Satoshi Matrix Bead Sprites

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

SatoshiMatrix

Satoshi Matrix Bead Sprites

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

Hey all, I've something that I think this community would be interested in seeing. Since I was a kid, I've loved craftwork. Making things out of wood, homemade christmas ornaments, that sort of thing. For about a year now, I've taken up a sort of unusual hobby. How could I combine my love of craftwork with my other favorite hobby - ratro gaming? The answer: fuse beads.

Fuse beads, a simple craft meant for children to create simple shapes, is based on a grid format, just as pixels are in sprites. Doing some guesswork originally, then finally getting serious with actual spritesheets, I've since made many sprites.

As most of you guys already know, I'm a huge Rockman fan, almost bordering an obsession. I'd like to show you guys what I've made! I literally have hundreds of beadsprites. I'm posting here on this board because these are all classic gaming related and probably gets more traffic.

Unlike most spriters, I've gone to great lengths to make sure that my sprites adhere to the NES color pallet as closely as possible in general (meaning they are never miscolored) but I also adhere to their original full-color designs, and recolor the sprites to match what they would look in in artwork as opposed to the limited amount of colors the NES could produce for them. You'll see what I mean as I post my works.

So anyway, without further ado, here's my sprite works! All items are for sale and I do offer commission work for custom orders. I take pride in what I do, so any orders placed with be met with the highest standards complete with backing for extra strength. magnets are also optional to put these on any fridge. This isn't a sale thread though - just something to show off my hundred of works, a few a time not to overwhelm you though!

This is a series of various sprites. You've got a series of Tetris blocks, Bub from Bobble Bobble, Shantae from one of the GBC's best games of the same name, a custom made Zero Suit 8-bit Samus, Luigi, a ? Block and a Koopa troopa from SMB1, DigDug, The Wizard from my favorite childhood C64 game, and finally a bead sprite Famicom.

Various sprites. The bottom right sprite is suppose to be Super Joe in Megaman sprite style, but it actually ends up looking more like Tomonobu Itagaki. 8)

Bosses from Megaman 1. From left to right and top to bottom: Dr. Light, Rush, Protoman, Megaman, Roll, Cutman, Gutsman, Iceman, Bombman, Fireman, Elecman. Oilman and Timeman are missing as I don't have any sprites for them. Can someone here help?

Bosses from Megaman 2. From left to right and top to bottom: Metalman, Airman, Bubbleman, Quickman, Crashman, Flashman, Heatman, Woodman. Flashman, Crashman, and Bubbleman have been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 3. From left to right and top to bottom: Needleman, Magnetman, Geminiman, Hardman, Topman, Snakeman, Sparkman, Shadowman. Snakeman has been color enhanced slightly by adding the red snake eyes he should have.

Bosses from Megaman 4. From left to right and top to bottom: Brightman, Toadman, Drillman, Pharaohman, Ringman, Dustman, Diveman, Skullman.

Bosses from Megaman 5. From left to right and top to bottom: Gravityman, Waveman, Stoneman, Gyroman, Starman, Chargeman, Napalmman, Crystalman.
Note that all these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 6. From left to right and top to bottom: Blizzardman, Centaurman, Flameman, Knightman, Plantman, Windman, Tomahawkman, Yamatoman.
Again, note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 7 FC. From left to right and top to bottom: Freezeman, Junkman, Burstman, Cloudman, Springman, Slashman, Shademan, Turboman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on third 16-bit sprites as well as official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 8 FC. From left to right and top to bottom: Tanguman, Astroman, Swordman, Clownman, Searchman, Frostman, Gernademan, Aquaman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 9. From left to right and top to bottom: Concreteman, Tornadoman, Splashwoman, Plugman, Jewelman, Magmaman, Hornetman, Galaxyman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

"I'm too sexy for 16-bit! I made this Splashwoman sprite before Megaman 9 even came out! I just based it on screenshots!

Sigma from Megaman Xtreme 1, color corrected to match his 16-bit sprite From MMX1.

More various sprites. This Link was actually from a stitch pattern for a pillow. Samus is from the Japanese FDS version of Metroid's save management system, Super Joe for Bionic Commando, and Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog for the Gamegear. Sonic is too yellow for his own good, but it was done on a whim.

My first true 16-bit sprite, Terra Branford, the main character and heroine of the SNES classic, Final Fantasy VI.

A tribute to the awesome community devoted to the Famicom

More various sprites

More Rockman. Here's X from Xtreme recolored, Kalinka from MM4, Ran from the infamous Bob & George webcomic, a Met, Classic Rockman and two custom hacks I did: Rockman.EXE and Zero as he appears in the Zero series.

here's another sprite I made. A cookie for anyone who knows what this is. [shouldn't be too hard]

I'll update again with more in my next post.

