Trying to remember an old ROM

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

proxy

Trying to remember an old ROM

Post by proxy »

So a memory popped into my head, and it's driving me insane, LOL. It's entirely unimportant, but I figured I'd just ask if anyone else remembers.

It was a test ROM, which I could have sworn was just called "NESTEST.nes", (but is NOT blaarg's CPU instruction test suite).

IIRC, it started with a full screen white cross pattern, and had colored sprites moving in a square pattern across the screen, I think that the sprites went behind the horizontal bar, but in front of the vertical bar. All while the sound channels were playing an increasing and decreasing pitched pattern.

Finally, it would land on a controller test screen where whichever buttons you pressed would light up the appropriate indicators on the screen for both controllers.

Does anyone else remember this ROM? does anyone have it? Just for completionism's sake, heh.
tepples

Re: Trying to remember an old ROM

Post by tepples »

Was this the one where one of the sprite test screens was male and female signs, and another was b d p q to demonstrate sprite flipping?
proxy

Post by proxy »

YES! that was it. Just to end my torture, if you've got a link to it, please share :-)
tepples

Post by tepples »

As far as I can tell, the demo in this video by MrNorbert1994 appears to be an early tech demo by iNES emulator developer Marat Fayzullin. The video shows six scenes:

1. PPURAM TEST OK, CPURAM TEST OK
2. EBU-esque color bars scroll sideways then up to reveal a 16x16-pixel square of letters and numbers, over ascending pulse notes
3. pqbd start at top left, move diagonally as a group over vertical white stripe with pq behind and bd in front, pause briefly over the stripe, and move to top left, over descending pulse notes
4. colored 8x8-pixel square sprites expand from top left to form a grid of 8 rows of 8, with all sprites in a column as same color, over ascending and descending triangle notes
5. male and female symbols at top left corner with a large white cross, male signs go down along the left side in front of the cross and female signs go right along the top behind the cross, where they break off and head toward the bottom right corner into three rows of male-female pairs, over ascending and descending hiss noise
6. plain-looking test for JOYSTICK 1 and JOYSTICK 2

Some YouTube uploaders have conflated this with the NTF2 test cartridge. It's not to be confused with the actual NTF2 test cartridge.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
johnmph

Post by johnmph »

Is it that ?
Attachments
3.nes
Nes test file
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

In This Video, someone runs a gray cartridge with a label on it mentioning that it is an NTF2 test cartridge, and it is the "PPURAM TEST OK" program, not the one with Mario. Not sure if that's a real cartridge or a reproduction.

Another video uploaded in 2008 also shows the same gray cartridge, uploader claims it was purchased from a collector.

The test cartridge ROM also contains some bits of DOS and portions of the source code in there if you look at it in a hex editor. And the second 16K is a duplicate of the first 16K, suggesting that 32K size is an overdump.

edit: The DOS found in the NES ROM is PC DOS 2.0 (1983). 512 bytes from COMMAND.COM (0x3300-0x3500) are in the NES file at 0x0C10. Source code is at 1F50-3F51, but some bytes were overwritten.

So given the fact that it's an overdump (very unlikely for homebrew to repeat the same 16K twice), someone claiming to have purchased the cartridge from a collector, PC DOS 2.0 sitting in the NES rom, and Source code sitting in the NES ROM (very unlikely for homebrew), this is most likely not made by Marat.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Dwedit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:00 pm So given the fact that it's an overdump (very unlikely for homebrew to repeat the same 16K twice), someone claiming to have purchased the cartridge from a collector, PC DOS 2.0 sitting in the NES rom, and Source code sitting in the NES ROM (very unlikely for homebrew), this is most likely not made by Marat.
There's also the fact that the Controller Test bit at the end doesn't check for Select/Start on the second controller but does have a "MIC OK" indicator when $4016 bit 2 gets set, suggesting that it was made for the Famicom rather than the NES (which doesn't seem like something Marat would've done).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
proxy

Post by proxy »

johnmph wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:14 pmIs it that ?
Yup, that's the ROM!

love seeing the interesting analysis too.

Thanks guys, I knew you wouldn't let me down ;-)
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Just for fun, here's a GIF.
NES Test Cartridge.gif
NES Test Cartridge.gif (314.53 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!