NES 2.0 XML Database

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

Re: NES 2.0 XML Database

Post by NewRisingSun »

General remark: Because the Virtual Console is all-emulated, its regional tags cannot be readily translated into NES 2.0 header tags, which reflect original hardware requirements. A "European" Virtual Console ROM can still require NTSC timing, for example. I therefore pay no attention to regional tags at all when it comes to Virtual Console games, and give them the exact same Region entry as the original cartridge ROM, unless it has been modified. In the latter case, I will determine compatibility by trying it out with both NTSC and PAL timing settings.
Lodan wrote:NTSC listed games that probably could be DUAL or PAL: Balloon Fight (Europe) (Virtual Console)
PAL timing causes the status bar at the top of the screen to scroll along, so NTSC timing required.
Lodan wrote:NTSC listed games that probably could be DUAL or PAL: Mach Rider (Europe) (Virtual Console)
PAL timing causes the status bar to be garbled, and the street view to have graphical glitches, so NTSC timing required.
Lodan wrote:NTSC listed games that probably could be DUAL or PAL: Mindblower Pak (Australia) (Unl)
"Math Quiz"' title screen will have the screen split wrong with PAL timing, so NTSC timing required. (I don't care that this thing was released in PAL country Australia; I only care about what the game actually requires.)
Lodan wrote:PAL listed games that probably could be DUAL:
Ufouria - The Saga (USA, Europe) (Wii U Virtual Console)
Ufouria - The Saga (USA, Europe) (Wii Virtual Console)
NTSC timing causes the DPCM channel to play out-of-tune relative to the other sound channels, so PAL timing required.
Lodan wrote:Probably wrongly listed as Dendy game:
Ice Hockey (Europe) (Virtual Console)
No, purposefully listed as Dendy game: the music is sped up to play right at 50 Hz, but the screen split at the title screen still requires NTSC timing. As a result, the game will play correctly only with Dendy timing. Nintendo probably goofed on this one, but that's not my concern.
Lodan wrote:No-Intro PAL flagged games listed as DUAL:
There is no justification for No-Intro to flag these Sachen games as PAL-only. Sachen first developed all their games for NTSC, then later adjusted them to work with both timings, if necessary and whenever possible.
Lodan wrote:No-Intro PAL flagged games listed as NTSC:
Colorful Dragon (Asia) (Ja) (PAL) (Unl)
Mahjong World, The - Ma Que Shi Jie (Asia) (Ja) (PAL) (Unl)
Sidewinder (Asia) (Ja) (PAL) (Unl)
These particular versions were only released as 60-pin cartidges in Taiwan, to my knowledge, hence NTSC. But I suppose they would also work as Dual.
Lodan wrote:No-Intro PAL flagged games listed as NTSC:
Strategist (Asia) (Ja) (PAL) (Unl)
Same, but with the addition that this game seemingly freezes right at the start when run with PAL timing, so NTSC required.

You can tell that I don't care much for No-Intro's "PAL" tagging in the case of unlicensed games. ;)
Lodan

Post by Lodan »

NewRisingSun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:28 am You can tell that I don't care much for No-Intro's "PAL" tagging in the case of unlicensed games. ;)
I agree with your approach ;) I just wanted to help to identify any issues (if there is any), specially since it's a huge library, some issues cloud slip through. I hope I'm not being a bother =P
Kreeblah

Post by Kreeblah »

It's been about a year since I looked, so this is new to me, but I'm really glad somebody has done this. I'd actually worked on some tooling in Go for a similar idea (though I also wanted to enable ROM organization with it), but there weren't a lot of sources of NES 2.0 headers around, so I didn't really do much with it after getting it to a working state. This data was incentive to add support for your XML format to it, though, so thank you!

I did, however, notice that you were missing a couple of Battle Kid ROMs in your set. The first one is easy enough to come by, since it's the older demo of Battle Kid 2. archive.org has a copy of it (it's the version listed as being from 2011).

