Edition times

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Edition times

Post by Bregalad »

Users of the nesdev Wiki comes from different part of the world where the timezone is different. How does the wiki account for this in the edition times records ?
  • Somehow detect the user's time zone and accounting all edition times for that ?
  • Show all edition times in an arbitrairy determined reference timezone ?
  • This is linked to the user account, and uses a reference timezone when you are logged out (the Nesdev forums does this, and shows california times when you are logged out) ?
It seems to me that the times the wiki prints are in a ~10 minutes early UTC-6 clock, or something very messy like that. Is it possible ?
rainwarrior

Re: Edition times

Post by rainwarrior »

There's a user preference for displayed time: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-datetime

All changes are logged by the server according to its own clock, and they're displayed according to your user settings (or some default method otherwise).

I've never changed the default, and the times I see appear to be UTC+0, correctly aligned (not 10 minutes fast or anything).
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Ok, I set my profile to my timezone instead of Colorado's. Yet, the server is still 9 minutes in advance. At the time of writing this post, it says 16:35 when my computer and watch both says 16:26.

PS : Oh and the forum clock is also 9 minutes early.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Actually... that's really strange. It looked exactly correct just a moment ago, but after a few reloads it seems about 10 minutes fast to me too. (Maybe I had been staring at the same page for 10 minutes by accident? O_o)

I set my correct time zone in the preferences, though, and that much is working fine (except for being 10 minutes fast).
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

The server does not run ntpd or chrony. I've complained about this (in the Moderators forum) in the past. Proof is below (PDT = UTC-0700, and my icarus box at home runs ntpd).

Code: Select all

(17:55:13 jdc@icarus) ~ $ date
Mon Mar  9 17:58:14 PDT 2015
(17:58:14 jdc@icarus) ~ $ ssh nesdev
koitsu@gen ~ $ date
Tue Mar 10 01:07:23 UTC 2015
tepples

Post by tepples »

WhoaMan said "i will add fixing portage and getting ntp up and running to my to-do list"

So if the clock isn't fixed a week from now, remind us.