Trying to dump my first NES game... :)

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

solidhyunkel

Re: Trying to dump my first NES game... :)

Post by solidhyunkel »

lidnariq wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:41 pm Unfortunately, there isn't quite enough information for me to be confident about reverse engineering this board. It might be mapper 62 or mapper 225, or it might be yet another that's similar but different. If you're willing to sit down with a multimeter and measure continuity I can do the rest. (see this thread)

Even more unfortunately, there's a part on these boards that will make it difficult to dump using a Kazzo or INL RetroDumper, and it'll have to be disabled or removed. The cart should work fine afterwards - it just won't go back to the menu when you hit reset. But without the modification, it won't be possible to dump anything but the menu.
Thank you for your analysis! I can assist you with what you need, according to the other post, you will need me to trace the continuity from all the chips, am I right . I just need to grab a mulitmeter. As for the modification needed to the cart, can it be reverted or it will be permanent?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It can be reverted!
isQOdWN-reset-detector-circuit.jpg
isQOdWN-reset-detector-circuit.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 10783 times
To dump the cart, you'll either need to desolder and disconnect one side of the resistor (outlined in purple)
or short out the capacitor (outlined in white).

To revert it ... just undo that.
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

Excellent! I'm glad to know that the cart will be the same afterwards! I'm ordering the multimeter and a soldering iron from Amazon :)
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

OK! I got my tools! I can work on this later today to get this done. I just would like some clarification about what I need to do. Do you need a map with of all chips' pins?. Thanks.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Yeah, a map of all chips' pins is safest. I was going to specify a subset but then I worried about telling you I was confident of something that I wasn't.
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

I got it! (I think). I double checked but I'll recheck anything if you think I got it wrong. I labeled the pins because I thought tracing all the paths would harder to read. https://imgur.com/gallery/pOIuR4L

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Fortunately, this appears to just be mapper 62.

I haven't tried writing a dumping script for INL's dumper, and I don't have one. Would you describe the process of how to set everything up so that I can try to figure out how to write one for you?
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

Awesome thanks! I hope that is a good thing. Do you need me to describe my set up or what?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Just guide me through the steps on the computer, starting after "plugging the cart into the device and the device into the computer". I understood how the Kazzo worked, but this newer tool does everything different and I find myself a bit lost, including "where do I find the scripts" or "how do I run one of them" and so on
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

OK then. This is my set up:

I got this INL RETRO PROGRAMMER DUMPER V2.0N AUG 2013

I googled how to use it and found a guy's tuturial (http://arekuse.net/blog/tech-guides/rom ... mping-nes/) who wrote a GUI, so according to him:
View of the "host" folder:

View of the GUI:

After I press the DUMP button on the GUI a cmd windows appears:

The dumps are saved in here:

Please note that this is what I do because I followed that guide. If you need me to do things differently or to use different software let me know. :)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

See if the lua script inside the attached file works? Put it in the "host/scripts/nes" directory below where you found inlretro.exe

You should have to change the "Cartridge Type" to "scripts.nes.multicart62", PRG-ROM size is 2048, CHR-ROM size is 1024.

If you haven't shorted out the capacitor / lifted the resistor, you should get a dump where only the menu works, just like your current NROM dumps.
Attachments
mapper62.zip
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

Hey. Sorry for taking so long... I'm down to finish this. I followed your instructions but your script doesn't show in the scripts... the list seems to be static or predefined. Is there something I can do to run this directly using a batch file or something?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You might be able to edit "host\scripts\inlretro2.lua" here:

Code: Select all

-- Wrapper for managing NES/Famicom operations.
function nes_exec(process_opts, console_opts)
    local dict = require "scripts.app.dict"
    local nes = require "scripts.app.nes"

-- Defensively filter out any console options that are irrelevant to NES support.
    -- This will matter more when software support exists for other consoles.
    local nes_opts = {
        wram_size_kb = console_opts["wram_size_kb"],
        prg_rom_size_kb = console_opts["prg_rom_size_kb"],
        chr_rom_size_kb = console_opts["chr_rom_size_kb"],
        mirror = nil -- Used by NROM mapper only, "H" or "V".
    }

local mappers = {
           action53_tsop = require "scripts.nes.action53_tsop",
to insert the following line
multicart62 = require "scripts.nes.multicart62"

Maybe that'll help??
solidhyunkel

Post by solidhyunkel »

I've added the line but the interface's drop list doesn't load it... It may be defined somewhere else because not all of those scripts load on that list anyway...

I wonder if I can execute a command directly, something like (I don't know the options hehe):

Code: Select all

inlretro.exe scripts.nes.multicart62.lua super-190-in-1.nes romsize 128, etc...
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It looks like after having made the modification I said above, you should be able to run
inlretro.exe -s scripts/inlretro2.lua -c NES -m multicart62 -x 2048 -y 1024 -d output/multicart.nes ?