What happened to the Nesdev phpBB theme?!?!

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: What happened to the Nesdev phpBB theme?!?!

Post by rainwarrior »

tokumaru wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:05 pm Is Nintendoage gone? Where did everyone there go?
Video Game Sage is the replacement.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Bregalad wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 pmYEAH, the dark theme rocks !
It should be the default, though.
Yes, and Yes.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
calima

Post by calima »

The dark theme is worse for me (buttons appearing empty, some colors not being right), so I'd prefer the old theme restored.
kuja killer

Post by kuja killer »

calima wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am so I'd prefer the old theme restored.
me too. :( I mean im using "dark" now because i dont like the pure white, but i still would rather have the original nesdev theme back.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I feel like bringing the old theme back as it was, 90's table-based layout and all, would be a big step back. The new theme is much more in line with what the internet is like today, and proper support for mobile devices in particular makes a huge difference.
Drag

Post by Drag »

I'm getting used to the new layout. The only thing that trips me up is the fact that "view unread posts" is now hidden under a menu.

If I sat here long enough, I could probably figure out how the breakpoints in the CSS work in order to optimize some button layouts if we really needed it. (I worked with responsive page layouts for about 3 years at my current job)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It was a sudden and unexpected shock, but I'm happy the forum got upgraded. I'm sure it will fix a lot of issues that plagued the old boards.

The only thing I'm iffy about is how "subscribed" topics were migrated... I'm not sure what's going on there. I posted a thread about it but so far it's only appeared to be affecting one particular thread for me and nobody's posted on since.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tokumaru wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:45 pm I feel like bringing the old theme back as it was, 90's table-based layout and all, would be a big step back. The new theme is much more in line with what the internet is like today, and proper support for mobile devices in particular makes a huge difference.
I still think the width of the screen is used very wastely. 50% of my screen's width is unused, that's ridiculous.

Sure, people might look at the forum from their phones, but I don't, and I don't want things to appear on my computer as if it was a phone. After all, it has been proven many time than having phone-like GUIs on computer simply don't work well (a.k.a Windows 10, and Gnome 3).
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I'm not opposed to tweaking the CSS to make things work better for all users (specially if you do it on your end using browser extensions and the like, but in the server too, if everyone agrees), I just don't think we should be using ancient HTML code in modern browsers. Changing a single max-width CSS property of the page so you can cover more of your screen is very different from bringing back the whole table-based layout that scales very badly across different devices.
Drag

Post by Drag »

You see wasted space, I see a great space to put a nice big banner ad. ;) (Kidding of course)

About content width, the reason most modern layouts restrict the content to a certain width (and give you huge margins on the left and right and/or sidebars) is because it's easier to read lots of text when it's condensed to about 60 characters per line; It comes down to how far you have to move your eyes back and forth, how some can use their peripheral vision to speed read, people who have trouble staying focused throughout each line of text, etc, and we have decades of printed materials to back this up. :P

That's not to say that text should always be laid out like that though (like source code for example, which everyone knows 80 columns is the correct answer there ;)), but when a website does it, there is logic behind it. :P

The issue I tend to have these days is that font sizes are too small. I don't know if I'm just becoming a grandpa already, or if 8pt font sizes have gotten smaller over time (whereas they felt very efficient and still readable back 20 years ago), but in either case, I can just zoom in.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Drag wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:30 pm
About content width, the reason most modern layouts restrict the content to a certain width (and give you huge margins on the left and right and/or sidebars) is because it's easier to read lots of text when it's condensed to about 60 characters per line; It comes down to how far you have to move your eyes back and forth, how some can use their peripheral vision to speed read, people who have trouble staying focused throughout each line of text, etc, and we have decades of printed materials to back this up. :P
And I appreciate that most sites do this. I can't properly read text with huge long lines the whole width of my monitor. Sure, some sites overdo it (the tiny strip of content down the middle on facebook is a ridiculous use of space), but I think the theme here is great in that regard.
nocash

Post by nocash »

Bregalad wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:33 amI still think the width of the screen is used very wastely. 50% of my screen's width is unused, that's ridiculous.
Could that be a problem with your browser, or do you have an ultra-wide-hires monitor, or did you configure the browser to use super-small fontsize, or did you connect to something like wap.mobile.forums.nesdev.com (if there is any such thing)?

With my two browsers (pc/win98/opera with 19" screen, and tablet/android/chrome with 8" screen), I have small borders on left/right, and the message text is using at least 66% of the screen (not counting the avatar column, which is blowing up another 20% or so).

In terms of characters per message line, I am seeing about 144 characters, which looks okay to me. 60 characters would be a bit small (for webpages). And something like 300 characters might be really hard to read, I probably wouldn't like that (even if I had 35" monitor capable of displaying that much text).
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
tepples

Post by tepples »

A CSS container with a 1200px or equivalently 75rem width occupies half the width of the 2560x1440 pixel display of a 27" iMac. (Yes, that's 16 Game Boy displays wide by 10 tall.) If maximized, it leaves the left fourth and right fourth of the window as margin.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Don't forget DPI scaling; what is programmatically written as "1200px" might actually translate to 1800px physically on the screen, for example.

(If it doesn't, then I argue that you need a better window manager which can maximize windows in a more space-efficient way :P)
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

If you want the page's content to be more narrow, there's nothing stopping you from resizing your browser window to make it more narrow. My complaint is that I want the content to be wider, but resizing my browser window to make it wider has no effect.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.