Imgur purging images soon?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Imgur purging images soon?

Post by Dwedit »

Since Imgur is about to throw out some anonymously uploaded images, maybe someone could go through the post table to check for any images hosted there which need to be mirrored here?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
lidnariq

Re: Imgur purging images soon?

Post by lidnariq »

We've mentioned it to the sysadmin. I think it's being acted on?
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Can we add an image uploader to the site? Uploading images as attachment is inconvienient, when you are working on a loner post, presumably in notepad, plus there is limit of 5 per post.
A small subpage where you select image from your local disk or enter some existing image url and it generates BBC sode with thumbnail + url would do the best, exatly like they did on elektroda.pl (which I use mostly for uploading images to my posts)

I can help in that plus also help in transferring all the already existing links to external images in all nesdev's forum posts.
Image My website: http://krzysiobal.com | Image My NES/FC flashcart: http://krzysiocart.com
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

All imgur hosted images and albums linked from the forum posts have been scraped and archived a few days ago. The next step will be to inject these images back into the forum database as attachments, then update the posts. Will take a bit of time to complete this task.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

krzysiobal wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:31 am Can we add an image uploader to the site? Uploading images as attachment is inconvienient, when you are working on a loner post, presumably in notepad, plus there is limit of 5 per post.
A small subpage where you select image from your local disk or enter some existing image url and it generates BBC sode with thumbnail + url would do the best, exatly like they did on elektroda.pl (which I use mostly for uploading images to my posts)

I can help in that plus also help in transferring all the already existing links to external images in all nesdev's forum posts.
Thank you for the offer to help. Hopefully in the near future we are going to migrate to Xenforo forum software which will improve the overall experience of using the nesdev forums. Out of the box it simple to configure that externally linked images will be automatically added as attachments, along with off the shelf scripts to convert existing external links into attachments.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I think the same thing will be done for photobucket, another site that I remember using for a few pictures 10 years+ ago when it was not common to upload them on the site. They are removing free account recently.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Banshaku wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:40 pm I think the same thing will be done for photobucket, another site that I remember using for a few pictures 10 years+ ago when it was not common to upload them on the site. They are removing free account recently.
Photobucket already did do this a while ago IIRC
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Banshaku wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:40 pm I think the same thing will be done for photobucket, another site that I remember using for a few pictures 10 years+ ago when it was not common to upload them on the site. They are removing free account recently.
Dude! :lol: Since 2018, Photobuck's been sending me ransom letters, telling me to pay up or else all my invaluable desktop screencaps will be waffle-stomped down the drain. :lol:

Meanwhile, everything's still hotlinked: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php?p ... stcount=13 :twisted:

...which was the only reason I used Phobucket in the first place. :lol: Also, if I wanted to, I could right click any image and open it in a new tab without the watermark and save it.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Yeah not a good attitude, don't be surprised if they do take your photos down. They did warn you. Back them up.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Are you kidding? I couldn't care less. It's not like these are timeless family photographs--they're literal screengrabs I forgot about.

Unlike this goofy goober who:

1. had invaluable photos
2. neglected to backup said photos
3. ignored the notices
4. wasn't savvy enough to figure out the workaround(s)
5. ended up paying the fee before seeing the workarounds posted in their own thread