LASEReyes

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Jedi QuestMaster

Re: LASEReyes

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

I squandered last month, but hopefully I can get a decent amount of progress done before the holidays pick up.

Where was I? The cliff edge tiles:
creek_stream_edge.gif
creek_stream_edge.gif (367 Bytes) Viewed 6740 times
It gives the impression of the water moving up and down.

Together with the entire stream tiles:
creek_stream.gif
creek_stream.gif (1.52 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
I think this works for now (to me, the water looks a little too 'jumpy' though), but I've gotta move on. I need to now do some vertical stream tiles.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

It looks like very lively water. It doesn't really look bad in any way to me, but it's a bit too early to judge without seeing it on a game screen.
Jedi QuestMaster

Here is an example of how it all looks together:
creek_outline_center_stairs_north2x.gif
creek_outline_center_stairs_north2x.gif (6.78 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
I plan on having all playable characters able to jump over a single 16-pixel wide gap (but not diagonally). Falling/jumping in the water is not death. In this screen, the player can advance to the left side of this stream (the blocks are not pushable).

Edit: I decided to make the waterfall taller as well as change its animation.
creek_sample_center2x.gif
creek_sample_center2x.gif (6.87 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
Edit: Woohoo! I'm done with the graphics of this zone.
creek_sample_left2x.gif
creek_sample_left2x.gif (6.7 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
creek_sample_right2x.gif
creek_sample_right2x.gif (6.83 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
Jedi QuestMaster

I intend to repurpose the cliff tiles for the MOUNTAIN ZONE, and a key feature here will be the presence of multiple floors:
mountain_creek_unaligned.png
mountain_creek_unaligned.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
Some stages will follow the source of the river that's seen in the CREEK ZONE I just did.

While scaling the mountain, I want to scroll the screen up rather than using multiple still screens, and one problem with that is that the waterfall doesn't align when falling on the left or right perspectives:
mountain_creek_unaligned.png
mountain_creek_unaligned.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 3087 times

One solution I found is to use parallax scrolling for the top portion and keep it aligned when moving left/right:
mountain_creek_elevation.gif
mountain_creek_elevation.gif (52.09 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
I already hate this, and after giving it some thought, I have a workaround: I split the floors into separate screens and only scroll up/down (Zelda-style) after climbing stairs. I would need to keep the waterfall on the center perspective during this transition. I can also freely scroll the screen left/right, following the player:
mountain_creek_elevation.png
mountain_creek_elevation.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
Edit: This may not look as great, but if I ease up on the perspective of the waterfall, I can also adjust the river tile above to meet up in the middle. With this, I can freely scroll the screen in all directions at once without worrying about the tiles looking weird! (I'd also like the player to be able to jump from a ledge to the floor below.)
mountain_creek_sample_left.gif
mountain_creek_sample_left.gif (6.76 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
Jedi QuestMaster

Aww man. :( Has it been two months already? I've been working on logistical stuff: tiling graphics, counting tiles, redoing things I hate. :x

But now I want to work backwards because up to this point this whole project seemed kinda aimless (like, how many levels is this game going to have? how does the player navigate from Zone A to Zone B? What's the objective in each zone?) So I decided to make a primitive overworld map :) :
world_map_zones_layout3.gif
world_map_zones_layout3.gif (19.47 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
The zones I haven't done graphics for have placeholder text. For now, it's not adhering to the NES color limitations. 'DOWNTOWN ZONE' can't be accessed until certain criteria are met (I don't know what they are yet). Some zones can be accessed in more than one direction.

'MEADOW ZONE' AND 'DESERT ZONE' are hidden zones that are not accessible until 'DOWNTOWN ZONE' is complete.

So based on this map, I am about 4/9ths (44.44444444444444444444444444444444444444444%) done with the graphics. :?
Jedi QuestMaster

For this ice cave screen, I wanted the floor to look like slippery ice, but in order to keep the tile count reasonable, I'd have to limit myself to one 8x8 ice tile (all the laser tiles would double if I used even just two distinct ice tiles!).

