I just dumped my Wii's flash memory

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

I just dumped my Wii's flash memory

Post by Dwedit »

Virtual Console games have INES headers.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Seriously?
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Seen it before, usually in game compilations. You suppose in this case it's actually used by their emulator, since it's not limited to mapperless games anymore?

Some companies don't even bother to check the validity of the ROMs they download. The developers of Taito Legends 2 (PS2) used an old MAME ROM set for Bust-A-Move Again...which mistakenly contained Puzzle Bobble 2's sound ROMs. Oops!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

from Tecmo Bowl

Tecmo Bowl is extensively hacked to remove any traces of player names, and prevent the title screen from advancing to the scrolling portion where the players' names are listed.
For some other strange reason, they changed the copyright date to 1990, despite the original claiming 1988 and 1989 in various places in the rom.
Buried in the Wii rom is still the copyright notice for the NFL players association, for some reason.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Nessie

Re: I just dumped my Wii's flash memory

Post by Nessie »

Dwedit wrote:Virtual Console games have INES headers.
lol, good find! iNES headers on the Wii are incredibly ironic given Nintendo's official stance on emulation:
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#emergence
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

yeah, all a big joke. That policy i mean, lol. Don't mean to get OT, but they've been taking advantage of Nintendo fans lately, IMO. Why not let the NESdevs do their work for them as well? :lol:
Noob sticky!!
Please document this part of the NESdevWiki!! XD
YOU NEED A RETROMACHINESHOP!!
Bregalad

Re: I just dumped my Wii's flash memory

Post by Bregalad »

Dwedit wrote:Virtual Console games have INES headers.
OH MY GOD ! This is the best joke since they cpied pockedNES to make their GBA "NES" games.
Nintendo are terribly hypocritical ! (does that word even exists ? according to google it do.) They fight against emulation scene and I wouldn't be surprised if themselves used code from open source emulators and downloaded their commercial games from the internet to made the virtual console.

So basically they fight the emulation scene because it make them lost millions of $$ but they use them to make millions of $$ as well. I guess that's at least a compensation.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Hudson, Atlus, Jaleco, and WayForward used PocketNES, not Nintendo. Nintendo used their own emulator.
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

wait!!! so what kinda liscense was there around the iNES format??? who gets to sue Nintendo!!?? :P :lol:
tepples

Post by tepples »

Laserbeak43 wrote:wait!!! so what kinda liscense was there around the iNES format???
How about "facts are not copyrightable" and "interoperability can outweigh copyright" and "Sega v. Accolade"?
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

facts?
was just asking.
Noob sticky!!
blargg

Post by blargg »

I guess it's official then:

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Maybe I ask too much but what happens when you paste iNES header and the following 256kb a new file, name it tecmobowl.nes and run it into an emulator ?
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 »

blargg wrote:I guess it's official then:

LOLOLOOLOL
Noob sticky!!
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Laserbeak43 wrote:wait!!! so what kinda liscense was there around the iNES format??? who gets to sue Nintendo!!?? :P :lol:
I know that was a joke, but seriously...why do so many topics on this board eventually derail into licensing issues/debates? :|

I can think of so many projects that have been hurt (or outright killed) in some way by license incompatibilities--licenses on code that is meant to be shared. It's sick.

(uh oh, my "thread split" senses are tingling)