SNES Doom Source Released! Now What?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Oziphantom

Re: SNES Doom Source Released! Now What?

Post by Oziphantom »

Sure games do use a mouse, some even require a mouse, playing C&C or Warcarft without one would be impossible, or Amiga ports such as Populous for example, impossible. As they were designed for the Amiga of which the Mouse is a requirement to use, and hence it ships with. But for DOS as a whole, very optional.
Windows 3.0 which was the major push for Windows will have put a Mouse on the PC roadmap, and it launched in 1990. With 3.1 of 1992 being the bigger release.

From looking at your link there are 991 games from 81-1992 (inclusive) and Moby has 4395 games in its database for DOS in the same time period. 991/4395 = ~22.5% of games on DOS into the lead up to Doom "allowed you to use a mouse", not even required one, just you could use one.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:45 pm
Pokun wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:18 pm Not for me. Sensitivity is not the problem with the mouse, I think the biggest problem is that it's used with the right hand. A thumbstick is probably even less precise than a mouse but I still perform better in Goldeneye 007 since I can at least aim with my left hand which is much better at precision work.
Oh you're left-handed?
Isn't it possible for you to put the mouse on the left and your keyboard on the right, though? And perhaps flip the buttons so that you'd use IJKL instead of WASD, and right click to shoot instead of left click?
Yes I'm left-handed like Link (well, old Link). My first experience with a mouse was actually with Mario Paint (which must have been late 1992 around the launch of that game) and I did use it with my left hand back then, and I saw no need to flip the mouse buttons as I didn't have any concept of what's normal for mice, it was a totally new type of input device for me that I just accepted as is (besides Mario Paint doesn't have a button flipping option). As computer mice became the norm, I got tired of switching the mouse to the left side every time a right-handed user (my papa) had used the computer previously, and just used it with my right hand instead. Eventually I got so used to it that using a mouse with my left hand feels very awkward, and I still use mice with my right hand today. Back then mice where often symmetric and not seldom with square edges, but nowadays mice are almost always ergonomically formed for the right hand, so I wonder if there are many left-handed users who actually use mice with their left hands.

Besides I think moving the player-character with my right hand is awkward as the norm is to use the left hand on all joypads and arcade control panels. The exception is computer keyboards that usually have the arrow keys (and numpad) on the right, and is also used a lot by games (I greatly prefer a WASD setup for this reason). PC keyboards are of course designed with gaming as a secondary thing and derives from typewriters rather than from arcade cabinets.
I want to both move and aim with the left hand which games like Goldeneye 007 does. With motion controls like the Switch Controller Pro (or even the 3DS) you hold the controller with both hands and therefore has much more control of the aiming no matter if you are left- or right-handed. The only problem with it is that you may kind of need to turn away from the TV (or with a 3DS on the train you might knock real people down as you turn around waving your arms).

Modern PC joypads such as the 8BitDo Pro 2 (which I find to be fantastic as a general-use USB/bluetooth joypad BTW) also has the accelerometer and gyro sensor, so I suppose they would work nicely for computer FPS games.

Yeah ball mice were the norm many years after the WASD+mouse control type became common, so I don't think that's related. The main problem with ball mice as I see it is that they need more cleaning and care, though I suppose modern optical mice also performs much better. The only ball mouse I still have is one for my MSX (not compatible with IBM-PC without an adapter).
Edit: Ah right, I also have the SNES Mouse that came with Mario Paint, the PC-Engine mouse and the PS1 mouse which are all ball mice. They where all used by quite a few nice games for their respective system.
Last edited by Pokun on Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:02 am Doom was designed for 8/6/2/4 movement but also worked on arrow keys. You could even put a little joystick on the 8/6/2/4 keys. WASD wasn't until you had mouse as default, because now your left hand has to move as your right hand is looking.
Well I didn't say it was designed for WASD specifically, just designed for keyboard+mouse in general. You can play it with WASD, but Doom was simply designed for keyboard+mouse. Though the default configuration of the game isn't necessarily the ideal configuration for most people now, you could change it to be a better configuration if you wanted.
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:02 am While before it was more common to put movement on primary hand and other actions on secondary hand. As Doom doesn't have looking or aiming there is little benefit to using a mouse to play it, worse you have to keep going in a direction and run out of mouse pad all the time as its not "spring look either".
Looking or aiming? You mean looking up and down? Because you can look left and right, just not up and down.

