Can I convert an 15 NES controller to 9 pin one

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

ouso1999

Can I convert an 15 NES controller to 9 pin one

Post by ouso1999 »

Hi guys
Hope you're having a nice day
I want to know if I have an nes or famiclone controller with 15 pinout plug can I convert it using a 9 pin wire plug by soldering ?
Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Re: Can I convert an 15 NES controller to 9 pin one

Post by Quietust »

Exactly what kind of 9-pin connector are you expecting to use?

Also, 15-pin connectors were exclusive to Famicom expansion port controllers - the NES only ever used its standard 7-pin connector.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

ouso1999 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:36 pm Hi guys
I want to know if I have an nes or famiclone controller with 15 pinout plug can I convert it using a 9 pin wire plug by soldering ?
In theory, yes, assuming they use pinouts similar to the ones listed on the NesDev wiki for the 9 and 15 pin famiclone connectors. However, you should use a multimeter to confirm that you have the correct pinouts for your controller and system, and that you can access the controller PCB to replace the cable.
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

Quietust wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:09 pm Exactly what kind of 9-pin connector are you expecting to use?

Also, 15-pin connectors were exclusive to Famicom expansion port controllers - the NES only ever used its standard 7-pin connector.
I would use another 9 pin connector of another controller to fit into my 9 pin famiclone

Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by Quietust »

Catyak wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:39 pm
In theory, yes, assuming they use pinouts similar to the ones listed on the NesDev wiki for the 9 and 15 pin famiclone connectors. However, you should use a multimeter to confirm that you have the correct pinouts for your controller and system, and that you can access the controller PCB to replace the cable.
Having now read that wiki article, converting a 15-pin Famicom controller to either a 9-pin Famiclone connector or a 7-pin NES connector is only possible if the only pins being used are 1 (GND), 4 (D4), 5 (D3), 8 (D0), 9 (CLK), 12 (OUT0), and 15 (+5V) - if any other pins are used, the controller will not work.
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

Yes . That 9 pin plug I'll be using belonged to a controller that I used to use on the famiclone for which I want to convert that 15 pin controller for . So it would fit into the famiclone .
How can I do that? Can I do that by simply replacing the plug by connecting each wire according to each one's color ? Sorry I'm a noob and couldn't find a 9 pin controller here in our country so I need help . Thank you so much
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by ouso1999 »

Quietust wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:43 pm
Having now read that wiki article, converting a 15-pin Famicom controller to either a 9-pin Famiclone connector or a 7-pin NES connector is only possible if the only pins being used are 1 (GND), 4 (D4), 5 (D3), 8 (D0), 9 (CLK), 12 (OUT0), and 15 (+5V) - if any other pins are used, the controller will not work.
Thank you but how could I know ?
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by Quietust »

ouso1999 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:53 pm
Quietust wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:43 pm Having now read that wiki article, converting a 15-pin Famicom controller to either a 9-pin Famiclone connector or a 7-pin NES connector is only possible if the only pins being used are 1 (GND), 4 (D4), 5 (D3), 8 (D0), 9 (CLK), 12 (OUT0), and 15 (+5V) - if any other pins are used, the controller will not work.
You'll need to take the controller apart and use a multimeter to trace out all of the connector pins to its circuit board.
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

Quietust wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:40 am
ouso1999 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:53 pm
Quietust wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:43 pm Having now read that wiki article, converting a 15-pin Famicom controller to either a 9-pin Famiclone connector or a 7-pin NES connector is only possible if the only pins being used are 1 (GND), 4 (D4), 5 (D3), 8 (D0), 9 (CLK), 12 (OUT0), and 15 (+5V) - if any other pins are used, the controller will not work.
You'll need to take the controller apart and use a multimeter to trace out all of the connector pins to its circuit board.
Nice . so how to connect the plug ? Should I connect and match the colors of each wire to connect them ?
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by lidnariq »

You'll need to match function to function. Colors aren't fixed and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

It's often what's here: https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/Controller_port_pinout but yours may vary.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Have in mind that 15 pin Famiclone joypads use $4017_D0 and $4017_CLK from the expansion port, while Famicom joypads (like Hori) huse $4016_D1 and $4016_CLK, so you should short both datas and both clocks on 15 pin male connector side.
Image My website: http://krzysiobal.com | Image My NES/FC flashcart: http://krzysiocart.com