Universal Lady Bug Arcade Game 1981

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

lovebug

Universal Lady Bug Arcade Game 1981

Post by lovebug »

Back in 2021 I wrote a port of an arcade game from 1981 called Lady Bug in 8 bit 6502 assembly code for the Acorn BBC Micro Computer which is also from around the same year

I plan to rewrite it for the old grey box as I think it would run very well (once ive had a go at some simple sprite, sound and input tests as ive not programmed a nes before)

The game is open source on github if you would like a copy https://github.com/LoveBug2084/LadyBug

And the full development thread is on the stardot forums https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 53&t=21812

Note: video and screen shots are from an earlier build
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by lovebug on Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Memblers
Site Admin

Re: Universal Lady Bug Arcade Game 1981

Post by Memblers »

Your BBC Micro port looks and sounds great. That would be really cool to see it ported to the NES, I hope to see that. It was one of the first games I ever owned on the Colecovision, and it's a really good one as far as maze games go.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Thanks Memblers

I had to draw all new graphics for the BBC version as the screen resolution is much lower in 8 color mode

The NES resolution is high enough so I'll be able to use the original sprites from the arcade game and some nice palette colours, it should look fantastic and a lot more like the arcade original
Image Image Image Image
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I'm a fan of Ueda Kazutoshi, I think he really has a knack for good game design, and he is a co-founder of Atlus. Your BBC port looks professional, the fact that you had to redraw the graphics and still looks that good makes it even more so.

Looking forward to a NES port of this game! It deserves to be on more platforms than it is. :)
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Pokun wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:05 pmI'm a fan of Ueda Kazutoshi, I think he really has a knack for good game design
yeah I agree, Ueda Kazutoshi's got it 8-)
Pokun wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:05 pmYour BBC port looks professional, the fact that you had to redraw the graphics and still looks that good makes it even more so.
thanks

the BBC port was difficult

redrawing the graphics was a bit difficult as the pixels are 2:1 aspect ratio
I drew the vertical enemies but couldn't rotate them 90 for the horizontal because of the aspect ratio so horizontal enemies needed to be drawn too :P

the major issue was that the BBC doesn't have any hardware sprites or tile based graphics, it only has bit-mapped graphics so the hardest part was drawing the images onto the screen/redrawing the background images when they move without flickering as its a huge amount of data (well for a 6502 that is) and so most of the cpu cycles in this port were spent on drawing to the screen
Pokun wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:05 pmLooking forward to a NES port of this game! It deserves to be on more platforms than it is. :)
programming the NES with its hardware sprites and tile based graphics should be a breeze :D

I don't have a lot of spare time but I will start on some sprite/sound/input tests shortly and then put in a couple of hours here and there and crack on with the conversion
Image Image Image Image
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Wow that sounds tough, I have hardly ever touched video program on a system that doesn't use hardware sprites/tiles. :)
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I don't see any real issues with porting this to the nes apart from the color changing objects (hearts, letters, skulls) as if I'm correctly thinking the screen color attributes are for a 2x2 tile map ?

I have some things to learn about the nes hardware, interrupts and such

will be writing some test programs to get an idea on how the nes functions
Image Image Image Image
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Yeah, color attributes are 16x16 pixel grid. It looks like the game only has the special objects next to walls or empty space, so that helps. One of the background palettes could be like 0:transparent, 1:wall, 2:letters/hearts, 3:skull. Then you can just cycle the color by updating the palette RAM. As long as the walls and hinges don't need to overlap (hard to tell without seeing the grid), then you have two other sets be like transparent, wall, flowers, ???, and transparent, gates, hinges, flowers.

When laying out the screen, keep in mind the upper 8 and lower 8 pixels are cut off by TVs. But it's safer to leave 16 pixels, as some TVs are worse about it. I'd suggest centering the playfield vertically, and putting the status info on the side, like the Coleco port does. It's up to you, though.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Memblers wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:28 am Yeah, color attributes are 16x16 pixel grid. It looks like the game only has the special objects next to walls or empty space, so that helps. One of the background palettes could be like 0:transparent, 1:wall, 2:letters/hearts, 3:skull. Then you can just cycle the color by updating the palette RAM. As long as the walls and hinges don't need to overlap (hard to tell without seeing the grid), then you have two other sets be like transparent, wall, flowers, ???, and transparent, gates, hinges, flowers.

When laying out the screen, keep in mind the upper 8 and lower 8 pixels are cut off by TVs. But it's safer to leave 16 pixels, as some TVs are worse about it. I'd suggest centering the playfield vertically, and putting the status info on the side, like the Coleco port does. It's up to you, though.
thanks some good ideas there

for the layout I'm thinking of keeping it the same as the BBC port so on the NES that'll be 23x26 tiles centered but I'm not sure the text will fit :roll: I need to do some experiments
Image Image Image Image
elseniorx1989

Post by elseniorx1989 »

I was looking at your Port for BBC micro, it's very good. I hope you can do the NES version just as well. The NES needs more games like this, I will follow your progress
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Hi, I'm sorry I've not been around

I had to put my plans for porting this to the nes on hold as I had quite a nasty stroke and since then I have been slowly recovering

My energy level these days is extremely low but I do still plan to write this port when I'm feeling up to it

Again sorry

I'll be back :+1:
Image Image Image Image
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

You have no need to apologize; your health comes first. Good luck on your recovery!
elseniorx1989

Post by elseniorx1989 »

lovebug wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:28 pm Hi, I'm sorry I've not been around

I had to put my plans for porting this to the nes on hold as I had quite a nasty stroke and since then I have been slowly recovering

My energy level these days is extremely low but I do still plan to write this port when I'm feeling up to it

Again sorry

I'll be back :+1:
I hope you recover soon 🙏