To be fair, Doom has an autoaim system that automatically aims up and down for you because you can't. However, it's not perfect, it has its issues at times, and since you can't control it, you have to be careful with rockets. Plus there's also horizontal autoaim for visible projectiles, which can also be a problem at times.

There's still an advantage to using a mouse when looking left or right, even when you can't look up or down, because you can turn at multiple different speeds instead of just 2 different speeds. This benefit is too major to just be 'little'. I used to play Doom keyboard-only, and I sucked more than I do now, playing Doom with a mouse+keyboard. Me starting to use a mouse even with no looking up or down made me much more skilled.
I can't guarantee everyone is going to have the same experience, though.

Yeah, running out of mouse pad is a problem with mice in general. I usually just lift my mouse and move it the opposite direction, and I'm so used to doing so. I can understand people who aren't, though, at least not in an action game. I haven't used ball mice since the 2000s, so I don't remember if the ball would fall out if I lifted the mouse up.
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:02 am Ball mice weren't common, they were optional extras for DOS, mice are not much use in DOS. But also Ball mice where the only mice, for what 6~7 years after Doom came out.
I only meant common in comparison to other kinds of mice, just so that people don't go 'well ackhkuhkuhkually' and talk about early laser/optical mice (yes, they existed back then) as if everyone had one.

Some people didn't see a need for mice at all when playing DOS games including Doom, but perhaps word of mouth also spread to them about the issues with ball mice.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Heh it seems most south paws took the same route as I did. I definitely agree that doing any kind of freehand drawing with a mouse works as badly as using a pen with my right hand (so Mario Paint was a pretty bad idea haha). But that's what Wacom-style pen tablets are for.

Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am I don't remember if the ball would fall out if I lifted the mouse up.
They don't fall out, there is a ring that needs to be removed to get the ball out when you want to clean the ball and the rollers inside.
Perhaps some PC trackballs do fall out if you turn them upside down, I don't know. Gaming trackballs used in arcade machines doesn't fall out even if you remove the whole module and turn it upside down AFAIK, you must take it apart.

Mice became popular because Apple, Amiga and Windows computers, that required a mouse, became popular, not because people saw that it was a good input device for games. It just joined keyboards as one of the standard input devices in games since it was something all users had by default for these systems and things like number of buttons were standardized for each computer. Then computer games started to adapt with the mouse in mind, just like console games were primarily made with the standard joypad in mind.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but before becoming a mainstream input device, the mouse was a more obscure peripheral mainly used for things like graphic editing (this was a bit before my time with computers but I can tell from reading computer magazines from the '80s). I think it was Apple that popularized the mouse as a way to get more "normal" people to buy computers with a people-friendly analog input device instead of the intimidating keyboard with too many scary buttons.

Joysticks on PCs probably fell in popularity because they started to be very game-specific, like flight sticks or steering wheels and not standard, every maker made their own variant with more game-specific features. While games started to demand more buttons which increased the need for standardized input devices (the old standard ATARI-style joysticks only had one or two buttons, not enough for the more demanding games).
Microsoft managed to change this lately with their Xinput as it requires a joypad to be designed a certain way based on the Xbox 360 controller, and thus standardizing a joypad for Windows computers, and every other game now has a default mapping for it. Dinput is still needed for things that needs more than what the Xbox 360 controller offers though.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Pokun wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:53 pm Mice became popular because Apple, Amiga and Windows computers, that required a mouse, became popular, not because people saw that it was a good input device for games. It just joined keyboards as one of the standard input devices in games since it was something all users had by default for these systems and things like number of buttons were standardized for each computer. Then computer games started to adapt with the mouse in mind, just like console games were primarily made with the standard joypad in mind.
I know, but even back in 1993, the mouse was already standard for IBM compatibles because 16-bit Windows already existed (mostly for business) by the time Doom was developed. Even if Doom itself wasn't initially for Windows 3.1, the same machines could generally run both Windows 3.1 and DOS, and thus games would have more reason to utilise mice.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

