Re-enable feed?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Bavi_H

Re-enable feed?

Post by Bavi_H »

The feed appears to be forbidden now. Can this be allowed again?

https://forums.nesdev.org/app.php/feed

You can see the feed links at the top of the HTML source code of any page of the forum:

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - nesdev.org" href="/app.php/feed">
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - News" href="/app.php/feed/news">
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - All forums" href="/app.php/feed/forums">
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - New Topics" href="/app.php/feed/topics">
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - Active Topics" href="/app.php/feed/topics_active">
I've used the feed from around 2022-07-02 to 2023-03-16 to keep an eye on the forum, but now it has stopped working.

Fiskbit wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 pmThe site was being aggressively scraped, causing high CPU load. brizzo has stopped it for now.
Is this why the feed was disabled? I was refreshing the feed along with my e-mail several times a day. Does it really cause high CPU load?
Last edited by Bavi_H on Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Re: Re-enable feed?

Post by tepples »

The "FAQ" link in the header also uses app.php and also shows "Forbidden".
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

There were over 100 IPs simultaneously scraping the site, mostly using app.php, which is why it's currently blocked. I've pointed brizzo to this thread.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

app.php is now accessible again.

Yesterday the event we had was using a huge amount of resources and slowing the site down. I had tried to block the event via firewall, but I was playing whack-a-mole with the massive amount of IPs that were abusing the server. Anyhow, it stopped and everything is back to normal :)