Proposed side compo: Remix

Moderator: Moderators

Alp

Re: Proposed side compo: Remix

Post by Alp »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Maybe this could serve as inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OliBr44kzk

Snarblams' maru mari hack on metroid (unsure if it ever was finished) flipped the object of the game on its end by exploiting the sprite wraparound, forcing morphball mode, adding and adding ratchet autoscrolling. I assume the ypos-based hurt mechanism is repurposed to kill off the player character if catched by the upper edge of screen.
Actually, it's not a hack, it's a homebrew game, written from scratch. Snarf just used Metroid graphics as placeholder for future art.

He was asking for artists on his coding blog, a while back.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Oh, cool!

I tried to google for snarfs' blog but only found the homepage and the youtube account.
Alp

Post by Alp »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Oh, cool!

I tried to google for snarfs' blog but only found the homepage and the youtube account.
Here's the relevant blog link, if you're curious: http://snarfblam.com/words/?p=376
tepples

Post by tepples »

The concept reminds me of MineShaft vaguely.
Punch

Post by Punch »

I'm actually working on a port of Brick Breaker for the PCE to ease me into developing for it, but maybe I'll remake it for that system so the side compo idea is intriguing. Not sure if I'd be able to back port the "new" version to a compo format though, since I'd probably hit 64k easily with what I'm planning.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Much has changed since the original proposal 4 years ago. The biggest being the large increase of participants and the volume of original content, and I'm in the process of re-deciding what my ultimate goals for nesdev will be.

I'm in agreement of preparing for the master assembly of Action 53, to that end things like engine improvements and merges should be encouraged. If I recall correctly there's a remastered version of Sir Ababol from Mojon Twins. Arbitrary engine merges may not actually save as many bytes as one would hope because the majority of the game size consists of the level layout and graphical data which is not common from game to game. For graphical data, I would be willing to replace pb53 with donut to help with space there. Also maybe have a few CHR RAM games, that only upload a full CHR sheet on start, move to CHR ROM to easily take advantage of the compression.

My original thoughts of making mini tools that require large saves is not going to work. It is also not a common thing to work on someone else's full game source code. I personally have a couple half finished projects aimed at being in the remix: Solar Wars rewrite, Russian Roulette rewrite, and implementing the actual correct logic in my musical controller toy. I should finish those.

There's no chance for me to make my own full original game, and that's OK, many of us are already doing that. I willing to spend my efforts to help with the master assembly of Action 53, wether that be through a "remix compo" or just helping assemble it. Maybe Tepples and I should do a mini hackathon the day after NovaCon 2018 as I will still be in the area that Sunday.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

There's remastered (much improved) versions of Sir Ababol and Sgt. Helmet's Training Day, yes.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Does anyone want to redesign the graphics in Jammin Honey? The 'Assembly Line' podcast suggested that I might have won if the graphics were better.

You wouldn't have to learn any of the code. I could easily insert it for you. Also, all the level design was done in Tiled, which anyone could use to change the levels (if I gave you the template file.

Also, the 'choose honey's colors' could be removed to give more color options for sprites.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I thought Jammin' Honey's graphics were good. They were clean and direct, a little bit cute.

The only thing I'd want to remix about it, personally, is that suggestion I made to you earlier about playing the DPCM guitar sample at 3 different speeds in a way that follows that harmony of the music.