Plextona SNES

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

niconii

Re: Plextona SNES

Post by niconii »

Does it calculate irises on the fly? I don't know about most games, but EarthBound has them precomputed, so that each frame it can just point HDMA to a different table in ROM.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Okay guys, thanks for your input.

The reason why this is a SMW rom hack is because I simply don't know how to code an SNES game from scratch, nor do I know how to code a level editor program and other tools that I would need. And yet at the same time I'm passionate about making new SNES games because the SNES was my go to console for many years of my life.

As a game designer when I go to the SMWcentral website and see literally hundreds of custom blocks and sprites that I can use at my disposal, I just feel like wow, I don't have to code anything. Instead I can just work on building a game with lots of premade resources.

I've been thinking of making game totally from scratch with gamemakerstudio 2, but I'm not proficient enough to use it to make a full game yet.. I would have to hire a programmer to code things that I don't know how to.

The colors for this game are simple, kind of like NES restrictions. This was done on purpose and I do not want to make it look like a 16 bit game. Why? Because it would cost way too much for a 16 bit game and its harder on me as the developer. By going with just a few colors I can make things a lot faster and it takes a load off my back.

Plus did you know that often times I end up having to be a pixel artist and correct things that the original artist missed or didn't get right. This actually happened a lot with this one tile-set that you see in the gif. With simple graphics I can do this myself and fill in the gaps, but if the graphics were more complex I would have to send the pixel artist tons of corrections and such that they would need to fix because it didn't fit in the game or wasn't the right size and so on. In other words it becomes a pain.

I also like the idea of taking the smw engine and doing something totally different with it.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Wow, I never thought about using lunar magic for a non-Mario game.
psycopathicteen

I looked up information about the dec to hex converter, and it works by decreasing the 32-bit score by 100,000 and counting how many times it takes before being negative, then it does the same for each digit. Yeah this is a slow way of doing it.

Not sure how to do 32-bit scores, but 16-bit scores can be quickly done by dividing by 100 with the division registers several times, storing the remainders, and using a LUT.

Or you can just calculate the score in decimal mode.
Optiroc

Post by Optiroc »

psycopathicteen wrote:I looked up information about the dec to hex converter, and it works by decreasing the 32-bit score by 100,000 and counting how many times it takes before being negative, then it does the same for each digit. Yeah this is a slow way of doing it.

Not sure how to do 32-bit scores, but 16-bit scores can be quickly done by dividing by 100 with the division registers several times, storing the remainders, and using a LUT.

Or you can just calculate the score in decimal mode.
That's quite funny – the same algorithm is used in Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. So Nintendo did this conversion in the same inefficient way in both the first and last game released for the platform. :oops:
psycopathicteen

Does smwcentral have any patch to fix this?
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

I am all for the idea of taking an existing game and hacking it beyond recognition to become your own game. So many useful low level routines are already there, it can save a ton of time. I'm not doing the same myself because I set my goal to build a NES game from scratch, but doing what you're doing has been in my mind for quite some time. If your goal is just to have a new game, then by all means use whatever you have at disposal to do that.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!