Thanks and let me know what you guys think!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

This is absolutely amazing !
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

What Bregalad said. Very, very cool. Some of the colour patterns/choices are absolutely perfect!
tepples

Re: Satoshi Matrix Bead Sprites

Post by tepples »

SatoshiMatrix wrote:here's another sprite I made. A cookie for anyone who knows what this is. [shouldn't be too hard]

None other than MissingDO NOT WANT.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Amazing indeed! How exactly are these things held together? From the pictures it just looks like they aren't! =)

One minor correction though:
SatoshiMatrix wrote:Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog for the Gamegear.
That sprite is actually from Sonic Pocket Adventure, on the NeoGeo Pocket Color. =)
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

Genius! Pure Genius!

You've given me new inspiration for the fuse beads my kids have been lackluster about. :D
Denine

Post by Denine »

Whoa! Very cool!
How long it took you to get it done?
Can I request you to make Dizzy?
BTW: what's the piece of floating ground next to baloon fighter guy?(Above airman).
Grumskiz

Post by Grumskiz »

tokumaru wrote:Amazing indeed! How exactly are these things held together? From the pictures it just looks like they aren't! =)
They're small, tubelike beeds that you stick on a sheet with little tips that hold them on there.
If you want to stick them together permanently without using the sheet, you can take your iron and melt one side of the whole beed-picture so that the plastic that these beeds are made out of melts and sticks together.
You can take it of the sheet the and do whatever with it...I have seen people who put them on their walls or even make Christmas decorations out of them.

I should still have quite a few of these beeds back in Germany, but I haven't done anything with them in ages. Remaking sprites with them is an awesome idea!

Edit:
Gotta love MissingNo. :3
cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

This is awesome. How much would you charge to do this for a sprite from my game? That is if you would do that at all :o
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Shantae is so cute.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

Bregalad wrote:This is absolutely amazing !
Thank you very much!
koitsu wrote:What Bregalad said. Very, very cool. Some of the colour patterns/choices are absolutely perfect!
Thanks. I strive very much to make my sprites as accurate and colorful as possible, a feat most other sprites don't even come close to attempting.

tokumaru wrote:Amazing indeed! How exactly are these things held together? From the pictures it just looks like they aren't! =)

One minor correction though:
That sprite is actually from Sonic Pocket Adventure, on the NeoGeo Pocket Color. =)
These are fuse-beads, small plastic beads that you melt with an iron. Some of the early stuff I did you can really tell, but anything I did over the years since you pretty much can't ;) Thanks about the Sonic correction. I wasn't too sure.

cpow wrote:Genius! Pure Genius!

You've given me new inspiration for the fuse beads my kids have been lackluster about. :D
Yeah the one thing I can say is these require a LOT of patience. They might be intended for kids, but no kid with their 15 second attention spans would be able to spend the hours it takes to make these.
Denine wrote:Whoa! Very cool!
How long it took you to get it done?
Can I request you to make Dizzy?
BTW: what's the piece of floating ground next to baloon fighter guy?(Above airman).
These very in length to completion, but most take around an hour, though some can take weeks, if not months (I'll be getting to those...)

I'd be happy to do requests, but I literally have hundreds more sprites to post first!

The floating island is Pureland, from Final Fantasy Legend 3/SaGa 3 for the original GameBoy, one of my earliest RPGs I played to completion.
cartlemmy wrote:This is awesome. How much would you charge to do this for a sprite from my game? That is if you would do that at all :o
My prices are very reasonable and I do custom commissions. I have very good feedback on quite a few forums as I've been making and selling beadsprites for years now. I just figured it about time to share with this community! Feel free to pm me.
Dwedit wrote:Shantae is so cute.
I know right? Shantae is also my favorite GameBoy Color game of all. Check out my Shantae Review and my Top 25 GB/GBC games list.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011 ... lor-games/
http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2010 ... ae-review/

OKAY, with all that spring cleaning done, time to post more!

Metroid with transparent innards. To my knowledge, nobody else has done a Metroid like this.

Here's a tip of the hat to Super Pig, one of the hacker groups that put out bootleg/unlicensed FDS games in Japan. The slogan is a reference to the article on Famicom World.

Simon Belmont from Castlevania 1

Cape Mario from Super Mario World. Takes you back, doesn't it?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A. Enough said

The original Bionic Commando swings into action!

Lastly, here's a set I'm sure you guys will love. Mario here is color enhanced, and the game cart is there for scale, though it looks like Bowser wants to burn it up! :twisted:

Tom

Post by Tom »

These look amazing. Another minor correction: the main character in Bionic Commando isn't Super Joe; Super Joe is the guy you rescue.
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

oh right, in my first post. Yeah you're right.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

That 2nd Bionic Commando set (mid-swing) is totally awesome.

I dunno how much you charge for these things, but I'd *love* a set of all of the characters from Wai Wai World / Konami World (#1, not #2). As well as all the characters in Parodius. :D
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

feel free to pm me. please include links and details to the exact sprites you want (check sprite sites such as shyguy kingdom or spriters resource) and I'll go from there. Prices start at just $5, but they vary depending on what you want, complexity, size, etc.