Moderator: Moderators

WhiteHat94

Re: We are Hejickle

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Aha, yep, that is indeed what it is, makes sense
nocash

Post by nocash »

Small glitch: Unused sprites should be at Y=EFh..FEh. They are currently at Y=FFh (first scanline). NTSC would usually crop that, but it would be visible on PAL.

I tried the game yesterday and it felt a bit too easy (even without buying or using any extra items). Though today it felt more difficult, and I even managed to die today. I think the difference was that I were killing all enemies one after another yesterday, and tried to pass by enemies without attacking them today.

The falling leaves are really neat - especially in the R.I.P. screen.

Seeing more and more new levels unlocked is also nice.

Don't know if that would fit in: But one could also add puzzle elements, like needing keys or spells to open locked doors or passages. It might slowdown the gameflow though.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

nocash wrote:Unused sprites should be at Y=EFh..FEh. They are currently at Y=FFh (first scanline).
What? AFAIK, no, Y=$FF does not put sprites at the top of the screen. The wiki also confirms that $FF is a valid Y coordinate for hiding sprites.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Yes, afaik and a little unfortunately sprites will "pop" when overflowing the y axis (in that they don't wrap around halfway), and you can't put sprites visible on the very first scanline.
nocash

Post by nocash »

Oops, my specs might be a bit outdated then.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I'm confused. Can I keep the sprites at Y=$FF, or should I change it?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

i think nocash might've meant that since a sprite is shown on the line below its actual value, a sprite att $ff would show on scanline 0. Or maybe they meant something else: because lines 240-260 (idle line + vblank lines) are padding between lines 239 and 0, a sprite could wrap around just a little on NTSC (but this is masked by overscan), assuming that's how it works*. On PAL or Dendy, the vblank period is longer.

*Then again, i'm not sure if sprites are carried over to the next frame at all. I don't think so, but honestly don't know. The answer is probably somewhere on the wiki.
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Sprites do not wrap on NES. Only the background allows "negative" scroll values, an artifact of treating the attribute table as two rows of tilemap above the top row.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Submitted and updated the OP with version 3. The changes are minor, but largely regard balance.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

How does armor plate work? once bought, always equipped? Is it possible to stack?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Very nice music. I notice the "No Weapon" is actually really a weapon? Like I am not allowed to hold "no weapon" in both hands? That seems funny. (Not that I need to... and I'd be tempted to call it a feature not bug for the sake that it amuses me.)
pubby

Post by pubby »

FrankenGraphics wrote:How does armor plate work? once bought, always equipped? Is it possible to stack?
Yes and yes. Buy it and it increases your defenses a little.
rainwarrior wrote:Very nice music. I notice the "No Weapon" is actually really a weapon? Like I am not allowed to hold "no weapon" in both hands? That seems funny. (Not that I need to... and I'd be tempted to call it a feature not bug for the sake that it amuses me.)
Yeah unarmed attacks are implemented as a weapon. It's a bit silly, but that was the easiest way to code it.

Originally there was going to be more reasons to use unarmed attacks, but they were cut due to cartridge size limits.
WhiteHat94

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Something small, but if you hold Start to start the game, you will get the same starting floor layout every time.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I just played this for the first time this morning. I find it fascinating. Good work.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
bngrybt

Post by bngrybt »

Whoa! This is hands down my favorite compo entry this year. I was a huge fan of Castle of the Winds when I was a kid. I spent hours playing that game. It was a rogue-like, but it used Windows icons for a tileset and was a bit more streamlined compared to other rogue-likes of its time. This is giving me huge vibes of that game, and I love it. Like, I love this. If you ever do a full cart release, it's an insta-buy for me.