load guy's sprite

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
kennyroger

load guy's sprite

Post by kennyroger »

Hello, I'm from Brazil, so my words can have another meaning, I'm using the translator;...

I am at the beginning of this journey of learning.
I'm a Final Fight fan. I want to start learning based on it..
I'm stuck on the question of how to load the guy's sprite and make his mechanics walk, jump, etc..
can someone guide me how can i do this
Attachments
SNES - Final Fight 3 Final Fight Tough - Guy.png
Oziphantom

Re: load guy's sprite

Post by Oziphantom »

you might think that is easy, trust me that is "half the game"

start here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcwGeX_hLs I have more detailed write ups here https://github.com/oziphantom/ElementsS ... heClassics that might be easier for you to translate and understand. Also see https://nesdoug.com/2020/03/19/snes-projects/ for getting started.
kennyroger

Post by kennyroger »

Oziphantom wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:53 pm you might think that is easy, trust me that is "half the game"

start here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcwGeX_hLs I have more detailed write ups here https://github.com/oziphantom/ElementsS ... heClassics that might be easier for you to translate and understand. Also see https://nesdoug.com/2020/03/19/snes-projects/ for getting started.
I looked at this channel, I already know it, I follow it etc.. but it doesn't have a tutorial. example takes a style image that I posted .. and make the character walk etc.. There are no channels on the internet doing this type of content. there are many people wanting to learn.. but nobody creates.. I already know generate ROM etc.. mess with texts. so I don't know how to work with sprite.. make it appear and make it sndar etc..
Augustus Blackheart

Post by Augustus Blackheart »

For code examples there's Tepples' lorom template, (no handy link at the moment), Skipp & Friends source code, and the walker example from Neviksti's SNES starter kit which I don't have a handy link to.

The easiest starting point is probably Tepples or the walker code. Skipp & Friends isn't complicated; however, it has a bit more going on since its a full game.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Isso é porque o que você está pedindo é bem complexo. Pra fazer um personagem andar, pular, atacar, etc. você precisa de todo um sistema como base para poder carregar os gráficos, ler os controles, carregar e atualizar objetos, posicionar sprites, entre outras coisas. Um tutorial para isso seria praticamente "como fazer um jogo de luta", e precisaria ser extremamente longo e detalhado. A maioria das pessoas não tem tempo de fazer tutoriais tão detalhados assim pois estão ocupadas com seus próprios projetos, e muitos dos principiantes que "reclamam" da dificuldade de encontrar ajuda no início, acabam não voltando depois que ganham mais experiência para ajudar os novatos e criar tutoriais.

Eu não entendi bem se você está tentando criar um jogo do zero, ou hackear um jogo existente para inserir esse personagem. Os procedimentos para esses dois casos são bem diferentes, e envolvem diferentes desafios. Se você está criando um jogo do zero, vai ter que criar todo o sistema que mencionei acima (a "engine" do jogo) antes de sequer começar a trabalhar no personagem em si, e pra isso você precisa de um bom entendimento da plataforma e de conceitos gerais de programação de jogos (entidades, game loops, física, colisões, etc.).

Se você está tentando hackear um jogo existente, a parte fácil é que a engine já está 100% pronta, mas você precisa aprender como ela funciona e como você pode usá-la, o que também necessita de entendimento de conceitos gerais de programação de jogos, pois você precisa identificar como eles foram implementados por outra pessoa olhando só para o código. Particularmente, eu acho hackear mais difícil do que criar algo novo, mas ambos precisam de muita esforço e dedicação.

Enfim, os recursos são escassos sim, você dificilmente vai encontrar um tutorial cobrindo tópicos tão amplos quanto "fazer o jogo inteiro" (a menos que seja PONG ou algo simples assim), é uma tarefa grande demais para quebrar em simples tópicos. Infelizmente não existem atalhos, e se você quer criar seu próprio jogo de luta, vai ter que começar por baixo, aprendendo a montar um ROM vazio, desenhando sprites simples, fazendo-os se mover na tela, aplicando gravidade, trocando os gráficos para fazer animações, até que alguma hora você chega no nível de complexidade que está buscando.

Não é uma jornada fácil ou rápida, mas a comunidade desse fórum é muito prestativa, e certamente vai te ajudar a alcançar o próximo passo, desde que você demonstre que está se esforçando e não pedindo para os outros fazerem seu trabalho pra você e te entregarem tudo pronto. Minha dica é: não se afobe, escolha um objetivo realista para o seu próximo passo, e peça ajuda para completar esse passo especificamente.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

here is how to put a sprite and a meta sprite on the screen for SNES https://nesdoug.com/2020/05/24/sprites/
tepples

Post by tepples »

For those following along, here's Google's translation of tokumaru's post from Portuguese to English:
That's because what you're asking is quite complex. To make a character walk, jump, attack, etc. you need a whole system as a base to be able to load the graphics, read the controls, load and update objects, position sprites, among other things. A tutorial for this would be pretty much "how to make a fighting game", and would need to be extremely long and detailed. Most people don't have time to make such detailed tutorials because they are busy with their own projects, and many of the beginners who "complain" about the difficulty of finding help in the beginning, end up not coming back after they gain more experience to help the newbies and create tutorials.