Which one looks best? (try to ignore the corners; I didn't want to spend time doing them for every single pattern)
example1a.png
example1a.png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 888 times
example1b.png
example1b.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 888 times
example1c.png
example1c.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 888 times
example1d.png
example1d.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 888 times
(I think I like the last one the best.)

If anyone wants to submit a pattern, feel free.
calima

Post by calima »

Last one to me.
lidnariq
Site Admin

Post by lidnariq »

Of those four, the last one.

One suggestion: you could make it more like Megazeux's "ice", which is all solid blue, but tiles randomly get a "sparkle" animation:
Attachments
megazeux-ice.gif
megazeux-ice.gif (20.2 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Jedi QuestMaster

lidnariq wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:06 amall solid blue, but tiles randomly get a "sparkle" animation:
I suppose that could work...
example2.gif
example2.gif (4.67 KiB) Viewed 834 times
...and not all the tiles need these sparkle animations.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that ice tiles will only ever be in a 'cave' setting, meaning the laser will only work at the entrance of the cave (where the light is). So this area is supposed to be void of light. So sparkles only make sense at the entrance of the cave (or when the laser is going off? I guess the laser creates light?). So at least the players will be clued in that the area they're entering is ice without even taking a step.

I just didn't want to confuse the player into thinking this is water.

Edit: Yeah, I think this looks better. Thanks, lidnariq!
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah the last one looks best and the one with sparkles looks even better. It don't think it will be easily be confused for water.

Laser is very focused light which doesn't spread much at all (making it very poor tool for illuminating a dark room), but unless the cave is absolute devoid of light, in which case you can't see anything and is very hard to achieve, I think there could still be sparkles though. Besides, since the sparkles are mostly a visual cue and an aesthetic choice, realism doesn't have to be considered too much.
Jedi QuestMaster

Pokun wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:08 amBesides, since the sparkles are mostly a visual cue and an aesthetic choice, realism doesn't have to be considered too much.
Yeah, I think I'll leave it as is. The only problem now is that it's starting to look like sky to me. :?

I started working on a lake zone, in which the water serves as the 'ground' tiles for the laser (meaning now whenever a laser goes over land, it will use sprite tiles).

Like the creek zone, I want the lake tiles to be animated (using only a single 8x8 tile with as little frames as possible.
lake.gif
lake.gif (756 Bytes) Viewed 655 times
lake_outline_center.gif
lake_outline_center.gif (2.53 KiB) Viewed 655 times
I think this needs work. :lol:
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:28 pm The only problem now is that it's starting to look like sky to me. :?
Well this is how SMK does it: https://www.snesmaps.com/maps/SuperMari ... rCup3.html
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

The foam lines look a little thick maybe.
I've always thought it was hard to draw foam patterns and animating them is even harder.
Since NES has 3 colors you can actually have two layers of foam patterns of different tints of light blue or white if you want to make it even harder. :)
This can also be abused if animating using palette cycling, but the foam patterns have to be carefully placed to make it work.

In worst case you can just draw dots or small wave patterns, many commercial games gets away with very simple patterns like that and often even without animating them.
Jedi QuestMaster

creaothceann wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:47 pm
Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:28 pm The only problem now is that it's starting to look like sky to me. :?
Well this is how SMK does it: https://www.snesmaps.com/maps/SuperMari ... rCup3.html
Problem was, when I was trying to do that using only the same 8x8 tiles, it would look like this:
example1a.png
example1a.png (10.29 KiB) Viewed 257 times
But now I know I can ignore that and place the shiny tiles wherever the laser is never going to go:
example2a.gif
example2a.gif (5.04 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Does this look good? I fee like it needs to go a shade lighter,
example2ab.png
example2ab.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 257 times
which conflicts with the darker cave tiles, and the whole dark conveyance.
Pokun wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:05 amSince NES has 3 colors you can actually have two layers of foam patterns of different tints of light blue or white if you want to make it even harder. :)
The other two colors are the laser tiles
lake_tile_gax.png
lake_tile_gax.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 257 times
So the other foam layer would have to be white. :oops:
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see, that's probably fine.

I like the that last light-blue one, it looks more like ice than night sky.