Game Gear All cartridge games list with details

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Kayumba

Game Gear All cartridge games list with details

Post by Kayumba »

Hi,
Do you know where can I find list for all Game Gear cartridge games?
With details like ;
  • Cartridge PCB version
  • Game size
  • Mapper chip
  • Flash chip
  • SRAM size
lidnariq

Re: Game Gear All cartridge games list with details

Post by lidnariq »

MAME's XML, and/or No-Intro's PCB photos.

(Unfortunately, No-Intro doesn't seem to think that the information about what's physically on the PCB belongs in their DATs, so you have to browse their photos)
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

lidnariq wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:38 am MAME's XML, and/or No-Intro's PCB photos.

(Unfortunately, No-Intro doesn't seem to think that the information about what's physically on the PCB belongs in their DATs, so you have to browse their photos)
Thanks lidnariq.
I will try do something with that to create one EXCEL file with more information like Mapping chip .

Do you know what are the fonction of those « Paging chip » ?
Why on some PCB they exist and not on others?
Can it be remplaced by some equivalent chip that manufactured till now?

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Kayumba wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:37 pm Do you know what are the fonction of those « Paging chip » ?
https://www.smspower.org/Development/Mappers
Why on some PCB they exist and not on others?
Some boards integrated the mapper inside the same chip as the ROM.

(Some games for the SMS were small enough to not need any mapper at all, but the GG games are all too big)
Can it be remplaced by some equivalent chip that manufactured till now?
I've made a replacement that fit in the ATF1502, but it's a little electricity hungry (around 1/4 W) even if still small compared to the GG's fluorescent backlight. And prices on the ATF1502 are no-where near as appealing as they used to be.
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

lidnariq wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:13 pm (Some games for the SMS were small enough to not need any mapper at all, but the GG games are all too big)
There are a few Game Gear games (like Columns and Woody Pop) that are allegedly 32KB according to no-intro, and shouldn't need a mapper, but they might use one for whatever reason.
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

lidnariq wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:13 pm I've made a replacement that fit in the ATF1502, but it's a little electricity hungry (around 1/4 W) even if still small compared to the GG's fluorescent backlight. And prices on the ATF1502 are no-where near as appealing as they used to be.
Please help me to understand.
SEGA 315-5912 or ATF1502 are an Logic Device, but what do that chip exactly ? And What is the programming fonction do?
If those Logic chips once programmed do only mapping pins of data's from ROM to cartridge slot.
And if I understand right 99% of Game Gear games have the same mapping. programming depend of game.
Why we can't just have one universal mapping ? Or "soldering jumpers" on pcb board for some different revisions of games ?
Like for SNES LoROM and HiROM mapping.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The Game Gear has a Z80, which can only address 64KiB of data directly.

But they wanted to publish games bigger than that. So they had to add a memory mapper, just like the NES, Game Boy, Atari 2600, and many others.
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

lidnariq wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:28 pm The Game Gear has a Z80, which can only address 64KiB of data directly.

But they wanted to publish games bigger than that. So they had to add a memory mapper, just like the NES, Game Boy, Atari 2600, and many others.
Ok,
So logic function of SEGA 315-5912 are helps to run games with more than 64KiB size, right ?
I suppose that we can find on internet files that can be used to program (to burn) into this Logic chip like ATF1502?
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

Hi guys again.

Here, I found some information that one "universal mapper" can be used for any games (small or larger than 48 kB) :
"...Emulating a "full" mapper in all cases does not cause any problems"
https://www.smspower.org/Development/Mappers

And here Raphaël was talking about how he programed chip for mapper function:
"...Using a CPLD programmed in the CUPL language"
https://www.raphnet.net/electronique/sm ... x_en.php#2

Now I would like to understand how can I do it.
Where I can learn it how to program CPLD chip in CUPL language ?
Do you have any link's for video or anything else that can help me to create this "universal mapper" for CPLD chip ?
Maybe someone have any project file ? (even if it's not finished project)

Thank's