Anyone has a real NTSC Incredible Crash Test Dummies cart?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

ulfalizer

Anyone has a real NTSC Incredible Crash Test Dummies cart?

Post by ulfalizer »

Might as well try here too (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10340&start=15#p116021).

If anyone has one and can display all of the screen horizontally, it would be interesting to know if you get a flickering glitch on the right side of the title screen. I know it appears on PowerPak, but I'm not sure if that's correct.
koitsu

Re: Anyone has a real NTSC Incredible Crash Test Dummies car

Post by koitsu »

If no one who has this cart responds within the next few days, I'll get the actual cart and test things out myself. I can adjust H-size on my TV/CRT as well to rule out any possibility of glitching being hidden by plastic borders.
ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer »

Thanks in advance. :beer:

And since this is general stuff, Incredible Crash Test Dummies is probably one of the better LJN games - which is to say, very mediocre, but not terrible at least :P. The music's pretty nice too.

I wonder what the best game LJN made is...
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

LJN never made anything. Their games were made by Atlus, Rare, Beam Software, Sculptured software, and Software Creations. Software Creations was the cooler company because they employed Tim and Geoff Follin.
Software Creations made Incredible Crash Test Dummies.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer »

Dwedit wrote:LJN never made anything. Their games were made by Atlus, Rare, Beam Software, Sculptured software, and Software Creations. Software Creations was the cooler company because they employed Tim and Geoff Follin.
Software Creations made Incredible Crash Test Dummies.
Oh, didn't know they weren't their own development house. Most of those studios were probably pretty crap then. :P
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Atlus, Rare and Software Creations made pretty good games I think. So I'd guess the people behind the crappy games are Beam Software and Sculpured Software ?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Beam made the SNES Shadowrun and JVC's Star Wars. Sculptured didn't produce anything I recognize as noteworthy, though.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Sculptured did a good version of Monopoly. Even though the AI behaves so consistently. They have trade dollar values for every situation, such as two properties with third unowned, getting or giving a monopoly, etc. They can also be exploited in a one-on-one game, sell all your properties to the AI so they have no money, then auction all property really cheap.

Sculptured Software's music engine also ended up in Action 52.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Re: Anyone has a real NTSC Incredible Crash Dummies cart?

Post by tepples »

Where does "Test" appear in the title of The Incredible Crash Dummies? Do you have a prototype or something that had "test" on the label?

I hear "Crash Test Dummies" and think of "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm". But actually I think of "Headline News" by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
ulfalizer

Post by ulfalizer »

I think I lumped them together. But yeah, no 'test'. :P
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I've always thought Test was in there. I remember the TV show too! I always called it Crash Test Dummies back then. Weird.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

koitsu wrote:If no one who has this cart responds within the next few days, I'll get the actual cart and test things out myself. I can adjust H-size on my TV/CRT as well to rule out any possibility of glitching being hidden by plastic borders.
That's what I call being supportive. <Good guy koitsu>
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Sometimes you just gotta take one for the team. ;P In this case it's not much effort though, considering 1) I have both original (unmodded) top-loader and front-loader NES consoles, 2) I have an adjustable CRT (yay service technician mode), and 3) I just bought the cart off eBay for US$4.67 (and that includes S/H). Plus, if someone in the US wants to do further analysis of it, I can always mail 'em the cart for cheap. :-)
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Ah... taking one for the team.
Like that time I disassembled my Miracle Piano, then had a hell of a time putting it back together. Damn volume LEDs having to fit into such small holes at a slanted angle.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Ahh, just realized something... This cart (atleast the NTSC version) isn't actually Nintendo's MMC3. It's acclaim's copy cat: bootgod... The Scandiavian version is accliam's copy cat, but the German The PAL versions are TLROM original Nintendo mapper though. Both of those pal versions are the same rom too (checksum)

EDIT: The way bootgod's flags flip around threw me for a loop when I was clicking. ;)

The acclaim copy cat may very well have a slight difference in the scanline counter...

My original mmc3 dev board does appear broken :(... I was going to test it out in the official mmc3 and see how it does. I probed around looking for broke traces and couldn't find anything either. I probably fried the thing.

I did test it on my hardware implementation of the mmc3 and the words on the bottom of the title screen were jumpy similar to what it sounds like the everdrive is doing. But even if the acclaim mmc3 doesn't do this I don't feel so bad, since it may be acclaim's variant that's behaving differently. I might make another original mmc3 devcart though to see how the official mmc3 behaves.

EDIT: I do own WWF steel cage which is the same chip, but different board. If there isn't any glitching with koitsu's cart I can break out my logic analyzer and/or oscope to try and see if I can measure any difference between the MC-ACC and MMC3's IRQ's.
Last edited by infiniteneslives on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers