cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: Böbl

Post by cpow »

Beautiful game! Love the name too. Very IKEA. :lol:
CoinopFL

Post by CoinopFL »

Just created an account to say Thank You! for this game/demo. I have been loving Micro Mages that I got off the kickstarter, and this also a great concept.

I would love to see it as a full fledged game one day. Also.....
bngrybt wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:07 am Is there a purpose to the sleeping/burping frog? I can't quite figure out what he does.
Curious about this also x2 (found two different frogs) :)
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

I have been able to try the game a little and the design of the different zones catches my attention and I liked the concept of the game a lot. This type of game reminds me of others like STREEMERZ (saving the distances).
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Part 2 when? :D
Attachments
Böbl (Europe)_000.png
Böbl (Europe)_000.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 17754 times
Atelier-Betoux

Post by Atelier-Betoux »

bngrybt wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:07 am Is there a purpose to the sleeping/burping frog? I can't quite figure out what he does.
The frogs are just living there, making this place a bit alive.. or sleepy :)
(no need to interact with them, maybe it will be possible in a later version if we continue)
Uarux

Post by Uarux »

Loved playing the game! I made a map for anyone who needs it :)
Attachments
Böbl - All Items Map.png
Böbl - Full Game Map.png
dink

Post by dink »

miau,
Awesome game, loving it!

Just curious - what's the secret behind the unmapped writes to 0x4020 / 0x4030?
0x4020 writes 0 and 0x4030 writes 0x90 in succession every frame.
miau

Post by miau »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!
denilsonsa wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 am I have one piece of feedback about the level layout: I spent a lot of time going in circles between the "deep" and the "iron" upgrades. That's because:
1) I didn't notice the waterfall at the bottom of the screen, under some still water.
I think there are two screens like that. Which one are you talking about?

There is one right before the diving section where the waterfall is too far on the bottom side of the screen, outside of the visible safe area of the screen, possibly obscured by TV overscan. But that can't possibly be the one because it wouldn't allow you to go in circles if you hit the bell there...?
dink wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:15 am Just curious - what's the secret behind the unmapped writes to 0x4020 / 0x4030?
0x4020 writes 0 and 0x4030 writes 0x90 in succession every frame.
Oops, totally forgot about those. They control the Nintendulator DX cycle timers.
denilsonsa

Post by denilsonsa »

miau wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:12 am I think there are two screens like that. Which one are you talking about?
It was the second violet room, which was the first violet room without any cloud. When I got there (entering from the right), I can see a long flat body of water. I walk/float across it, and meet a gap that is too wide for me to cross (until I find an upgrade or two). Then I just walk back and try the cloud area, or I go back down. Essentially, I completely missed the waterfall, even though it was right in front of me, visible on the screen.

Looking at the map (thanks to Uarux!), I can reflect why.

Up until this point, I learned that:
1. I cannot dive too deep (not enough upgrades).
2. Vertical water shafts are a way to move up, and only up (until I get some upgrade). The underground purple shafts even have some decorations that look like arrows pointing up.
3. I can jump on top of rivers and waterfalls (and they are always on the surface, because so far they never showed up deep).
4. So far, the level design was relatively linear, going either to the left or to the right, with vertical branching paths at the middle of the screen.

In addition, it was next to the shaft that propelled me up, so I could have confused the two. And, finally, on that color scheme the waterfall is brighter than usual (less contrast). Given all of this, I somehow completely missed that waterfall.

One simple solution is to move it towards the center of that screen. :)
miau

Post by miau »

Ahh, I missed that one looking at the map because of the colors.

This was one of the spots I had qualms about during development, but it was hard to convince Nicolas to change it. Now I can show him your post and shout "TOLD YOU!" like a big babby. 8-) Moohaha. Thanks!
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Everything about the game is excellent. Music, graphics and gameplay, programming. It's all there. I didn't beat it. But also didn't look at those maps someone posted.

Very cool idea and the polish is 10/10!
brunovalads

Post by brunovalads »

Such a great game, thanks for this delight!

I was watching some speedruns of it and they are abusing an oversight in a tile colision in the pit where you get Double Jump to get it faster by reaching out of bounds rooms, and I was wonder what else could you get out of bounds.

I cheated to avoid death (address $040A is the bubble state apparently) and have infinite double jumps ($003D is the flag for it), being able to explore a lot of glitched rooms. Thanks Uarux for the maps, I incremented it with my findings.

These are the rooms I could reach, the missing ones crash the game, probably the resulting tile data pointer points to something that break the game or loop indefinitely. An interesting result is that the whole map loops, there on the right you can see a copy of the normal area but 1 screen up. Another cool thing is that blue room in the bottom to the right, for some reason there's a copy of the Bubble, you end up controlling both.

My whole idea was to reach the credits room earlier by abusing these rooms, but as you can see you can't get there unfortunately.
kidchameleon

Post by kidchameleon »

I was very impressed by this, the colors were very vibrant. Challenging gameplay
toshi5o3

Post by toshi5o3 »

Super late to the party on this one. Damn, it's fantastic. Always appreciate your work guys.
joaopaulofcc

Post by joaopaulofcc »

Thank you very much for that game. Incredible work! Congratulations!