moving stuff

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

nonameorslogan

moving stuff

Post by nonameorslogan »

Hello , i'm having trouble moving things, particularly door tiles, ... I move them to where I want them to be, but I think the attribute information isn't being carried over, as the door(s) don't work anymore, is this why the doors aren't working as normal? (particularly open door tiles, that go to the next area) is there a program that can handle this easily?
Fiskbit

Re: moving stuff

Post by Fiskbit »

Hi, and welcome! Can you give us more details about what you're doing? Your post is pretty vague and we won't be able to help you without a lot more information.
nonameorslogan

Post by nonameorslogan »

Sure, to be more specific, in Maniac Mansion I'd like to take the "open" front door, (as opposed to the closed one), move it (or copy it), to say the lawn, effectively making a portal (of sorts) to the inside of the house, from the lawn ...obviously this would also be fun in say Zelda, Where a person could move an entrace, say the tree, move it to by the lake, and it would still take you to inside dungeon 1... apparently just moving the tiles (in Maniac Mansion) breaks the door, or at least, isn't taking all the attributes with it... making it a non-functional door, ... or portal... my question is... how do we make this happen? This would open a lot of doors. jk - but it would, it would open the doors for game modification (if done tastefully)...
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

If you're specifically working with the non-Japanese version of Maniac Mansion, you should know that the entire game is written using the SCUMM engine, with the Room resources having been modified to store NES-style data. I'd actually recommend using the ScummVM "extract_mm_nes" utility to create LFL files (similar to those used by the DOS version) and then modify+test them in ScummVM before trying to insert them back into the NES ROM.

Edit: an even better option would be to first figure out how to apply your desired modifications to the MS-DOS version of Maniac Mansion, since the data structures are mostly the same (aside from the exact format of the graphics data) - once you've done that, porting the changes to the NES version should be easier.
Last edited by Quietust on Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
nonameorslogan

Post by nonameorslogan »

I appreciate it, I will post again if there's any success, or failure.
nonameorslogan

Post by nonameorslogan »

I'm having trouble finding the 'extract_mm_nes' ...

I'm running windows unfortunately
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

nonameorslogan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:19 pm I'm having trouble finding the 'extract_mm_nes' ...

I'm running windows unfortunately
You need to download the "2.7.0 Tools" package and then run "scummvm-tools-cli --tool extract_mm_nes [-o outputdir] <infile.PRG>" (where 'infile.PRG' is the original ROM image with the iNES header stripped off). Also, keep in mind that the resulting LFL files will have their contents XORed with 0xFF (to match the DOS version of the game).

I'd also recommend downloading the source code so you can see how it constructs those files (and thus learn how to extract data from them and insert it back into the ROM).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
nonameorslogan

Post by nonameorslogan »

I have been bothered by other projects, soon I will be able to "crank" it up