As fas as I remember, while the mouse was standard bitd, it's mainly used to navigate menus, drag and drop, etc., but not meant for action games. I also never used a mouse for Doom and Doom II and I think games at the time didn't have the mouse look feature yet (if you remember playing them with a mouse, you're probably playing with a modern engine such as GZDoom) and WASD wasn't a thing.

FPS games gave me headache and after realising that I didn't even enjoy them I quited playing them completely (I haven't even tried Quake) and all I remembered was they're keyboard only (I think I used keyboard only for those look up/down, etc. in Duke Nukem 3D, maybe System Shock did use a combination of mouse and keyboard but the control was so complicated that I couldn't get into the game). Years later I tried the tiny FPS game just out of curiosity and found that WASD and mouse look suddenly became a thing, having myself keeping a distance to the genre as far as possible for years.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Gilbert wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:32 pm I also never used a mouse for Doom and Doom II and I think games at the time didn't have the mouse look feature yet (if you remember playing them with a mouse, you're probably playing with a modern engine such as GZDoom) and WASD wasn't a thing.
Well, I keep clarifying again and again, the original vanilla Doom does support the mouse in gameplay, but you still can't look up or down. You can turn left or right with the mouse, and you can move forwards and backwards with the mouse(yes, I know it's annoying).

I can literally go on DOSBox and configure the original Doom EXEs to play with a WASD control scheme and use the mouse in the setup EXE that comes with the game.

But yeah, a lot of people just played using a keyboard, and WASD wasn't really a known configuration when Doom originally came out.

Plenty of games never had a use for a mouse, and plenty of games don't support a mouse at all. Some games like Heretic, Hexen and Strife only support looking up and down with the keyboard, but the mouse can be used for turning and moving forwards and backwards.
Gilbert wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:32 pm (I think I used keyboard only for those look up/down, etc. in Duke Nukem 3D, maybe System Shock did use a combination of mouse and keyboard but the control was so complicated that I couldn't get into the game).
Duke Nukem 3D actually supports looking up and down with the mouse in addition to turning left and right. You just have to enable it with the U key in-game.

Yes, I'm talking about the original DOS Duke Nukem 3D. The original supports mouselook.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:56 pm Well, I keep clarifying again and again, the original vanilla Doom does support the mouse in gameplay, but you still can't look up or down. You can turn left or right with the mouse, and you can move forwards and backwards with the mouse(yes, I know it's annoying).
Eh. OKay. I don't doubt the original Doom had a mouse control feature, but as you mentioned it's the movement thing, not the modern "look" feature. Your previous post mentioned you can use the mouse to look left and right, which was a bit confusing. In modern "mouse look" game, I think look is not the same as the movement direction, so you can "look" at the right side (like turning your head) but move straight forward. In the original Doom it's not the case. You walk towards whatever direction you are facing (unless you strife horizontally). It just didn't have a look feature. Also, it's just a 2-D game, as stuff(wall, floor, enemies, etc.) appearing on different heights was just an illusion, so looking up and down was just useless. Movement with a mouse just didn't work for me at least. The 3-D Tex Murphy games used the mouse to look, turn and walk and you're unable to use the keyboard to do so, which was a disaster.
I can literally go on DOSBox and configure the original Doom EXEs to play with a WASD control scheme and use the mouse in the setup EXE that comes with the game.
(Correctly me if I'm wrong)I think you could just reconfigure the keys so WASD was of course possible, but it was not a standard setting that normal players could select out of the box.
Duke Nukem 3D actually supports looking up and down with the mouse in addition to turning left and right. You just have to enable it with the U key in-game.

