NES Maker (for VTxx machines)

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

kludge

Re: NES Maker (for VTxx machines)

Post by kludge »

Ben Boldt wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:18 pmThe menu PRG-ROM appears to occupy $60000 - 7FFFF. The game names in ASCII can be found here.
Cool! I couldn’t see any ASCII strings while just scrolling through the dump, so I just kind of gave up until I found this thread :)
kludge

Post by kludge »

NewRisingSun wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:22 am I suggest that the extra ROM, which I expect to be very small, be specified as a "Misc ROM" in the NES 2.0 header.
Any idea what it contains? LCD driver?
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I think it is a kind of protection to put some code in an extra ROM.
kludge

Post by kludge »

NewRisingSun wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:32 am I think it is a kind of protection to put some code in an extra ROM.
Hopefully not a checksum of the other rom.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

No, they just outsourced one very common PPU write, "STA $2001", into that extra chip's ROM to make sure that the menu would not work without its data.
timschuerewegen

Post by timschuerewegen »

V1.8.0 (added support for Gaming Tech CT-885)
kludge

Post by kludge »

timschuerewegen wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:35 pm V1.8.0 (added support for Gaming Tech CT-885)
That was fast! Sadly I’m at work for the next eight hours :)
kludge

Post by kludge »

Joerne wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:24 am I'm having issues playing some of the games, it seems that the games with a "CHR Size" of 00000000 don't start. Contra behaves this way for me, even though I've seen you play it in your YouTube video. Do you have a remedy for this?

EDIT: I think it has to do with this white arcade cabinet only supporting mapper 0 and 4...
I’m getting a dialog saying “prg/chr size combination 131072/0 not supported” on a bunch of ROMs with a CHR size of 0 when clicking the “Test” button. Is that to be expected? Can I do something to fix this, or are those games just not compatible?

Sorry for being a total n00b :)

Edit: Anything other than mappers 0, 1 or 4 it seems.
kludge

Post by kludge »

timschuerewegen wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:35 pm V1.8.0 (added support for Gaming Tech CT-885)
Is NES Maker supposed to create a *.bin.nes file when clicking "Make"? How many bytes should I strip from the head of the file to get to the data to be programmed? :D #n00b
timschuerewegen

Post by timschuerewegen »

kludge wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:24 amIs NES Maker supposed to create a *.bin.nes file when clicking "Make"? How many bytes should I strip from the head of the file to get to the data to be programmed? :D #n00b
Oops. "Make" no longer generates a file. I will fix it right now.

EDIT: fixed
kludge

Post by kludge »

timschuerewegen wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am Oops. "Make" no longer generates a file. I will fix it right now.

EDIT: fixed
I just assumed it was me. It’s alive!

4DAD1A20-3467-4EED-B68F-118ACF19131E.jpeg

How are people dealing with not having a “Select” button? Some games are probably more or less unplayable without one.
BadBert

Post by BadBert »

Hi guys.
i am new to this kind of dev....

i would like to flash my arcade game to run NES roms....
the download links on the first post are down?
lxx33

Post by lxx33 »

I received a (action) white mini arcade 240in1 from christmas. Love arcade, have a original Killer Instinct cabinet @home that now run Hyperspin on it.
Don't have real program skills, but did some ps1 modifications way way back in the day and also dit upload some other firmware in my dd-wrt router and also some other things. Always with lots of tutorials, because I have little/no skill in this field.

I'm no programmer, but after seeing timschuerewegen youtube video with the same mini arcade 240in1 and running other games on it, I went on ebay an bought the CH341A programmer. I will definately give this a shot so TMNT, DK and Pacman will hopefully someday run on the deviec.

When I receive it, this noob is going to give it a try and hope you can all help me bringing this to a success. Probably will document it so the next noob will also succeed :)
frntz

Post by frntz »

Hi there, I got a micro arcade machine this christmas. I downloaded the software and I bought the Chip programmer but I don't know the machine type actually. Do you know which one I can select for this machine ? https://imgur.com/kvpZNAB https://imgur.com/vzyIcrZ or is this arcade not supported yet ? Thank you so much for your response :)
BadBert

Post by BadBert »

it looks like the my arcade retro machine (v1 or v2) but it's not exactly the same?
Maybe tim can give you the correct answer?