Sim City on Nestopia/Other emulators

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Sour

Re: Sim City on Nestopia/Other emulators

Post by Sour »

koitsu wrote:I suspect what Mesen is doing, in contrast, is simply saving all possible PRG-RAM banks (8x8KB) to a single 64KB file as an easy way to deal with the situation, given how annoying >8KB battery-backed PRG-RAM can be to deal with (see above).
This is what it does for games that aren't in the DB or aren't using NES 2.0 headers. Otherwise it tries to figure out which banks are meant to be saved based on the save ram's size (although this is relatively new behavior, 0.9.7 will save all 64kb of save ram no matter what)
koitsu wrote:(Boy I sure wish Mesen's Event Viewer List View tab had a filtering capability similar to the PPU View tab! I'd love to see just mapper reads/writes, for example).
I was actually wondering myself if I had implemented this or not when I was remaking the same tool for the SNES a few weeks ago, I guess the answer is no :p Should be easy to make the list filtered based on the options on the first tab, though (which means the options should probably be moved outside the tabs entirely), I'll add it to my list.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

try replace Ppu.cpp:

Code: Select all

case 320:
					HBlankOff:

cycles.hClock = 321;

if (hActiveHook)
							hActiveHook.Execute();
to

case 320:
					HBlankOff:

cycles.hClock = 321;

//if (hActiveHook)
						//	hActiveHook.Execute();
wram to 16K or High
ETROM
This is an old problem of nestopia,We have this problem when translating super Chinese 3

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDEwMDEwODkxMg==.html
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

I figured i would add this here as well since it's nestopia related and not start a new thread clogging up even more on the forum. I noticed very recently a new nes rom was released called: 8bit Adventure Steins;Gate.

If you have played the Switch version of Stein's Gate Elite, it comes with a bonus game called 8bit Adventure Steins;Gate. It's pretty cool. It's actually an nes rom! I recently tracked it down and noticed on some emulators this does work and some others it does not. (Nestopia, Mednafen will not so far) (FCE ultra does)

I tried running this in nestopia and it always throws the "Corrupt File" error. I viewed the header in a hex editor and cannot understand what is corrupted about it. It is a perfectly fine 16 byte header. It seems to be mapper 4, 512 prg-rom and 256k chr-rom so it is not the need for an oversized mapper. I had not seen anyone mention this on here so thought i would put it out there. :D

What would be corrupted about this rom on some emulators?
Last edited by *Spitfire_NES* on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

8bit Adventure Steins? ROM? NES?
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

zxbdragon wrote:try replace Ppu.cpp:

case 320:
					HBlankOff:

cycles.hClock = 321;

if (hActiveHook)
							hActiveHook.Execute();
to

case 320:
					HBlankOff:

cycles.hClock = 321;

//if (hActiveHook)
						//	hActiveHook.Execute();
wram to 16K or High
ETROM
This is an old problem of nestopia,We have this problem when translating super Chinese 3

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDEwMDEwODkxMg==.html
Nice! I just now saw this and tested this and it works perfectly and the behavior is as it should be! Thank you for sharing that here Dragon! :beer: :D Is that code in ppu even needed or was this something that was thought at one time to be accurate but now is no longer needed?

I'll pass this info along to Rdanbrook so he can get this put into Undead.

And yes 8bit Adventure Steins;Gate is an nes rom that was released with the nintendo Switch version of Stein's Gate Elite. However, something in the header must be throwing a corrupted error in nestopia. Not sure why, as i examined the header with a hex editor.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

8bit Adventure Steins;Gate ROM Where to download?
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

The commonly-available ROM is indeed corrupt: the last CHR bank is 213 bytes too short. Also, the text window is shaking like crazy on most of the accurate emulators, all the time in Mesen, and at least in the laboratory in others as well. Somebody with a devcart could upload this game and try it, to find out whether the supposedly accurate emulators are doing it wrong or the game is.
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

NewRisingSun wrote:The commonly-available ROM is indeed corrupt: the last CHR bank is 213 bytes too short. Also, the text window is shaking like crazy on most of the accurate emulators, all the time in Mesen, and at least in the laboratory in others as well. Somebody with a devcart could upload this game and try it, to find out whether the supposedly accurate emulators are doing it wrong or the game is.
So another copy needs to be uploaded or is this actually the way the rom is intended to be with a chr bank too short?
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

关于这个方案,就当我没有说过。Nestopia就是个垃圾坑,
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

zxbdragon wrote:关于这个方案,就当我没有说过。Nestopia就是个垃圾坑,
哈哈 :D Nestopia的源码是稀奇古怪; 我想帮忙 但嫌麻烦所以没帮.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

koitsu wrote:
zxbdragon wrote:关于这个方案,就当我没有说过。Nestopia就是个垃圾坑,
哈哈 :D Nestopia的源码是稀奇古怪; 我想帮忙 但嫌麻烦所以没帮.
Nestopia是目前看到结构最好代码,代码,比其它模拟器容易读的多,
他把C++使用的相对如火
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

内斯皮亚有问题, 但还是很有相关性的。感谢您多年来在代码方面提供的所有帮助。它继续变得更好!不过, 有时和工作一起工作也会非常令人沮丧。:P
Yolt1

Post by Yolt1 »

*Spitfire_NES* wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:40 am Hi all,

Not sure if many of you know, or maybe I'm late but on Xmas day 2018 the rom for SimCity nes was released for all to enjoy!

However, seems like a quite a few emulators seem to be having an issue with the maps being scrambled once generated, FCEultra and others also have this issue with it.

Can someone help me get it working? The rest of the game seems fine, but once you generate a map, the graphics become scrambled up and it virtually renders the game unplayable. Is this a problem with the game or something off with the rom itself?
Hello,

Sorry to dig up this thread but I am having this exact issue!

I've decided to make my own repro of SIM CITY to play on real hardware...

It is definitely not the first NES repro I am doing and not even the first MMC5 game.

My repro was based on a ET-ROM donor, which is the closest to the "official" PCB.
I used KOEI's Nobunagas ambition 2 which contains 2 x 8K = 16K of RAM

i made the rewiring for CHR and PRG correctly. The game is booting. The title graphics are fine and everything seemed to be working properly... until I reached the map and found out the graphics of the map were totally glitched. Here's what I get :
simcity.jpg
(pictures are not from me but they illustrate perfectly my problem)

So if I get it right, this would be a ROM issue and not something I messed up during the repro.
Where can I can my hands on the patch/modified ROM that makes the correction?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Yolt1 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

That looks like open bus for nametables, like it's not using the EXRAM.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Yolt1

Post by Yolt1 »

So, what should I do?
- Is there some extra rewiring that should be done?
- Should I reprogram my EPROMs? (Is there a ROM file of the game for use for repros?)

I hope you guys will help me getting working on my hardware