I don't quite understand if you're trying to create a game from scratch, or hack an existing game to insert this character. The procedures for these two cases are quite different, and involve different challenges. If you're creating a game from scratch, you're going to have to create the whole system I mentioned above (the game's "engine") before you even start working on the character itself, and for that you need a good understanding of the platform and of general game programming concepts (entities, game loops, physics, collisions, etc.).

If you're trying to hack an existing game, the easy part is that the engine is 100% ready, but you need to learn how it works and how you can use it, which also requires understanding general game programming concept, because you need to identify how they were implemented by someone else just by looking at the code. Personally, I find hacking more difficult than creating something new, but both need a lot of effort and dedication.

Anyway, resources are scarce yes, you will hardly find a tutorial covering topics as broad as "making the whole game" (unless it's PONG or something simple like that), it's too big a task to break down into simple topics. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts, and if you want to create your own fighting game, you're going to have to start at the bottom, learning how to build an empty ROM, drawing simple sprites, making them move on the screen, applying gravity, changing the graphics to make animations, until at some point you reach the level of complexity you are looking for.

It's not an easy or quick journey, but the community on this forum is very helpful, and will certainly help you reach the next step, as long as you demonstrate that you are putting in the effort and not asking others to do your work for you and deliver it to you. all ready. My tip is: don't get carried away, choose a realistic goal for your next step, and ask for help completing that step specifically.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Sorry for writing that wall of text in Portuguese, but I figured it was easier to reach him that way.

BTW, I'm very impressed at the quality of machine-translated code these days! Almost no errors!
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

tokumaru wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:41 pm Sorry for writing that wall of text in Portuguese, but I figured it was easier to reach him that way.

BTW, I'm very impressed at the quality of machine-translated code these days! Almost no errors!
Not to get too much off topic, but somehow the first time I saw this post, I didn't notice that it was automatically translated in my browser and I really thought you wrote that, so it's kind of perplexing that now I realize that you wrote it in Portuguese.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
kennyroger

Post by kennyroger »

tokumaru wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:36 am Isso é porque o que você está pedindo é bem complexo. Pra fazer um personagem andar, pular, atacar, etc. você precisa de todo um sistema como base para poder carregar os gráficos, ler os controles, carregar e atualizar objetos, posicionar sprites, entre outras coisas. Um tutorial para isso seria praticamente "como fazer um jogo de luta", e precisaria ser extremamente longo e detalhado. A maioria das pessoas não tem tempo de fazer tutoriais tão detalhados assim pois estão ocupadas com seus próprios projetos, e muitos dos principiantes que "reclamam" da dificuldade de encontrar ajuda no início, acabam não voltando depois que ganham mais experiência para ajudar os novatos e criar tutoriais.

Eu não entendi bem se você está tentando criar um jogo do zero, ou hackear um jogo existente para inserir esse personagem. Os procedimentos para esses dois casos são bem diferentes, e envolvem diferentes desafios. Se você está criando um jogo do zero, vai ter que criar todo o sistema que mencionei acima (a "engine" do jogo) antes de sequer começar a trabalhar no personagem em si, e pra isso você precisa de um bom entendimento da plataforma e de conceitos gerais de programação de jogos (entidades, game loops, física, colisões, etc.).

Se você está tentando hackear um jogo existente, a parte fácil é que a engine já está 100% pronta, mas você precisa aprender como ela funciona e como você pode usá-la, o que também necessita de entendimento de conceitos gerais de programação de jogos, pois você precisa identificar como eles foram implementados por outra pessoa olhando só para o código. Particularmente, eu acho hackear mais difícil do que criar algo novo, mas ambos precisam de muita esforço e dedicação.

Enfim, os recursos são escassos sim, você dificilmente vai encontrar um tutorial cobrindo tópicos tão amplos quanto "fazer o jogo inteiro" (a menos que seja PONG ou algo simples assim), é uma tarefa grande demais para quebrar em simples tópicos. Infelizmente não existem atalhos, e se você quer criar seu próprio jogo de luta, vai ter que começar por baixo, aprendendo a montar um ROM vazio, desenhando sprites simples, fazendo-os se mover na tela, aplicando gravidade, trocando os gráficos para fazer animações, até que alguma hora você chega no nível de complexidade que está buscando.

Não é uma jornada fácil ou rápida, mas a comunidade desse fórum é muito prestativa, e certamente vai te ajudar a alcançar o próximo passo, desde que você demonstre que está se esforçando e não pedindo para os outros fazerem seu trabalho pra você e te entregarem tudo pronto. Minha dica é: não se afobe, escolha um objetivo realista para o seu próximo passo, e peça ajuda para completar esse passo especificamente.
eu so quero aprender pegar esse sprite de exemplo ai ..
deixar ele correto para animar..
eu não sei fazer o personagem aparecer e fazer o personagem andar pular etc..