Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

mkwong98

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by mkwong98 »

Just added a new release:
https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/relea ... 9.9-211221
1. Fixe save state breaking between sessions
2. EPSM improvements by Perkka2
3. LUA improvements by AlchemicRaker and LUA documentation updates by empathicqubit

Thanks!
RokkumanX

Post by RokkumanX »

mkwong98 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:49 pm Just added a new release:
https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/relea ... 9.9-211221
1. Fixe save state breaking between sessions
2. EPSM improvements by Perkka2
3. LUA improvements by AlchemicRaker and LUA documentation updates by empathicqubit

Thanks!
Thank you very much @mkwong98, everything works perfectly fine in this release.

A question if I may, your binary is 6330 KB in size with this release whereas Novasquirrels binaries/artifacts is 5106 KB in size.
Could it be that your "release" is optimized via PGO whereas regular builds that gets compiled automatically after a new commit is not optimized via PGO?

Other then this I can't say what the difference in size would be, also your release clearly says 0.9.9 whereas Novasquirrels latest build says the commit (for example 2e6cf2f) at the bottom right in the emulator.
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

RokkumanX wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:14 am A question if I may, your binary is 6330 KB in size with this release whereas Novasquirrels binaries/artifacts is 5106 KB in size.
Could it be that your "release" is optimized via PGO whereas regular builds that gets compiled automatically after a new commit is not optimized via PGO?

Other then this I can't say what the difference in size would be, also your release clearly says 0.9.9 whereas Novasquirrels latest build says the commit (for example 2e6cf2f) at the bottom right in the emulator.
I build it by following the steps in COMPILING.md, which does not mention PGO, so I'm not sure.
RokkumanX

Post by RokkumanX »

OK I understand, well I found a note regarding development builds of Mesen from the README which states this:

"These are development builds and may be unstable. Using them may also increase the chances of your settings being corrupted, or having issues when upgrading to the next official release. Additionally, these builds are currently not optimized via PGO and will typically run 20-30% slower than the official release builds."

Personally I have never ever had a issue with corrupt settings or noticed that they have run 20-30% slower due to not being optimized via PGO.
Might not be a problem for a i7 8700K CPU, the builds work great.

Anyway, thanks for fixing the issue with save states, that drove me insane.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

@mkwong98, your penultimate (next to last) Mesen build says “0.9.9” in the lower right corner. Does this mean your version misses all of the fixes found in “DevWin-0.9.9.62”?

Specifically, your copy resets Mesen every time I press the pause button; that doesn’t happen in DevWin-0.9.9.62.

Obviously, I must have not set up your 0.9.9 correctly or something like that, I guess…
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

unregistered wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:44 pm @mkwong98, your penultimate (next to last) Mesen build says “0.9.9” in the lower right corner. Does this mean your version misses all of the fixes found in “DevWin-0.9.9.62”?

Specifically, your copy resets Mesen every time I press the pause button; that doesn’t happen in DevWin-0.9.9.62.

Obviously, I must have not set up your 0.9.9 correctly or something like that, I guess…
I have pulled from Sour's after it has been archived and I pull regularly from NovaSquirrel's fork so my fork should be up to date. Do you have any key or button mapped to reset?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Last time I checked a few months ago, mkwong's and novasquirrel's we're in sync with each other.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

mkwong98 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:39 pm
unregistered wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:44 pm @mkwong98, your penultimate (next to last) Mesen build says “0.9.9” in the lower right corner. Does this mean your version misses all of the fixes found in “DevWin-0.9.9.62”?

I have pulled from Sour's after it has been archived and I pull regularly from NovaSquirrel's fork so my fork should be up to date. Do you have any key or button mapped to reset?
ummm… the Pause key only pauses Mesen DevWin-0.9.9.62… and switching out the exe should have no effect on the keys assigned bc they are listed in a separate text file, right? :) (I believe that’s correct.)

