FROM BELOW [NES Homebrew] COMPLETE!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

Re: FROM BELOW [NES Homebrew] COMPLETE!

Post by Goose2k »

The FINAL BETA version of Vs. From Below is OUT NOW!

Download the FREE emulator-friendly ROM or Vs. Arcade-Ready EPROMS!

Read whats new, and about how the best players in the world competed to have their scores etched into the silicon of this game FOREVER!

https://mhughson.itch.io/from-below/dev ... -beta-0100

Attachments
nes1_kirby.gif
skiplogic

Post by skiplogic »

Hello! I noticed that if you're quick you can hard drop several pieces at the start of the game before gravity activates. If that's intentional, no worries, but it's not what I would expect to happen, since pushing down on the first piece in all retro tetris variants will activate gravity at the start of a game.

Love the game, great work!

-skip
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

skiplogic wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 pm I noticed that if you're quick you can hard drop several pieces at the start of the game before gravity activates. If that's intentional, no worries, but it's not what I would expect to happen, since pushing down on the first piece in all retro tetris variants will activate gravity at the start of a game.
It is actually intentionall. It's pretty minor, but it's meant to add a little bit of "meta game" to the start of a round: "how many pieces can I drop before things kick into gear".

Thanks for reaching out!
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

FROM BELOW POCKET

From Below is coming to the Game Boy!

For the last few months I've been working on a "little" side project: porting From Below from the NES to the Game Boy. I'm using GBDK and ZGB, two Game Boy libraries written in C that allow me to reused a lot of the code I wrote for the NES on the Game Boy.
449372811_frombelow_mp-Copy.jpg.a491401b944ee9cce6a9cbefab786f10.jpg

Multiplayer

2-Players can go head-to-head in the all new Versus mode. Connect two systems together with the Nintendo Game Link Cable, and play any of the 3 modes. 

Clearing lines sends "garbage blocks" to the other player, while the Kraken continues it's onslaught from below.

Multiplayer requires 2 carts to play, but will work with flashcarts like the EverDrive, and supports play between different types of systems. 

For example one player can be on a Game Boy Color while a second player is connected from the Super Game Boy 2.
frombelow_systems.png.c33232419395f493ae9985ffbab46846.png

All Systems Go

From Below Pocket supports all Game Boy platforms on one "DX" cart: Original/Pocket, Game Boy Color, and even Super Game Boy. 

All versions have remastered graphics to take full advantage of the change from NES to Game Boy.

The Game Boy Color version is in full color, and the Super Game Boy version decked out with a custom palette and custom border. 

This combination of features is something not often seen even in the license era.

Release Date

The release date has not yet been decided, but the game is very close to completion, with a beta likely starting in Spring 2022 and hopefully will see a Summer 2022 release.

Currently I'm is considering a re-release of the NES version of From Below to go along with this new version.
Attachments
60ebe84a696216238e3e3fcf34876665.gif
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

It took a little longer than expected, but From Below Pocket is now on sale!

https://www.frombelowgame.com/

To celebrate, From Below for the NES is available again as a physical cart for the next month! If you missed out the first time, this is your chance!