Everdrive N8

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

SilverSurfer

Everdrive N8

Post by SilverSurfer »

Does anyone know where I can buy a brand new original Everdrive N8. I don’t need the Pro as it doesn’t really offer any significant upgrades. The original is good enough for me. I see it’s not available on Krizz website anymore. I don’t want to buy a clone version but an authentic original N8 so I want to be sure.

Any links ?
calima

Re: Everdrive N8

Post by calima »

It seems available on everdrive.me, which is the official seller?
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Indeed, it's supposedly in stock here. For what it's worth,I don't think the original Everdrive N8 is a quality product. I have seen many people encounter strange glitches and crashes on it that don't occur on original cartridges, and it can trigger sprite corruption on some consoles because it lacks termination resistors present on all other NES flash carts. For most people, it is probably good enough, but it's not a great product. The N8 Pro seems more stable.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I only have the original N8 60-pin version, but I had it for a long time and never really experienced strange glitches with it for supported mappers. It was the best Famicom flashcart that existed in its day and I don't think much has changed since that except for the Pro coming out which is obviously better in many ways.

Games with expansion audio are no good (including the FDS) on the original N8 though, the volume is too low and everything just sounds very wrong. It is also no longer updated.
The Pro should fix these problems, it has an op-amp to fix volume issues.
SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer »

Fiskbit wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:56 am Indeed, it's supposedly in stock here. For what it's worth,I don't think the original Everdrive N8 is a quality product. I have seen many people encounter strange glitches and crashes on it that don't occur on original cartridges, and it can trigger sprite corruption on some consoles because it lacks termination resistors present on all other NES flash carts. For most people, it is probably good enough, but it's not a great product. The N8 Pro seems more stable.
Thanks. I just can’t justify the Pro for a few more save states and larger roms that I’ll never play. Just need something to test the game I’m making and also some of the homebrews(not hacks) that have come out.

Is it considered taboo here to get opinions on the china everdrive n8? How’s that one?
calima

Post by calima »

It's not taboo, but you will get the response you expect. It's crap quality, and won't work with the official software. "Mine broke in two months" "I tried to update the software and now it's bricked" "saving doesn't work in game X".

The ethics of buying a clone are of course a separate issue. If you want something cheaper, get something like retrostage's programmer and one of their boards.

edit: Also should mention that Krikzz has a sale on every Black Friday.