Mega Man 9 Soundtrack COMPLETELY Remade in NSF

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tssf

Post by tssf »

They're part of 4ch, and post the games anonymously and have absolutely no contact information. So, contacting is nearly impossible. Doesn't matter though. The guy who's made the music for the MM7 and MM8 8-bit remakes also remade some MM9 music using that same music software. The results are on YouTube, however, they're not entirely accurate and they don't sound very NES-like. They sound like they're intending to sound like the 2A03, however at least the S3M's when no interpolation is on, actually sounds LIKE the 2A03.

Mega Man 9's music, despite using higher quality samples, are still using the logarithmic frequency tables that the NES used with pitch bends and everything. The result of which has higher quality tone samples, while still keeping the same frequency sweeps that you'd hear on the NES. The frequency sweeps that are simulated with that obscure music system that the MM7 8-bit guys are using all sound linear, which takes the "Megaman character" out of the triangle toms.
Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare »

The program is called 'pxtone' and its by the same author who wrote cave story, Daisuke 'Pixel' Amaya.
The songs in mm7 remake and mm8 remake are in the 'protected, uneditable' .pttune format
Unfortunately, the fact that these files are uneditable because they're compiled is a myth; they are uneditable because they have a 'don't allow edit' checksum and string set in their headers. Very annoying, and probably easy to hack around.
on protected files, the 'magic header checksum' (which is set correctly on 'editable' .ptcop files) is cleared, and the id string is changed to something different.
Hacking pxtone.exe to allow edits regardless of the header would be a trivial (and much appreciated) hack.
Crudely bolted on 'security' like this irks me a lot. If you want the file to be uneditable, either encrypt it, or actually compile it in a way where it cannot be restored to its original state.

In short: other than the header changes, .pttune and .ptcop files are 100% identical.
You cannot edit the former. You can edit the latter.
I'm hoping someone comes up with a hack to allow edits with both, or a program to 'deprotect' .pttune files back into .ptcop files by fixing the header and checksum.
As proof of concept, I managed to deprotect one by hand using a header transplant, but the new header has the tempo set all wrong and cannot be fixed from in the program itself.

LN
caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Version 0.9.0.3, Patch offset 0x28842 to 0xEB to disable the edit prohibit. (Not compatible with older format files though, but still, the protection is completely stupid, if it only checks one thing.)

Version 0.8.8.8, patch offset 0x29182 to 0xEB

Version 0.9.1.4, patch offset 0x293D2 to 0xEB.

Any other version, search for 0x3E E0 01 00 00 74. There should only be one instance, if so, replace the with 0x3E E0 01 00 00 EB.

(This took me less than 5 minutes to crack.)
Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare »

SWEET! thanks!

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
mikeforte

Post by mikeforte »

So I recently downloaded an 8-bit version of Megaman 7 that I've been hacking/editing by making new .wav files and editing the .bmp files. I was interested in trying to replace the music, which is all .pttune files, and I've had trouble figuring out how to edit these files.

Reading this forum, I understand that by doing a Patch offset one will be able to edit .pttune files using pxtone, but how exactly is this done? Is it as simple as opening a file in notepad and changing some text in the programming, or is it more complicated?

Any help for a n00b trying to make a friendly edit to a Megaman Game is greatly appreciated! :D

-Mikeforte
caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

mikeforte: I wrote up a quick search and replace patcher for pxtone. (Make a backup first.) http://caitsith2.com/music/pxtonepatcher.zip (source code included)

Just drag the pxtone executable on top of the patcher. If successful, it will let you know. From this point on, you should be able to edit everything at will.
Connor

Post by Connor »

Hey there, sorry to dredge this thing up, but I just realized I made a pretty disastrous mistake in saving my PXtone files last night--I saved a relatively long and complex (but only partway finished) song as a .pttune and I need it to be a .ptcop or change my PXtone to allow .pttunes to be editable. I tried the above link to a crack for it, but the link isn't active anymore. Can anyone help me with this?
caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Above link fixed.