Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Moderator: Moderators

dougeff

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by dougeff »

I ran out of ROM space, so I was able to keep only 1 DMC sample.

You might ask, then, how did I fit the attract mode in? The entire attract mode code is stored in the CHR-ROM, and copied to the RAM just before attract mode starts.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
thefox

Post by thefox »

Ah, too bad. Hoping to see an extended version at some point.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
calima

Post by calima »

Inherent also stores code in CHR in places.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Finally got around to playing some of the compo games, and just wanted to say I really enjoyed this entry! I found it really easy to pick up and play - the mechanics were pretty intuitive, and familiar to other games from the era.

The minimalist graphics also drew me in - I can't put my finger on why but I really like how it looks. Well done!
Denine

Post by Denine »

I like the game. The customization option is very nice I like how you solved "slopes" problem...I tried coding slopes once and it didn't end well :D
I quite enjoyed the game overall, although boss battle confused me. Namely, it took me a while to realize I did do damage to the Boss as timer was replaced with Boss Health counter and in back of my mind I thought I was time decreasing the counter, not my shooting the boss!
I would recommend to make boss flash upon getting hit too, it would help player realize shoting the boss have an effect. (Yes, at first, I didn't know how to beat it, I though he need to drop\jump on the spikes on the bottom of the stage).
Also, I played using AVS+Everdrive and noted game suffers from DPCM conflicts. You might want to fix this.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the game :)
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I'm out of ROM space. Adding code would require removing something else.
DPCM conflicts
I'm using neslib's pad_poll(). It does 3 reads of the controllers to avoid DPCM errors. And, I haven't noticed any problems on a real NES.
Denine

Post by Denine »

I downgraded AVS firmware to previous revisions and didnt help. I also tried downgrading Everdrive firmware.
I dont think its a games software glitch since it doesnt happen on emulators. Unfortunelly, I dont have a NES to test it on.
I assume its due to DPCM as random inputs seem to happen only when player shoots.
I wonder if could this behaviour be caused by AVS not emulating conflicts propely(so 3 reads workaround doesnt work somwehow).
Then again, Mystery World Dizzy uses DPCM all the time as crude scanline counter and game runs fine. This confuses me.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I don't think a homebrewer should be expected to pay $185 to buy an AVS, and therefore I don't see compatibility with the AVS to be essential.

I have a top loader NES and a front loader NES. I don't have any issues with those.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Wait, does the AVS do game genie codes?

I could write a game genie code to disable the DMC channel.

EDIT -

YAOEXSYO - disable DMC channel (no guitar sound)

Try this.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

In theory, it's the AVS that should be updated to match the behavior of the real NES, and not the games to cater to inaccuracies the AVS might have.

There's nothing wrong with a game developer that owns an AVS making harmless modifications (i.e. modifications that don't break compatibility with the original hardware) to support it, but indeed it can't be expected that every developer owns an AVS.
tepples

Post by tepples »

At some point, the NES vs. NOAC vs. Nt mini vs. AVS vs. emulator landscape starts to look like the alleged fragmentation of the Android platform, where different devices have different system software defects.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

True, but if certain behaviors are in direct conflict with those of the original console, I don't think we should legitimate them with workarounds in the software, since that would discourage emulator developers and hardware engineers from fixing said inaccuracies.
Denine

Post by Denine »

Yes, the game genie fixed the problem, thank you.
My original complaint was due to my(incorrect) assumption that the game suffers from DPCM conflicts.
Since it turned out to be AVS quirk, I do not request dougeff to fix it. Im actually agree with Tokumaru on prioritizing original hardware as it pushes others to improve its emulation.
Sorry I caused some commotion.
calima

Post by calima »

Please report the issue to bunnyboy, with a link to the ROM.
MWK

Post by MWK »

Working excellent on my Pegasus famiclone (PAL) with an use of SD2PEGASUS device called KrzysioCart made by krzysiobal.

>> https://youtu.be/G0emqJtEAlE

I think this game is simply AWESOME!
I love the idea, I love the graphics, I love the music, I love how smooth the gameplay is, I love the level designs, I love the enemies and the customisation at the beginning.
Thank you dougeff 8-)