Trying to make the backmost sprites drop out first.

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
psycopathicteen

Re: Trying to make the backmost sprites drop out first.

Post by psycopathicteen »

This has got to be the most frustrating optimization job I've ever done. Doing some tests I figured out that 4-pixel segments are the largest segment size without distractingly noticeable dropout, so at least I'm getting somewhere, but it feels like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to optimizations.
SNES AYE

Post by SNES AYE »

Sounds like you are at making progress tho.

Are you planning on using this in your Alisha's Adventure game?

It would be cool to see it in action there.
psycopathicteen

psycopathicteen wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:35 am Since entire 32x32 disappearing is extremely noticeable I decided to replace them with 4 16x16s, by replacing the OAM entry with a 16x16 sprite, and appending 3 16x16 sprites at the end of OAM.

However this leads to the problem of sprite priorities being wrong, by having 3 of the 4 16x16s being moved to the back of OAM, and this will be hard to fix without massive engine rewrites.
Okay, so I got around this by using a linked list, and then have it copy it to a 2nd OAM. Still is prone to slowdown.
calima

Post by calima »

Perhaps at some point focusing on content instead of micro-optimizations would be a good plan?
psycopathicteen

People who have already scene my demos would be confused why there is more slowdown now than there used to be.
psycopathicteen

Tonight I merged the meta-sprite building code with the flicker reduction code and that seems to have made a major improvement.

Post by 93143 »

Nice. It seems like project stall is a big issue with SNES development, so news of progress is always welcome.