Compo Entry coming soon: NNNNNN

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Compo Entry coming soon: NNNNNN

Post by gauauu »

So I finally decided that I'd make a compo game again this year. I'm treating it like a game jam, seeing if I can make a fun game in a small handful of hours. I'm 6 hours in so far, and feeling pretty good about it. Basic gameplay is working properly, now I just need to add a lot of polish.

More detail to come later, but I wanted to at least put this out in there, since nobody has yet announced any entries. I don't know if anybody else is taking part this year, but I'm in!
Last edited by gauauu on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calima

Re: Compo Entry coming soon.....

Post by calima »

Win by default is the best kind of win :beer:
pubby

Post by pubby »

And you wouldn't just win 1st, but also 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th!
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I'm expecting a Gruniozerca part 73 to show up here in a few days though, to ruin any hopes I have of scoring well. :P
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

I'm 90% sure that my game won't be done in time, and I don't want to reveal it partially done. When I switched from CNROM to UNROM, I ended up getting deep into the weeds of graphics tile compression, probably way more than I needed to. It was a fun excursion and I learned a lot, but it stalled my progress on other things like music and level design.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Well, if you have such concepts as "level design" then your entry will be much more complex than mine :-)
gauauu

Re: Compo Entry coming soon: NNNNNN

Post by gauauu »

Ok, here we go. I managed to scrap some time together today to finish up the first draft of this. Probably still some bugs that will need to get worked out, and a little more polish if I have time, but...

NNNNNN:
A port of the Gravitron from Terry Cavanagh's vvvvvv to the NES, but supporting up to 4 players simultaneously.

Featuring music by Chip Jockey.

Dodge the obstacles. Stay alive as long as you can. My best time during testing so far is 40 seconds. My family's average time is 3 seconds.

Let me know if you see any bugs.

gameplay.png
gameplay.png (9.84 KiB) Viewed 13160 times
Attachments
nnnnnn-191208.nes
Fixed mapper (bnrom) and removed stray write to $4567
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Last edited by gauauu on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

That's fun!

I'm not any good at it, though. And it's been long enough since I played VVVVVV that I can't remember how I did on any equivalent level there. I probably died lots, since that's what VVVVVV was all about :p

Mapper can safely be changed from GTROM to ANROM without any ill effect.

(Game randomly writes to $4567 whenever you die?)
Punch

Post by Punch »

calima wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:59 am Win by default is the best kind of win :beer:
Is the situation of the current compo really that dire? I can see some games popping up in the final week, I mean I know at least of one person working on something (me) and you have NESMaker and the C nes compiler to account for, plus old projects and stuff.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 pm

(Game randomly writes to $4567
Oops, I meant to change it to bnrom. And yeah, the write to $4567 was for debugging, forgot to remove it. Thanks for catching that.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Punch wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 am
calima wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:59 am Win by default is the best kind of win :beer:
Is the situation of the current compo really that dire? I can see some games popping up in the final week, I mean I know at least of one person working on something (me) and you have NESMaker and the C nes compiler to account for, plus old projects and stuff.
Yeah, stuff usually pops up at the end. Although in previous years there were a handful of game threads already, so it either everyone is more secretive, more last-minute, or there's fewer entries.

And I might be totally wrong, but from what I've heard, I think the architecture of how nesmaker puts a ROM together would be hard to adapt to the competition requirements without a lot of changes (which your average nesmaker user might not be able to do). So I doubt there will be many entries coming from nesmaker.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Wow, great little game. :beer:

Is the deadline the end of January again?
Denine

Post by Denine »

I'm expecting a Gruniozerca part 73 to show up here in a few days though, to ruin any hopes I have of scoring well.
Traditionally, Grunio games are made for Gramytatywnie charity event auctions. Grunio 3 was made for last years event but the charity did not happen, so we auctions it this year(thanks to infiniteneslives cart donations!). So, no Grunio this compo.
*menacingly* next year for sure.

Haha, the music is excellent, Chip Jockey at his finest.
My best time so far is 11:29. I was getting sub 4 until I realized you can wrap on the screen edges.
Excellent little game for a bit of challenge :)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

pubby wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:08 am Wow, great little game. :beer:

Is the deadline the end of January again?

I believe so.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

gauauu wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:41 am
lidnariq wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 pm

(Game randomly writes to $4567
Oops, I meant to change it to bnrom. And yeah, the write to $4567 was for debugging, forgot to remove it. Thanks for catching that.
Posted updated rom (above) with those things fixed.