My first nes game! (DemonDistrict)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

klonoa

Re: My first nes game! (DemonDistrict)

Post by klonoa »

NeverCameBack wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:18 pm Amazing game! The music is awesome.. I hope my first game is even 10% as good as this - myself am just getting through half the NerdyNights tutorials. What exactly are you in school for that this would be your project?
I'm studying game engineering and did this project as my minor.
The programming teachers loved it!
The 3D art teacher I had as my minor coach was less thrilled Hehe :roll:
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Excellent work! Reminded me of Sweet Home for the Famicom. I love how unique it feels compared to other games on the system. I would happily shell out for a full game on cartridge if you ever get to it!

As others have said, I think some of the "hit boxes" for triggering interactions were a little tricky to get (closet door in the first room, and a few others). And I tried multiple times before I actually got into the gas station. Not sure if I was just doing something stupid, or what.

The player character glitches out for me on the screen with the demon statue. I assumed this was intentional, but with homebrew, I wasn't sure. :D
bug.png
Also how is that a bike!? haha :P

You should mention in your first post that the game is only 5-10 mins long. I bet a lot of people stop thinking this is going to be a long game, not realizing they could see the whole thing in single sitting.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Great minor project and an awesome first game!
I survived and I really like the game. I enjoyed graphics especially the demon statue is quite badass. I like the vibe of the game. What sound enginee did you use?
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

Goose2k wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm Excellent work! Reminded me of Sweet Home for the Famicom. I love how unique it feels compared to other games on the system. I would happily shell out for a full game on cartridge if you ever get to it!

As others have said, I think some of the "hit boxes" for triggering interactions were a little tricky to get (closet door in the first room, and a few others). And I tried multiple times before I actually got into the gas station. Not sure if I was just doing something stupid, or what.

The player character glitches out for me on the screen with the demon statue. I assumed this was intentional, but with homebrew, I wasn't sure. :D

bug.png

Also how is that a bike!? haha :P

You should mention in your first post that the game is only 5-10 mins long. I bet a lot of people stop thinking this is going to be a long game, not realizing they could see the whole thing in single sitting.
Woah! No that's not supposed to happen. :lol: :oops:
I was actually thinking of adding a subtitle that says: "An NES horror short" Just to let people know what they're in for.
Thank you for the feedback!
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

RJM wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:47 am Great minor project and an awesome first game!
I survived and I really like the game. I enjoyed graphics especially the demon statue is quite badass. I like the vibe of the game. What sound enginee did you use?

Thank you! :mrgreen:
I use Shiru's famitone2.

The game actually grew a fair bit since I first made this post.
Added weapons and enemies for example.
I'll update this post soon for people who would like to see. :)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

klonoa wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am
The game actually grew a fair bit since I first made this post.
Added weapons and enemies for example.
I'll update this post soon for people who would like to see. :)
That's great to hear. The first chapter was really nice, I'd love to see more.
rox_midge

Post by rox_midge »

klonoa wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am I'll update this post soon for people who would like to see. :)
I missed this the first time around, but I played through it just now, and survived!

It's got a cool little atmosphere, and I like that the puzzles (and, more specifically, their solutions) actually make sense. It's got a great vibe!

Critique-wise, I'd echo the other comments about hitboxes, and add that when navigating between areas I'd rather not have to press a button to leave; attempting to move "into" the door / portal should be enough to trigger the transition.

On the first screen I managed to trigger a behavior in which the screen scrolled continuously to the right; the room transition was playing over and over again, toggling between the first two rooms. I tried to replicate it, but it only happened the very first time.

I'm looking forward to playing the latest version!
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

rox_midge wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 pm
klonoa wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am I'll update this post soon for people who would like to see. :)
I missed this the first time around, but I played through it just now, and survived!

It's got a cool little atmosphere, and I like that the puzzles (and, more specifically, their solutions) actually make sense. It's got a great vibe!

Critique-wise, I'd echo the other comments about hitboxes, and add that when navigating between areas I'd rather not have to press a button to leave; attempting to move "into" the door / portal should be enough to trigger the transition.

On the first screen I managed to trigger a behavior in which the screen scrolled continuously to the right; the room transition was playing over and over again, toggling between the first two rooms. I tried to replicate it, but it only happened the very first time.

I'm looking forward to playing the latest version!
Thanks for the feedback! :D
Funny that you say you don't like to press a button. I've added that after complaints from play-testers.
They didn't like the abrupt change or didn't realize they went through a door most of the time.

Latest version is up. Let me know if you like it!
Scrobins09

Post by Scrobins09 »

Any interest in a physical run for this game? If so, I might be able to help.