EDIT: Ctrl+R is set to reset Mesen DevWin-0.9.9.62; the Pause key does pause your Mesen too, only directly after its game is reset. Kind of weird, for me at least. :)
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

My note: Mesen begins only showing the CPU addresses on the left side of the Debugger. Visit the Debugger’s: Code>“PRG Address Display” to access a few options that cause Mesen’s Debugger to show the PRG Addresses.

Reading the PRG Addresses is necessary to find out locations of .cdl file bytes in your game’s .cdl file, stored in Mesen’s “Debugger” folder, if you want to hex edit that file yourself. :)

EDIT: Written on page 49 of this thread:
Sour wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:20 pm The CDL flags are defined here: https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen/blob ... ogger.h#L9
Bits $04, $08 and $20 are unused currently (in Mesen, FCEUX uses some of the bits differently).
RetroVGMmix

Post by RetroVGMmix »

Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread, I need information or someone who knows how to put custom music in using Mesen, I want to introduce my remixes to some hd pack, I can take care of the music and someone else can do the other for me, I am interested in ninja gaiden II in principle, I am not purist, my mixes are close to the original, they are not quirky remxes or anything like that, if anyone is interested in helping me look for Retrovgmmix in bittube.tv to see my mixes. thanks.
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

RetroVGMmix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:04 am Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread, I need information or someone who knows how to put custom music in using Mesen, I want to introduce my remixes to some hd pack, I can take care of the music and someone else can do the other for me, I am interested in ninja gaiden II in principle, I am not purist, my mixes are close to the original, they are not quirky remxes or anything like that, if anyone is interested in helping me look for Retrovgmmix in bittube.tv to see my mixes. thanks.
To replace the audio, you need to know when the game is sending the music start signal and the music stop signal to the sound engine of the game, then you need hack the ROM to stop that process and send a signal to special registers which is recognized by Mesen. https://www.mesen.ca/docs/hdpacks.html# ... o-in-games The emulator will pick up that signal and play a music file instead. Each game has its own sound engine so you have to study the game you are working on. You can check out the "Spotting Music Code" section of this doc. https://www.romhacking.net/documents/573/

I don't think other HD pack authors come to the thread. You may have better luck asking on Discord: https://discord.com/invite/f4c2Xxam6g
RetroVGMmix

Post by RetroVGMmix »

mkwong98 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:51 am
RetroVGMmix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:04 am Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread, I need information or someone who knows how to put custom music in using Mesen, I want to introduce my remixes to some hd pack, I can take care of the music and someone else can do the other for me, I am interested in ninja gaiden II in principle, I am not purist, my mixes are close to the original, they are not quirky remxes or anything like that, if anyone is interested in helping me look for Retrovgmmix in bittube.tv to see my mixes. thanks.
To replace the audio, you need to know when the game is sending the music start signal and the music stop signal to the sound engine of the game, then you need hack the ROM to stop that process and send a signal to special registers which is recognized by Mesen. https://www.mesen.ca/docs/hdpacks.html# ... o-in-games The emulator will pick up that signal and play a music file instead. Each game has its own sound engine so you have to study the game you are working on. You can check out the "Spotting Music Code" section of this doc. https://www.romhacking.net/documents/573/

I don't think other HD pack authors come to the thread. You may have better luck asking on Discord: https://discord.com/invite/f4c2Xxam6g
Thanks for answer, mmm is out of my reach, too complicated for me, thanks for the link, maybe someone is interested in doing something or has more detailed info.
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

A new experimental feature is added which allows additional tiles to be show on screen. Useful when the replacement requires more sprite tiles to fit. A demo pack for Megaman is included which shows an additional tile as a red box floating above Megaman.
https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/relea ... 9.9-220614
Garo

Post by Garo »

I made a discord server called NES NetZone specifically for using the netplay feature in Mesen. The server has download links to get a pre-configured version of mkwong98's Fork of Mesen, along with Radmin VPN which is required to host and connect to netplay sessions. A full guide to setup netplay is in the discord server. Come join if you're interested.

NES NetZone Discord Invite
"Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!" - Toad
SusiKette

Post by SusiKette »

Is it possible to make Mesen not clear the CDL file when resetting a game?
Avatar is pixel art of Noah Prime from Astral Chain