ObscureDev wiki

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

Individualised

ObscureDev wiki

Post by Individualised »

Apparently this has existed for a while but I didn't know about it until now. What types of pages should we expect on this wiki? Game.com documentation would be cool.
freem

Re: ObscureDev wiki

Post by freem »

Link for those who were confused and/or didn't see it in the "Other Retro Dev" forum description: https://obscure.nesdev.org/wiki/Main_Page

At the moment, it appears to just have Casio PV-1000 and Namco Pac-Man hardware.

My initial guess is that this would be a "catch-all" dev resource for any platforms that don't already have some sort of wiki available?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Anything that a member of the community is interested in doing in-depth research into - not just aggregating existing research.

So far that's been me (PV-1000) and Lockster (Pacman).

Gamecom research is already being led by GuyPerfect elsewhere: http://perfectkiosk.net/ststgc.html

Personally, I find framebuffer-based consoles pretty boring so I won't be working on that one.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

ObscureDev is intended for smaller-scale platforms, to make it easy for people who are interested to just start documenting without any assistance from staff in spinning up a wiki and to reduce our overhead from having a bunch of separate wiki instances. This approach has some compromises in terms of things like searchability, but the ease is worth it. I suspect this sort of low-friction approach means we'll end up documenting more platforms, and it gives people a place to easily put their original findings.

If we tackle any more major or very complicated platforms like the NES or SNES, those will likely get their own dedicated wiki.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Where if anywhere would be the appropriate place to request things like "how do I set up an emulator to run a homemade ROM?" or "where's a hello world project I could start playing with?"
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Is this related to the ObscureDev wiki somehow? I'm confused by the question. We have the Other Retro Dev forum for development questions about platforms other than the NES and SNES. If you have questions about any such platform, you can ask them there.
tepples

Post by tepples »

It was indeed related to requesting a brief note on the wiki about how to get a development and testing environment set up for each such platform. It sounds like you're saying the expected procedure is to ask in Other Retro Dev, wait for a reply, and add it to the wiki.

EDIT: After having slept on it, I now realize that I should have phrased "Where if anywhere would be the appropriate place to request things like" as "Where if anywhere would be the appropriate place to request that somebody add to the wiki answers to things like". I had assumed, based on conventions of another widely used wiki using MediaWiki software, that asking a question on an article's talk page implied "I think adding a sourced answer to my question to the article would improve it."
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Your rephrased question makes a lot more sense to me, thanks. Here, Other Retro Dev, or Discord all seem fine for that kind of thing. I think this is worth keeping in mind for whatever platforms are added, but by their nature of being obscure platforms, they're unlikely to have good development environments.