The other one is a version of Battle Kid 1. v2.000, also known as Battle Kid: Dangerous Trap, was released exclusively for the Famicom, and has a number of differences from the v1.100 ROM, including a different mapper, a completely different password system, revamped rooms, changed difficulty levels (including hit points at lower difficulties), etc. I'm not really sure how to get it into your database, though if anybody else needs a header for it, this is what I came up with:

Code: Select all

<game>
		<prgrom size="524288" crc32="FA5D5A4D" sha1="7F142F448BEE7972B5CF4FEEB427A7F19D78F2E3" sum16="6151" />
		<rom size="524288" crc32="FA5D5A4D" sha1="7F142F448BEE7972B5CF4FEEB427A7F19D78F2E3" />
		<chrram size="32768" />
		<pcb mapper="30" submapper="0" mirroring="H" battery="0" />
		<console type="0" region="0" />
		<expansion type="1" />
	</game>
Lodan

Post by Lodan »

@NewRisingSun
Could you share the IPS patches for those hacks:
money scoring bug fix - Final Fight 3
TV System Conversions NTSC - Journey to the West

Thanks!
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

NewRisingSun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:28 am ...
Would you be interested in integrating your iNES header data into No-Intro? I know in the past, some No-Intro users (not active anymore) have been hostile to the the idea of having this data in the database, for no clear reason, but I am not them, and neither is xuom2. Please tell me if you want to talk about it,
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

That was actually my motive for insisting on certain design choices for NES 2.0, so that there would be no game where several headers would be considered correct. Give me time to finish the next update to the XML database; then we'll see where to take it from there.
kmg

Post by kmg »

FYI, The Gorilla Man uses the Partytap and should be expansion type="22".
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

NewRisingSun wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:50 pm That was actually my motive for insisting on certain design choices for NES 2.0, so that there would be no game where several headers would be considered correct. Give me time to finish the next update to the XML database; then we'll see where to take it from there.
Okay, sounds good.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Lodan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am @NewRisingSun
I missed this request before the forums went down.

Note that all I did to Journey to the West was slow down the music so that it plays on 60 Hz as it would on 50 Hz, based on comparing the Micro Genius logo music of that game to 3-in-1 Supergun's.

The bug that was fixed in Final Fight 3 is: "Picking up money no longer resets the score, but adds to it."
Attachments
Journey to the West [music speed for NTSC].ips
(73 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times
Final Fight 3 [money scoring bug fixed].ips
(14 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times
kmg

Post by kmg »

Some corrections:
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (PRG CRC 6E32F3C2) only has prgram.
Neither Kyuukyoku Tiger (PRG CRC 408D72DB) nor Zenbei Pro Basket (PRG CRC E5D49424) have any RAM.
relax

Post by relax »

Star Soldier (Special Version) from GoodNES is believed to be a hack and not the real deal. That's why it was never added to No-Intro.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic. ... 0728#30728
Lodan

Post by Lodan »

NewRisingSun wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:21 pm
Lodan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am @NewRisingSun
I missed this request before the forums went down.

Note that all I did to Journey to the West was slow down the music so that it plays on 60 Hz as it would on 50 Hz, based on comparing the Micro Genius logo music of that game to 3-in-1 Supergun's.

The bug that was fixed in Final Fight 3 is: "Picking up money no longer resets the score, but adds to it."
Thank you very much!
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Finally an update! I have replaced the attached file in the initial post of this thread. Includes the corrections mentioned above, plus many (mostly bootleg) additions.
Lodan

Post by Lodan »

NewRisingSun wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:11 pm Finally an update! I have replaced the attached file in the initial post of this thread. Includes the corrections mentioned above, plus many (mostly bootleg) additions.
I'm very happy to see such amazing update, thanks for your hard work!

I have a question about the "<!-- Homebrew\Translations\English\Holy Diver [Monaco, MottZilla R1].nes -->", in this update it's set to use <expansion type="2" /> which got me confuse since it's a single player game, or there is any special feature that uses that expansion?
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

That is a mistake; the translation does not turn it into a multiplayer game. :wink:
Edit: Corrected and reuploaded.