Yes, I'm talking about the original DOS Duke Nukem 3D. The original supports mouselook.
Yeah. It's possibly the case, but mouse still sucked at the time. I think I later used a joystick with an analog hat for that which should be better (or not, as most of these sticks weren't worth it if you think of them now) but anyway I quited playing FPS altogether before I got any better in these games anyway.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:02 am Doom was designed for 8/6/2/4 movement but also worked on arrow keys. You could even put a little joystick on the 8/6/2/4 keys. WASD wasn't until you had mouse as default, because now your left hand has to move as your right hand is looking.
Well I didn't say it was designed for WASD specifically, just designed for keyboard+mouse in general. You can play it with WASD, but Doom was simply designed for keyboard+mouse. Though the default configuration of the game isn't necessarily the ideal configuration for most people now, you could change it to be a better configuration if you wanted.
And I'm saying it wasn't designed for keyboard+mouse it was designed for keyboard, it also supports mouse and joystick, but that is not the input the game was designed around. In the same way that Medevil on the PS1 was designed around the analogue stick on the PS1 controller, while Croc was designed for the D-Pad, you can use the analogue stick on Croc but it just maps to the D-Pad for you. TR3 supports analogue but being based upon TR2 which was designed for the PS 1 with D-Pad it was designed around the D-Pad.
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:02 am While before it was more common to put movement on primary hand and other actions on secondary hand. As Doom doesn't have looking or aiming there is little benefit to using a mouse to play it, worse you have to keep going in a direction and run out of mouse pad all the time as its not "spring look either".
Looking or aiming? You mean looking up and down? Because you can look left and right, just not up and down.
Looking is where the head is not facing the direction of the body. You can't look in Doom, you turn, and you can only shoot things are are in front of you, not things you are looking at. While in a modern shooter you can move in a different direction to the one you are looking at where both angles are free.
Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am To be fair, Doom has an autoaim system that automatically aims up and down for you because you can't. However, it's not perfect, it has its issues at times, and since you can't control it, you have to be careful with rockets. Plus there's also horizontal autoaim for visible projectiles, which can also be a problem at times.

There's still an advantage to using a mouse when looking left or right, even when you can't look up or down, because you can turn at multiple different speeds instead of just 2 different speeds. This benefit is too major to just be 'little'. I used to play Doom keyboard-only, and I sucked more than I do now, playing Doom with a mouse+keyboard. Me starting to use a mouse even with no looking up or down made me much more skilled.
I can't guarantee everyone is going to have the same experience, though.

Yeah, running out of mouse pad is a problem with mice in general. I usually just lift my mouse and move it the opposite direction, and I'm so used to doing so. I can understand people who aren't, though, at least not in an action game. I haven't used ball mice since the 2000s, so I don't remember if the ball would fall out if I lifted the mouse up.
Move and lift is a very common thing you have to do. You also have to manage ball velocity, as you slide to the side fast and lift the ball will keep spinning when you lift. Going to other way you first need to defeat the balls rotation speed and when you want to move to a different vector you curve roll to it. Guy at Sony was still using a ball mouse in 2008, every time you sat at his desk to help him with something you would immediately feel it felt "wrong" and then after a minute or two it would twig, its a ball mouse...
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:02 am Ball mice weren't common, they were optional extras for DOS, mice are not much use in DOS. But also Ball mice where the only mice, for what 6~7 years after Doom came out.
I only meant common in comparison to other kinds of mice, just so that people don't go 'well ackhkuhkuhkually' and talk about early laser/optical mice (yes, they existed back then) as if everyone had one.

Some people didn't see a need for mice at all when playing DOS games including Doom, but perhaps word of mouth also spread to them about the issues with ball mice.
Back in the age were keyboard warriors meant something else.

Post by 93143 »

Well, I did not make it through Inferno without dying.

Pro Tip #1: Do not try to run under crushers that are poised at head height.

