Super Homebrew War

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: Super Homebrew War

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:I guess my own NES games don't have "characters" so to speak.
Attachments
donny.png
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Looks like he'd need an exception for alt. palettes too. I assume the white would change?
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

M_Tee wrote:Looks like he'd need an exception for alt. palettes too. I assume the white would change?
Yeah, the method you proposed looked great for almost everyone else, but Donny needed a different treatment. After trying a few things, I ended up hardcoding alternate palettes for him by changing the black to a few other dark-but-not-black colors. (Dark green, dark blue, etc)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

New build posted (on the first post), which includes Donny from Haunted Halloween (thank you Retrotainment!), palette swaps for duplicate characters, some character-specific tweaks such as random human skin coloration for Lizard and better centering over her feet for Nova, and various bug fixes.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

I only seem to be getting the star from all item boxes. Check to see if you forgot to take out any debug stuff?
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

NovaSquirrel wrote:I only seem to be getting the star from all item boxes. Check to see if you forgot to take out any debug stuff?
Oops! You're right, I was debugging that last night and left that in there. Thanks for noticing! I'll post a fix when I get a chance.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

NovaSquirrel wrote:I only seem to be getting the star from all item boxes. Check to see if you forgot to take out any debug stuff?
Should be fixed now. I've uploaded the new version.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Just posted a new build on the first post, fixed a bug that caused Hekl to get stuck hovering in the air forever.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Hello. Is there any progress for this game? Also, I'm going to try to run this on an MIT-licensed NES emulator for ESP32 (if one doesn't exist, I'll write or port one according to an MIT licensed tutorial that I found). What license will this game have? And will the game be open-source?

I've also done some Let's Plays on this game and I'm editing them. It's quite fun!
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

8bitMicroGuy wrote:Hello. Is there any progress for this game? Also, I'm going to try to run this on an MIT-licensed NES emulator for ESP32 (if one doesn't exist, I'll write or port one according to an MIT licensed tutorial that I found). What license will this game have? And will the game be open-source?
I consider the game finished unless any bug reports appear, so no more progress since what I posted in the thread. As far as license, I haven't officially picked a license (not sure if I will open-source it later, maybe so). I give you permission to play/distribute/perform the game non-commercially. If that's not legal enough for you, you are welcome use it under a CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 license for now.
pubby

Post by pubby »

This game has really bad character design. So many ugly, unoriginal designs. Some even look like they were designed by children.

But the character 'O' - WOW!!! What a wonderful character! I'm sure whoever created that character is the reincarnation of both Michelangelo and Einstein because that is some A+ design.

I'm kidding of course. The game and the characters are great. A nice, fun little multiplayer game.

Personally, I like it best with 4 players. It's not as skillful, but it's most fun that way.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

pubby wrote:This game has really bad character design. So many ugly, unoriginal designs. Some even look like they were designed by children.
Haha, for a short second I took you seriously and couldn't understand why you were being so mean :-)

Personally, I like it best with 4 players. It's not as skillful, but it's most fun that way.
Yeah, 4-players is really the true intended way to play. It's all about the chaos. I've brought the game to a few small shows and events, and always get a good reaction if I can get 4 people going at once.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

gauauu wrote: Haha, for a short second I took you seriously and couldn't understand why you were being so mean :-)
It's rare to see pubby joking that way so at first I had the same reaction until I saw the rest of the message :lol:
Denine

Post by Denine »

Hi, I was playing the game today and had a glitch:
Original setting was Survival, 10 lives.
Two CPUs have already lost(on slots 2 and 4).
I had 7 Lives left, 3rd CPU(Donny) had two.
I took a powerup that switches our places on the screen.
When switch was complete, Donny exploded for no reason.
CPU on slot 2(Mage), came back from the dead with 79 LIVES.
Once Donny run out of lives, game ended, despite me still having 5 more lives(and I disappeared the moment Donny died).

Aside from that, the game is vastly different when you play with 4 characters instead of 2. Gonna get my sister tomorrow to play it with me :)
(to bad there is no "Team" setting).
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Denine wrote:Hi, I was playing the game today and had a glitch:
Original setting was Survival, 10 lives.
Two CPUs have already lost(on slots 2 and 4).
I had 7 Lives left, 3rd CPU(Donny) had two.
I took a powerup that switches our places on the screen.
When switch was complete, Donny exploded for no reason.
CPU on slot 2(Mage), came back from the dead with 79 LIVES.
Once Donny run out of lives, game ended, despite me still having 5 more lives(and I disappeared the moment Donny died).
Whoa, that's crazy. Thanks for reporting it. Were you playing on hardware or on an emulator? (any chance you captured a save state or anything if it was an emulator?)

Aside from that, the game is vastly different when you play with 4 characters instead of 2. Gonna get my sister tomorrow to play it with me :)
(to bad there is no "Team" setting).
Yeah, it's really supposed to be a 4-player game. The chaos is completely different with 4.