Squish!

Moderator: Moderators

mrmmaclean

Squish!

Post by mrmmaclean »

Hi All,

here's my very last minute entry.
It's not quite done but I wanted to get something in!

[Edit for more info]

Squish The Bouncing Cat Ball is an infinite runner style game based on my wife's stuffed cat pillow.

I worked on it mostly in the last week and I don't have a computer so it was mostly at the library and during lunch breaks at work (special thanks to the Greater Victoria public library!)
My wish list includes:

- Sound obviously but I just ran out of time.
- Detailed backgrounds - My scrolling engine is pretty slick and supports "Flinstones" style repeating backgrounds. It would have taken a long time to hand code the background and I was down to the wire. A custom editor for my format is in order.
- Obstacles that slow down Squish (I was working on these in the last minutes but the computer was kicking me out in less than 5 minutes so I just had to pull the plug on that part).
- More platform and tile types - The physics are all object based (even the platforms are rectangles in the engine) so arbitrary obstacles and funky platforms would spice things up.
- Campaign mode with story.

I'll be forking this development into a new project and turning it into a fully fledged game. I'm still going to keep it in the limited UNROM compo format for fun and challenge. Stay tuned for a new dev post in the homebrew sub forum!

I just wanted to add that despite this game being rather unpolished, it's the first thing I've called done and put out into the world in all my life. I've dabbled and started a million things but this is the first thing I could call "finished" and share with others. This is profoundly important to me and I want to extend a special thanks to the NESDEV team and everyone participating in this competition for being here and being a part of my progress in this way.

THANKS!!!!!

Once again... stay tuned!

- mrmmaclean
Attachments
squish.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
Last edited by mrmmaclean on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gauauu

Re: Squish!

Post by gauauu »

Nice. The high speed made it fun. It took me a few tries before I got the hang of it.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I liked the speed too. The place where you jump and you have no idea where the platform would be was interesting. It there could be a song that match the type of game it would give an even bigger adrenaline rush ;)
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Did you submit this? I don't think I got the email. Submission instructions are here: http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com/contest18/
mrmmaclean

Post by mrmmaclean »

Oops! Done now, thanks!
olddb

Post by olddb »

Played a little bit. I like it.

Initial suggestion: give the level more contrasting tiles as it sometimes looks like the character is standing still.

Will play more and report.
mrmmaclean

Post by mrmmaclean »

olddb wrote:Played a little bit. I like it.

Initial suggestion: give the level more contrasting tiles as it sometimes looks like the character is standing still.

Will play more and report.
Good suggestion. My wife noted that effect too.

I'm glad you like it so far!

- mrmmaclean
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

It simple but interesting. I'm not a fan in general of runner games but the speed makes it fun.

I do hope you add some music that fit the game later, that would really makes it even better ;)