PCB Images in mapper descriptions?

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

PCB Images in mapper descriptions?

Post by NewRisingSun »

Previously, I posted PCB images to the "NES Hardware and Flash Equipment" forum for discussion, and once all questions were answered, then added a link to the respective thread to the wiki's mapper page. For Mapper 368, I uploaded the PCB images directly to the wiki, since krzysiobal had already reverse-engineered the mapper and I had no more questions about it. Which approach is preferred, images directly in the wiki or to forum thread linked to in the wiki? I understand that some forum software has a total combined attachment space limitation, but I don't know if that is the case here, and if there is a file upload limit on the wiki.
rainwarrior

Re: PCB Images in mapper descriptions?

Post by rainwarrior »

I'd be hesitant to have images on the wiki as a norm, it's a very text-oriented reference to begin with. There are image diagrams, but they tend to be sparing.

A lot of the mappers have corresponding "pinout" articles. I think putting the PCB shots on a seprate pinout page (linked from the mapper article lead) would be a very appropriate place for them.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

There are indeed limits (filesizes, extensions, etc.) for Wiki image/attachment uploads. Also, "integrating" them into the page is sometimes painful (I had a page on the nesdev Wiki that did this and I found it tedious and annoying). You might try using something like Google Drive, Dropbox, or even just placing the JPGs on a webserver somewhere and referencing them directly by URL.

Else my comments mirror that of rainwarrior.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

koitsu wrote:You might try using something like Google Drive, Dropbox, or even just placing the JPGs on a webserver somewhere and referencing them directly by URL.
I'd explicitly discourage third-party hosting of this kind of supplemental material. It'll die eventually. (e.g. what happened with imageshack)

It's either unimportant enough that the pictures aren't necessary in the first place, or it's important enough to deal with uploading files to the nesdev mediawiki or phpbb.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Yes, I also think it's good to have these particular images uploaded to the wiki.

Though, on the other hand, bootgod's database is doing the job for most of the mappers, and we have prominent links to it on a lot of mapper pages. It's better organized for this kind of data than the wiki can be, IMO, because the database is built entirely around its single purpose need.

For NewRisingSun's case, if it's not something that would belong in bootgod's database, I think it's fine to supplement by uploading them to the wiki, but I don't really want to see JPG PCBs on mapper pages in general, which is why I suggest putting them on a secondary pinout page.