Supercic 12F629 in SFC cart? (make it play on pal console)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
bytestorm

Supercic 12F629 in SFC cart? (make it play on pal console)

Post by bytestorm »

Hi! I want to make a SFC cart boot on my unmodded pal snes. I read about the supercic key and that I need a 12f629 pic.. But the original cic in my SFC cart is 16 pin and the supercic pic for the key file is only 8 pin.. What did I miss? I don't want to mod my snes, only the cart. Thanks for your time!
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

SuperCIC pinout is different from original CIC. So, you can't just replace it. You need to remove original CIC (or cut the connection from it). Then rewire all the wires.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Tomy wrote:SuperCIC pinout is different from original CIC. So, you can't just replace it. You need to remove original CIC (or cut the connection from it). Then rewire all the wires.
I thought so, but couldnt find any info about it :( but it will workout i think :)
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

Here's how to connect the pic 12f629 to replace a CIC (once programmed with SuperCIC of course)

Hias

Post by Hias »

Look at the comments of supercic asm file, there is all you need to know in there!
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Thanks for all the tips!
Moothead2

Post by Moothead2 »

I have a quick question about this mod, do you just have to burn the CIC Key hex fil to a 12F629 and solder it in a shown above?

Also, Bytestorn, how did it go, did it work?

Thanks.
pichichi010

Post by pichichi010 »

i successfully did the following to play a PAL cart in a NTSC SNES console.

I got Axelay PAL, disoldered the CIC chip

got a CIC chip from a donor NTSC cart and Soldered into the PAL cart pcb.

It worked!

btw, I though the Super CIC had the same wiring as the CIC.

Is there any other Chip that Can work as the CIC with same wiring?
getafixx

Re: Supercic 12F629 in SFC cart? (make it play on pal consol

Post by getafixx »

Sorry to dig up an old post. I just had a question about how the supercic key switches to PAL or NTSC mode...

Seeing as there is only 1 supercic.key file, i'm assuming both the PAL and NTSC lockout codes are in there (i've checked the .asm file, but it doesnt say specifically). So, if I was to wire the supercic key to a regular NTSC cart, and pop it in a PAL system, what would happen? Does it require a reset to enable the right region, or will it scan immediately to find out what region the console is?

I've never done it (as i dont have a PAL console), but I have a friend over in the Netherlands that wants a SoM2 game for his PAL system. So I just want to make sure that the game will actually boot for him when it shows up.

Thanks for the help!
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I think it detects when it fails to unlock the console and next time you reset it will try a different region.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

MottZilla wrote:I think it detects when it fails to unlock the console and next time you reset it will try a different region.
Is that for sure then? Is there any way I can lock into PAL only mode?
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

Would this supercic be able to get around games that check both region and hz
to be able to play games like smurfs and smurfs 2 (both PAL) on an NTSC SNES?
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

I'm pretty sure it would if you were to install it in your SNES console since it would let you boot in PAL 50Hz then switch to NTSC 60Hz shortly after. And you can switch back and forth between NTSC/PAL.
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

SkinnyV wrote:I'm pretty sure it would if you were to install it in your SNES console since it would let you boot in PAL 50Hz then switch to NTSC 60Hz shortly after. And you can switch back and forth between NTSC/PAL.
I was thinking more of putting it on the cart pcb so it could run on a stock ntsc SNES. Is that possible with this chip? I have added switches to an SNES before to get past both the region lockout and the frequency of 50\60hz but I was hoping for an in-cart solution if possible.