Pro Tip #2: If you're low on ammunition, and you have to engage in a free-ranging fight followed by a close-quarters fight, maybe use up your rockets first.

Speaking of rockets, they're noticeably weaker than in the SNES version, and/or the Cyberdemon has more health. The original Pro Tip meme is really not as silly as it sounds.

Also, Thy Flesh Consumed is not a game. It's a kaizo hack. Against Thee Wickedly is really well named, and it's not even the worst of the bunch...

I hadn't realized how many textures the SNES version omitted. I'm also not entirely clear on why the RAM requirement for The Ultimate Doom is allegedly still 4 MB despite the IWAD being close to triple that. Is it all level data?
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:10 pm Looking is where the head is not facing the direction of the body. You can't look in Doom, you turn, and you can only shoot things are are in front of you, not things you are looking at. While in a modern shooter you can move in a different direction to the one you are looking at where both angles are free.
You can absolutely move in a different direction than the one you're looking in Doom. That's why there are dedicated strafe buttons. If you like, you can map WASD to move forward/back and strafe left/right, and rotate with the mouse. If your point is that Doomguy is facing the direction he's looking and shooting rather than the direction he's running, I think that's splitting hairs because it has no gameplay relevance.

Or do modern games use tank controls, where the direction of motion obtained by pressing (say) W is uncoupled from the direction you're looking? Because that doesn't sound right at all...

Also, I feel like I'm accumulating some sort of weight of sin every time I use the word "strafe" as if it means running sideways. "Strafe" has only one English definition: "to rake with fire at close range and especially with machine-gun fire from low-flying aircraft" (cf. Merriam-Webster). It's German for "punishment", and it migrated to English during WWI. Running sideways is only strafing if you have a rapid-fire gun selected and the fire button pressed.
SlayerOfSmurfs

Post by SlayerOfSmurfs »

Doom was absolutely designed for use with the mouse. Romero himself has said so, and the attract demos that play in the original version are recorded by a player using the mouse (probably Romero, actually). The manual even recommends using the mouse for advanced play. I'm not sure where the idea that Doom is designed only for keyboard play comes from, but it's not true.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Gilbert wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:09 pm Your previous post mentioned you can use the mouse to look left and right, which was a bit confusing. In modern "mouse look" game, I think look is not the same as the movement direction, so you can "look" at the right side (like turning your head) but move straight forward.

Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:10 pm Looking is where the head is not facing the direction of the body. You can't look in Doom, you turn, and you can only shoot things are are in front of you, not things you are looking at. While in a modern shooter you can move in a different direction to the one you are looking at where both angles are free.
I don't remember modern games being like that where you look with the mouse but don't go the direction your mouse is facing. I haven't played a lot of modern games, but the few I've played aren't like that.

I don't really make a distinction between looking left and right and turning left and right, because I'm way too used to Doom to really consider any games that do make a distinction.
Gilbert wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:09 pm Also, it's just a 2-D game, as stuff(wall, floor, enemies, etc.) appearing on different heights was just an illusion, so looking up and down was just useless. Movement with a mouse just didn't work for me at least. The 3-D Tex Murphy games used the mouse to look, turn and walk and you're unable to use the keyboard to do so, which was a disaster.
Okay, there's some misconceptions here. Doom does have 3 positions for every sprite, this is not an illusion.

A projectile can go over your head without hitting you, this would require a way to determine height in addition to the X and Y co-ordinates.

Sure, solid sprites can't go over each other, but the game is still tracking their Z co-ordinate as well as their X and Y. It's just limited.

What IS 2D is the map format. It's just a 2D vector floor plan with height values for the floor and ceiling as well as other values like brightness and sector effect(for things like blinking lights and damaging floors and marking secrets).

