Nalleland

Moderator: Moderators

Nallebeorn

Nalleland

Post by Nallebeorn »

This game does have a thread on these forums already (with a pretty outdated version now) and I was even asked last year if the game could be included on the multicart (in vol. 4). But I figured I might as well submit it to the compo too — competitions are fun, after all.

Nalleland is a platformer about a little yellow bear with an enchanted pin. The pin can be thrown into walls and then jumped on; or thrown at monsters to pin them in place, rendering them harmless (and possible to kill). There are also some shiny gems to collect, because that's always exciting.
Nalleland_004.png
Nalleland_004.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 12982 times
This is my first attempt at making a NES game, I worked on it mostly from fall 2018 to summer 2019. I hope you'll enjoy it. It was fun to make.
Attachments
Nalleland (0.3.4).nes
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Last edited by Nallebeorn on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WhiteHat94

Re: Nalleland

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Awesome to see another release of this, it's really fun. My best run so far has been 1:09.50.

I recorded myself looking for glitches, the stuff I thought was notable is listed in the description hopefully some of it is useful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofk_nGKNmQ
scott_the_phd

Post by scott_the_phd »

I really enjoyed this! Very original, fun to explore, and figuring out how to get to tough areas and fighting the boss was gratifying. I love the detail like the birds and the opportunity to be a little evil.

Excellent entry! :D
Krill

Post by Krill »

I had so much fun with this! Exploring every nook and cranny to find all the gems felt really satisfying. Great job!
Nallebeorn

Post by Nallebeorn »

WhiteHat94 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:45 pm Awesome to see another release of this, it's really fun. My best run so far has been 1:09.50.

I recorded myself looking for glitches, the stuff I thought was notable is listed in the description hopefully some of it is useful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofk_nGKNmQ
Thanks for breaking my game :P I fixed most of what you mentioned in the description (the wall skip and the first oddly placed breakable wall are intended). The "getting stuck in breakable walls" glitch is a bit embarrassing, because it also seems to happen when returning from the secret room in the cave, where you have to go back through the breakable wall. It looks like at some point I introduced a regression so that breakable walls are only despawned if the player isn't grounded, and then somehow never catched that while testing.

1:09 is quite an impressive time! The best I've seen otherwise is 1:41, and that already seemed pretty optimized in my eye.
Last edited by Nallebeorn on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteHat94

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Cool, I'll check out the new version too. But yeah, I found a pretty big skip, haha, but it's kind of hard to do

Edit: down to 1:04.21 now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2uehfwEBts
Last edited by WhiteHat94 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Played a bit through this and love it so far. :D
WhiteHat94

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Found another really minor glitch, if you pull the pin out of a target before a gate fully opens, the gate will close but the bottom tiles of the gate will have no collision and you can just walk thru. Doesn't really effect anything, but figured I would mention it

Edit: this game is too fun, I can't stop looking for things, haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRdc1rvkfnA
ShiningBZH

Post by ShiningBZH »

Hello ! I've made a forum account just to say that your game is really amazing , i enjoy it a lot ! :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJnqKV ... e=youtu.be

Edit : DB-15 controllers aren't working on your game ;)
Nallebeorn

Post by Nallebeorn »

ShiningBZH wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:59 am Hello ! I've made a forum account just to say that your game is really amazing , i enjoy it a lot ! :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJnqKV ... e=youtu.be

Edit : DB-15 controllers aren't working on your game ;)
I'm honored :) :beer: I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't really aware that expansion port controllers was a thing, haha,
humanthomas

Post by humanthomas »

Is there a reason the graphics are showing totally garbled for me? I'm trying to play in FCEUX 2.2.3
tepples

Post by tepples »

Is this 2.2.3 official release or an AppVeyor release? This ROM uses the Action 53 mapper, and FCEUX 2.2.3 has defects in its support for Action 53's CNROM-like mode, which were fixed three years ago in commit 3339. Grabbing a newer build of FCEUX from AppVeyor may fix it.
humanthomas

Post by humanthomas »

tepples wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:20 pm Is this 2.2.3 official release or an AppVeyor release? This ROM uses the Action 53 mapper, and FCEUX 2.2.3 has defects in its support for Action 53's CNROM-like mode, which were fixed three years ago in commit 3339. Grabbing a newer build of FCEUX from AppVeyor may fix it.
That seems to have fixed it! Thanks!
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

I was testing the game. Both the latest version that has been published in this thread and the version that was published long ago in this same forum. Just say that I love the concept of the game as well as the design of the levels. Is there a plan to include more levels to the game?
miau

Post by miau »

Fun game!

Animations have always been one of my favorite things about sprite work and making them good is all about timing rather than simply throwing large amounts of frames at it.

This game does it right.
The long "air time" of the main character's walking animation makes it seem like he's skipping, carefree, which fits this game perfectly. I simply enjoy watching him walk. That one frame when you land after a jump + the dust particles give a nice impression, too!

All the interactions feel great and the jump has a good weight to it. Just wish there was more content.