Action 53 volume 4

Moderator: Moderators

pubby

Re: Action 53 volume 4

Post by pubby »

tepples wrote:Anyone else have updates before we finalize the screenshots?
Here's an update of F-FF that fixes a potential bug.
Attachments
f-ff_v2.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
Lazycow

Post by Lazycow »

tepples wrote:Anyone else have updates before we finalize the screenshots?
I am still working on an update for Wolfling, do we have a deadline? (it won't change the graphics, if you're refering to screenshots only)
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Same here. The updates I need to make don't change the looks.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Attached is an up to date build.

Screenshot improvements, description corrections, bug reports and fixes, incorrect version (md5sums in the last page), more things to include (it's only 3/4 full), or any other suggestion would be appreciated.
Attachments
a53vol4-page3.7z
(342.59 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Gave everything a very quick spin. Seems to be working pretty well.

Light shields seems to be the only game that doesn't reset back to the menu. (Also has a bug that displays the title screen with the wrong scroll for a frame, but that's a real nitpick.)

I notice both A and Start will start a game. Select appears to be unused in the menu; it might be good to have it duplicate B's behaviour as another "back" button?

What are the vola/b ROMs for?
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

rainwarrior wrote:Select appears to be unused in the menu; it might be good to have it duplicate B's behaviour as another "back" button?
Easy enough to do (until I have another idea for the button).
rainwarrior wrote:What are the vola/b ROMs for?
Powerpak builds.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Has anyone contacted Denis of retrosouls to offer an invitation to include Multidude and Super Painter (and editing SFX in Super Painter)?
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I'll take the lack of responses as a no, and I've shot of an email to him. Will post updates as I receive them. I think this compilation could benefit from a few more titles in the non-competition section (if room permits).

Any other suggestions?
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Ahh sorry about that, I just got the time today to begin typing up my own email, but I guess I'll hold that.

The only thing extra I would say is that I'll be willing to replace the sfx myself if no one else is able to. I assume the engine is famitone2 which define sfx as a sequence of register writes. so it should be technically easy.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Did Super Painter just use the Famitone SFX exporter directly on a SMB3 NSF? O_o Ha ha I never thought about how easy it'd be to cop sound effects from other games that way.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Via PM, gravelstudios gave permission for Get It! to be included.

No word back yet from RetroSouls. Will follow up once more and then likely abandon hope if no response.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

That awesome, I remembered seeing this while searching youtube a year or 2 ago, then now I forget about it.
Thanks again for reaching out and contacting people.

RetroSouls seemed hard to contact in the past, and I was hoping to reach out to them about Alter Ego for the NES later next year, but we'll see.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

This is probably my last menu engine feature update for volume 4, as I'll begin a rewrite for the combined version to accommodate complicated planned features such as decorating the menu, games shuffle option and a music player.

Right now todo for volume 4:
A short piece of music for the Title screen
The title screen
Box art
Bug fixes and improvements to games and their descriptions
(Pretty much the first post plus or minus some)
Attachments
a53vol4-page3.13.nes
(1 MiB) Downloaded 623 times
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Thanks for keeping up on this!

I take it we're safe to assume that the rom will be 1MByte at this point.? Looks like it's ~90% full just glancing at the rom binary. So I'll go ahead and have a batch of boards baked off so they'll be ready once the rom is finalized.

I don't mean to put pressure on things, but do we have any projections on how long the box art will take? If so, I can talk with the print shop and try to get a rough timeline for publishing. Perhaps there's still time to get traditional CIB boxes by the end of November and release by year's end.

We've done okay with sales on volume 3 this year, there is one limited edition copy remaining I believe. We had a handful of regular editions sell, but only a single famicom outside of contributors.. Based on that, I'm not certain if a print run of traditional cardboard boxes is all that necessary. IDK how worthwhile famicom releases are in general right now either.. I did release ~6 months late though, so had we released on time it would likely be a different story.

If it makes things easier to just focus on a cartridge label first that would at least cover us if we opt for a loose cart only release. If we do want CIBs, and want to push to meet our goal of releasing by the end of this year bitboxes is likely our best option. I've already got them in stock and can print the inserts in house with effectively zero lead time.

Suppose we should have a full report of current finances before making the decision of how we would or would not like to spend earnings on boxes. I'll push to get the finances thread updated with a new report asap. Depending on the lines we draw in the sand for our timeline we may not have much option though. Our current line in the sand is to release by year's end. If anyone has opinions on how we should move forward with printed materials please chime in now.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I'd still like to handle illustration and design for it, and would like to do title screen after the packaging is complete, to possibly relate the two as was done for vol 3. I can get it done in November as I can start on it next week.

Going Bitbox-only would help in preventing the design needs of dealing with an additional aspect ratio. If possible, I'd like to know that for sure before starting on the cover art. (It would be kind of neat to design for BitBox aspect ratio directly instead of converting another design for it.)

A discussion on subtitle needs to take place, as it could influence design choices.

I assume the award icons couldn't be worked into the ROM?

Finally, Lukasz and I had a small project we were considering including in the others section. Would there be space for another game? If so, what would the size restriction on it be, and when would be a deadline for submitting it?

Ah, and I have a cleaner screenshot composed for Gruniożerca 2 that I'm pretty sure meets restrictions, but haven't had time to look into the screenshot conversion tool.

Speaking of Gruniożerca 2, when you revise writeups, please remove the bottom line in the game description, "character design by arhn.eu." It is not really accurate or necessary (credits within game itself are satisfactory for acknowledging arhn.eu's relationship).