If you still aren't sure, the Linux version of Doom's source code can be found here. It's a lot of code to look through, though.
Gilbert wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:09 pm
(Correctly me if I'm wrong)I think you could just reconfigure the keys so WASD was of course possible, but it was not a standard setting that normal players could select out of the box.
Yeah, I wasn't saying it was standard.
Oziphantom wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:10 pm And I'm saying it wasn't designed for keyboard+mouse it was designed for keyboard, it also supports mouse and joystick, but that is not the input the game was designed around. In the same way that Medevil on the PS1 was designed around the analogue stick on the PS1 controller, while Croc was designed for the D-Pad, you can use the analogue stick on Croc but it just maps to the D-Pad for you. TR3 supports analogue but being based upon TR2 which was designed for the PS 1 with D-Pad it was designed around the D-Pad.
The official demos of Doom that actually play before you even start the game have quick turning that just isn't possible with just a keyboard.

That same video also shows clips from 1993 of John Romero playing deathmatch, which makes similar movements that can't be done with only a keyboard.

John Romero himself even tweeted that Doom was designed for keyboard+mouse.

Still, most people who played Doom used only a keyboard back when it came out, but that doesn't really imply Doom was designed for it as much as it implies people were starting to get used to what works and what doesn't when playing FPSes.
Last edited by Nikku4211 on Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

What is the default mapping for the original Doom? I suppose it's all-keyboard?

Gilbert wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:09 pm it's the movement thing, not the modern "look" feature. Your previous post mentioned you can use the mouse to look left and right, which was a bit confusing. In modern "mouse look" game, I think look is not the same as the movement direction, so you can "look" at the right side (like turning your head) but move straight forward. In the original Doom it's not the case. You walk towards whatever direction you are facing (unless you strife horizontally). It just didn't have a look feature.
Huh? Since when did this change happen? Is this the norm with modern FPS games? Last time I played a computer FPS the mouse were used to look up/down and turn left/right. I guess it was probably the late '90s though.
In that case how do you turn left/right if the mouse is just used to turn the head/aim? Is A and D (WASD keys) no longer used for strafing?

93143 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:34 am Also, I feel like I'm accumulating some sort of weight of sin every time I use the word "strafe" as if it means running sideways. "Strafe" has only one English definition: "to rake with fire at close range and especially with machine-gun fire from low-flying aircraft" (cf. Merriam-Webster). It's German for "punishment", and it migrated to English during WWI. Running sideways is only strafing if you have a rapid-fire gun selected and the fire button pressed.
Hehe well it became a known FPS term for crab-walking, although it originally probably really implied doing it while sweeping with a machine-gun.
I remember there was this bow technique in the MMORPG Ragnarök Online called Double Strafe which just duplicates the arrow into two shots in one (so no actual sweeping is done unlike what the name implies). I think the skill name was stolen from Diablo 2 where there is a rapid-fire bow technique (or even crossbow technique!) called Strafe which is implying that the archer is moving and shooting many arrows in a very short period of time, effectively sweeping an area with arrows. The Ragnarök Online makers probably didn't know the original meaning of "strafe" so it just become a double shot technique in their game. I thought it was a neat name on a quick-shooting archer technique in an RPG anyway.

Post by 93143 »

Pokun wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:33 pmWhat is the default mapping for the original Doom? I suppose it's all-keyboard?
The default control scheme puts forward/back movement and turning on the arrow keys and mouse (and 8462 on the numpad), and the middle mouse button moves you forward. Run is RShift, "strafing" is , and . (or you can hold Alt or the right mouse button, which converts all turning controls to strafing), fire is Ctrl or left mouse, and use/open is the spacebar or double-click right mouse.

Yes, moving the mouse up and down causes you to move forward and backward.

There's a setup program where you can make changes to this mapping. You can also use keyboard+joystick instead of keyboard+mouse, with up to four buttons mapped (so, not enough for a SNES pad...), and there's a keyboard-only option that seems to have no reason to exist because you can still map everything to the keyboard even with the mouse in the mix. I guess if your mouse responds to the wobbling of your rickety computer table, or your brother keeps poking it while you're sniping, or something like that, it would be convenient to not have to unplug it every time you want to play Doom...