Sam's Journey · Now Available For Pre-Order!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Knights of Bytes

Re: Sam's Journey · A new NES game in the making

Post by Knights of Bytes »

Making progress with Sam's Journey on the NES: Just finished the interior ship levels!

Pirate Sam under deck, facing some undead creatures

We wish you all a Happy Easter with a lot of retrogaming! :D

Chester
Knights of Bytes · New Games for Classic Computers and Consoles
Website · Facebook · Twitter · YouTube
dink

Post by dink »

Lovely :)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

tepples wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am How should someone doing a debut cartridge release cover the cost of importing the appropriate console and a compatible low-latency TV? I have contributed to several NES cartridge releases but never acted as producer.
For anyone in Europe with any genuine interest in the NES, it's very common to own a NTSC console, due to how botched most PAL releases were.
I might be in the more extreme end of the spectrum, but I personally own 3 PAL NES'es, two NTSC NES'es, and three Famicom variations. But everyone I know locally who genuinely plays NES games on hardware in 2020 do so on an NTSC console.

CRTs are usually not a problem. Almost every "recent" model (mid 90s and forward) of well-known brands support both 50hz and 60hz perfectly with both PAL and NTSC color coding.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Knights of Bytes wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:15 pm
We've been asked if there will be a PAL and an NTSC version of Sam's Journey on the NES. The answer is yes, and we're even going the extra mile and will provide equalized gameplay speeds on both systems! It seems to work well so far!

That's great. I was following your updates on VGS and this is great news.
dink

Post by dink »

Knights of Bytes, are you the same guy (or team?) that did Metal Dust? I used to be nuts for that game back in the mid 00's :)

best regards,
- dink
Knights of Bytes

Deadeye wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:01 am
Knights of Bytes wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:15 pm We've been asked if there will be a PAL and an NTSC version of Sam's Journey on the NES. The answer is yes, and we're even going the extra mile and will provide equalized gameplay speeds on both systems! It seems to work well so far!
That's great. I was following your updates on VGS and this is great news.
Thanks, Deadeye. We really think it'll be worth the effort.
dink wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:53 pmLovely :)
Thanks, dink, always appreciated! :)
dink wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:31 am Knights of Bytes, are you the same guy (or team?) that did Metal Dust?
You mean this hell of a shmup for a ridiculously pimped C64? :D Yes, we created Metal Dust somewhere in the early 00's and released it via Protovision in July 2005.
dink wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:31 am I used to be nuts for that game back in the mid 00's :)
Glad you liked it so much. And I am actually aware of this! If I'm not mistaken, you were posting about it on the Lemon64 forum, right? :)

Chester
dink

Post by dink »

Knights of Bytes: ahh yes - that was me almost a decade ago!
I can only imagine how great Sam's Journey is going to be :)

best regards,
- dink
Knights of Bytes

Hi there, NesDev community.

It's been some time, but now we're back with another update on Sam's Journey for the NES:

Even down in an eerie cave with its dark abyss, the thrust of a jetpack may come in handy. Enjoy our fourth teaser and watch Space Sam using his new power suit to defy gravity and catapult himself to new heights! Just click to play:

Sam's Journey (NES) · Sneak Peek #4 · "Space Sam Oddity"

Stay tuned for more updates! :)

Chester
Knights of Bytes
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Looks great!
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Knights of Bytes

dougeff wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:30 amLooks great!
Thanks, dougeff, very much appreciated! :)
wonder

Post by wonder »

Is this 16bit?? :shock: :shock: Holy sh!t, this game looks amazing!!! Are you sure this is for the NES? It looks like an early SEGA Genesis / MegaDrive game!!!

The gameplay looks so smooth, the backgrounds look incredible and the way secret areas are revealed is just amazing!! I can’t wait for the demo!!

Do you have a Kickstarter?
Knights of Bytes

wonder wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:31 pm Is this 16bit?? :shock: :shock: Holy sh!t, this game looks amazing!!! Are you sure this is for the NES? It looks like an early SEGA Genesis / MegaDrive game!!!
Yeah, it's indeed for our good old 8-bit NES! :D
wonder wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:31 pm The gameplay looks so smooth, the backgrounds look incredible and the way secret areas are revealed is just amazing!!
Thanks! And you're right: Quite some work went into that secret reveal mechanism.
wonder wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:31 pmDo you have a Kickstarter?
Not yet, but we're planning to launch one when we've reached a certain state of progress - which may be quite soon!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

This project is very impressive! Everything you've been able to do on the NES regarding sprites and animations is way beyond what the average NES game has to offer. It really does look like a game made for a more powerful system... congratulations!

One thing about it really, really bothers me though: Sam's hands in the artwork and title screen. I imagine you're going for a "cute" look, based on Sam's big head, but the hands miss the mark and instead look bony and sort of aged. You can tell that the artist struggles with drawing hands a bit, because many of them are off somehow (the bad guy's hands are fine, though). To match the art style I think Sam's hands should be less detailed (to avoid the bony look) and a bit chubbier. Maybe I'm being too nit-picky, but considering how great everything else looks, the hands are just not up to par.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

That camera movement is gorgeous :shock:
rox_midge

Post by rox_midge »

This project infuriates me because it's just that @*&# good, and I hate it because I'm envious of it, and I'm 100% buying it when it's released.
tokumaru wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:52 pm One thing about it really, really bothers me though: Sam's hands in the artwork and title screen.
I didn't notice that before, but yeah, wow, those are some Rob-Liefeld-quality hands, and now I can't unsee them.

On the other hand, lots of really awesome games have really crappy box art, so if that's the final art, it will be in excellent company on the shelf!
Controllerhead wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:01 pm That camera movement is gorgeous :shock:
I wonder how it will feel during gameplay. I love how smooth it is, but I worry that it's a bit too loose / floaty. But that might just be my envy flaring up again :)

Knights of Bytes, you already know this, but this game is looking really great!