Alien Isolation

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Alien Isolation

Post by lidnariq »

The question you're addressing is ultimately the question of publishing a game, not writing one. And it's still several steps removed from "Will using compression free up enough space to cross a price point that makes something worthwhile to a publisher"

You're probably ultimately trying to aim at "maybe you should design levels to be compatible with compression that ensures that your game is publishable" except that my point is that "publishing" a game for a legacy console like this is already a weird idea, with weird constraints that don't have anything to do with publishing either modern indie games today or historical manufacturing during the commercial lifetime. After NROM, the cheapest hardware you can make using new parts now is a 128/128 GNROM-class mapper, and the incremental cost of the next two sizes (256KB and 512KB) of nonvolatile memory is small. Most of the cost largely comes from advanced mapper selection, or if you want to exceed 512KB memories.

I do wish that I could still find good enough links to the people manufacturing COOLBOY or MINDKIDS boards that I could relay trustworthy prices for all-new MMC3-class releases. AliExpress and AliBaba are not making it easy.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

sdm wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:59 am The game has not finished so there are not many things. It's all game concepts, whether they will be completed I do not know, it all depends on time and desire (I do not do it for money, everything hobby).
You need to do:
* titlescreen
* instruction screeen
* a way to block alien for a short time
The Jet Set Willy engine is almost ready, all I have to do is design the levels (not 100% identical). I will definitely want to finish it.
Great news. I will wait for completion.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I did a youtube video of my playing experience.

If you really want to make the game a little more player friendly I would suggest the following:

- Add more crates (hiding spots)

- Maybe make the players run speed a little faster

- Maybe add some powerups like (stun gun, food as bait, invincibility)

- Add a bunch of levels going from EASY to HARD

-Maybe the robots just block you instead of killing you (like you can't push them out of the way or something)

Overall not bad, but very difficult.

Here is the video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3KHx8 ... e=youtu.be
Scrobins09

Post by Scrobins09 »

Any updates on your game? I've been following enthusiastically :)
sdm

Post by sdm »

I wrote in the first post that it will not be continued.

In the attachment I put another demo from 2020, a slightly newer, rewritten code of the field of view of opponents and their behavior. This is just a test demo, not a game. I haven't continued to develop this code, so I'm posting the ROM as a curiosity.

SELECT changes the visibility of the "rays" of the field of view of one of the opponents (they are only visible when the opponent is directed in our direction). The flickering "ghost" is where the enemy last "seen" you.
As in "Alien", we can sneak and run, which affects the "hearing" of us by opponents.
Attachments
fov2.nes
(128.02 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I must say it's a good engine and it works very well as a game despite being just a demo.
Sneaking seems pointless however as the enemies doesn't seem to hear you walking even if you are quite close to them.
Running is useful both for escaping when seen and for creating a diversion.
sdm

Post by sdm »

There is a difference between normal walking and sneaking (slight difference). When walking normally, the direction of enemy movement is half RNG and half TOWARDS the player. However, when we are sneaking, there is a half RNG movement draw and half to the player's OPPOSITE side. This is a minor difference because I didn't have a good idea for this mechanic.

EDIT:
In addition, I'm posting a ROM from another tech demo (earlier).
Attachments
fov0.nes
(256.02 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by sdm on Mon May 15, 2023 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Oh I see, didn't notice that.
donato-zits-

Post by donato-zits- »

FOV, wac for sure... hey and you know, I dont mean 'women's army corps" , I never thinks that I could see a soo great sample of survival horror in our FCS/NES, this black hole have no limits...