SaveTheKuin: action-adventure

Moderator: Moderators

M_Tee

Re: SaveTheKuin: action-adventure

Post by M_Tee »

That would help a lot. It's exactly how I expected it to work actually. I actually really like the grid-based movement, btw.

Honestly, not very far. I started a few very quick, casual plays. Went in the castle once, the inns once, to the left once and to the right twice. (In the exact opposite order actually).

I like what I saw though, especially how the player gets obscured by the anjmated grass.

Regarding changing direction w/o movement:
I want to clear the grass and it seems unnecessarily complex to plan in advance my position and location before starting. Like, I expect to be able to cut the grass to the left of me without first going up, right, down, left. It feels like if grasscutting would be such a hindrance, combat would be even more so, especially if more than one enemy is nearby or if attacked from a direction that's not immediately ahead or if fighting in a cramped area.
DRW

Post by DRW »

I have some other suggestions:

1. I'm not sure whether the shadows behind the trees look so good. Maybe you should remove them:
Tree.png
Tree.png (621 Bytes) Viewed 7311 times
2. When you talk to a character, let him use the A button while the text is building up to make the text appear at once. It can be a bit bothersome if you have to wait two frames per letter for every single text, so the player should be able to skip the buildup.
Also, pressing B to skip the dialog should be implemented, but you would need an indicator per dialog box whether it may be canceled or not. Because important storyline texts should not be able to cancel.

3. And the start and game over music should be improved. I know this is an issue in commercial games as well (like "Final Fatasy Adventure"), but for me personally, it gets on my nerves very quickly. My suggestion is to use some fadeout instruments for this song and make them not so high.
The music in the wilderness is alright, though.

And I would suggest to replace the hero's sprite with the skull and bones when he dies, instead of showing the skull only shortly and ending the game with his regular standing sprite on screen.

lancuster wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:55 am
Alp wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:06 pm Unfortunately, the Cat Quest project is long gone.
Alp, what about the other your games? Cotton and Candy and Cotton and Candy 2?
This is something that I'm really curious about as well.

Apparently, Alp works on so many games. Not only on the graphics, but on the code as well since he often states how many bytes some stuff requires.
Among other things, there was a "Zelda"-like game, a "Hydlide"-like game, several "Mario"-inspired platformers, including one that looks much more impressive than "Super Mario Bros.", but apparently compresses the levels to only use a fraction of the size of the original SMB1.
There were games that were 90 % finished, a game that he wanted to use for a competition. And so on.
Even Doug lists one of Alp's games on his website.

And yet, apart from still images, I have never seen anything from Alp. No demo videos, no ROMs.
So, I'm curious as well: Alp, can we see anything of your work anywhere?
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
olddb

Post by olddb »

Sorry for the late respond. I was MIA.

Once again, thanks for your suggestion and time.
Some of your suggestions I have already implemented into version 02! So please, play that if you can.
DRW wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am I have some other suggestions:

1. I'm not sure whether the shadows behind the trees look so good. Maybe you should remove them:
Tree.png
I will try this.
DRW wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am 2. When you talk to a character, let him use the A button while the text is building up to make the text appear at once. It can be a bit bothersome if you have to wait two frames per letter for every single text, so the player should be able to skip the buildup.
Also, pressing B to skip the dialog should be implemented, but you would need an indicator per dialog box whether it may be canceled or not. Because important storyline texts should not be able to cancel.
I like this. Maybe pressing select can be used to skip 'cut scenes'. I will try to implement it.

DRW wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am 3. And the start and game over music should be improved. I know this is an issue in commercial games as well (like "Final Fatasy Adventure"), but for me personally, it gets on my nerves very quickly. My suggestion is to use some fadeout instruments for this song and make them not so high.
I don't know about this. I like the tune.
DRW wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am The music in the wilderness is alright, though.
I love the music in the wilderness.
DRW wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am And I would suggest to replace the hero's sprite with the skull and bones when he dies, instead of showing the skull only shortly and ending the game with his regular standing sprite on screen.
The idea behind the skull was to mimic Secret of Mana. In that game when a character dies the grim reaper appears momentarily. A skull seem like a perfect fit for this game.

Anyways, how far did you made it? Did you tried the boomerang?
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I got the sword. I then walked into a cave with arrows and then got shot and died.

Some of the music notes last for too long and make everything seem to drag. It was hard to cut grass because the character felt like he was on a grid.
olddb

Post by olddb »

Erockbrox wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 pm I got the sword. I then walked into a cave with arrows and then got shot and died.

Some of the music notes last for too long and make everything seem to drag. It was hard to cut grass because the character felt like he was on a grid.
Try a different route next time. Let me know how it goes. :P