Atari FlashBack NES roms

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

mikejmoffitt

Atari FlashBack NES roms

Post by mikejmoffitt »

According to various resources, including this atariage thread, the first Atari Flashback was not 2600-on-a-chip hardware like later revisions but was infact a NES-on-a-chip clone, specifically the Novatek NT6578.

With this in mind, has anyone torn one of these apart and done the usual clone system things? Thrown on a cart slot? Dumped the roms and had them running on an authentic Nintendo or emulator?
nintendo2600

Re: Atari FlashBack NES roms

Post by nintendo2600 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:According to various resources, including this atariage thread, the first Atari Flashback was not 2600-on-a-chip hardware like later revisions but was infact a NES-on-a-chip clone, specifically the Novatek NT6578.

With this in mind, has anyone torn one of these apart and done the usual clone system things? Thrown on a cart slot? Dumped the roms and had them running on an authentic Nintendo or emulator?
I'd be intrested in seeing the NES versions of those Atari 7800 games dumped also. Would be fun to have
some of them on real NES carts for fun.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

The designer of the FB1, Curt Vendel (Legacy Engineering) did in fact make an NES out of it one time. Atari Age will not let any roms of the FB's be posted there, so I doubt you'll find any where else.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Greg2600 wrote:The designer of the FB1, Curt Vendel (Legacy Engineering) did in fact make an NES out of it one time. Atari Age will not let any roms of the FB's be posted there, so I doubt you'll find any where else.
Do you have a link / writeup to this? I may have to just get one and dump it for myself out of curiosity...
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

And maybe if interest of anyone to know what mappers it is using/imitating.
[url=gopher://zzo38computer.org/].[/url]
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:Do you have a link / writeup to this? I may have to just get one and dump it for myself out of curiosity...
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/19 ... back-roms/

I saw it mentioned here, but Curt did not reveal precise details.

By the way, I have this Konami plug and play device, sold by Majesco. It's a NOAC, and has 3 NES games on it (Gyruss, Rush N Attack, Yie-Ar Kung Fu). Three other games include Time Pilot, Scramble, and Frogger, none of which ever had a Famicom/NES release. Would be cool somehow to dump those! No idea how.

That said, there have been countless NOAC hand helds like this.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I wonder where they get their NOACs. It'd be cool for someone like bunnyboy or INL to start selling games on a NOAC with a built-in controller in addition to selling them on a cart.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Greg2600 wrote:Three other games include Time Pilot, Scramble, and Frogger, none of which ever had a Famicom/NES release. Would be cool somehow to dump those! No idea how.
Counting the number of epoxy blobs inside would be a good first step. If there's more than one, one's probably the ROM (or plural) and the other the NOAC.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

I don't have much interest in tearing mine apart, since I don't have the expertise to pull any kind of rom off a chip.
marvelus10

Post by marvelus10 »

The Intelevision PnP was a NAOC as well, apparently they have been dumped. I have been searching for a couple of years now with no luck, unfortunately.

I would love to get Astrosmash onto an NES cart and play on real hardware.
TetrisMaster1989

Post by TetrisMaster1989 »

Arcade Games that NEED ported to NES Platform.

Berzerk (Stern Electronics, 1980)
Moon Patrol (Irem/Williams Electronics, 1982)
Time Pilot -MUST- (Konami, Inc.)
Clean Sweep (Ramtek Co, 1974)

Clean Sweep is an old arcade game in the style of Breakout, the game is NOT a clone of Breakout. Note that Clean Sweep was released in 1974, two years before Atari released Breakout. Seemed like a fun game too. :)

I never knew why Konami released Time Pilot. It always been a question that needed answered. They didn't do Frogger either. If they ported Gradius, they could've ported others. What a letdown. :x

Irem created Kung-Fu Master, just Kung-Fu to Nintendo. Irem also released Moon Patrol in '82. This is what made me addicted to arcade gaming. The music is kickass, the gameplay is pretty fun. And overall, the whole game was extremly addictive. The GBA Version just doesn't do it for me. Atari 2600 was okay. But the NES could've really did well on this one. 8-)

Berzerk had a pretty fun, and challenging concept. I don't know if the awesome robotic synthesized voices the robots chanted could've been added, But overall it deserves a place in Ported NES Games
:wink:
tepples

Post by tepples »

Berzerk was cloned under the name Smash TV. Instead of robot voices, it had game show announcer voices.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

tepples wrote:Berzerk was cloned under the name Smash TV. Instead of robot voices, it had game show announcer voices.
Er, I think you mean Robotron got cloned under the name Smash TV. The only semblance to Berzerk is that you can move in 8 directions as well as shoot. The limited number of shots, dodging-behind-walls, and the ever-frightening Otto is found in berzerk but much less in Smash TV...
tepples

Post by tepples »

Yeah, I wasn't sure of all the things that the Robotron designers got stripped out of Berzerk.
shadash

Post by shadash »

Here's how you do it with Intellivision games. I assume Atari roms would be done the same way... (check out bubbyboys posts)

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... adid=37609