Disch has passed away

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Disch has passed away

Post by koitsu »

https://twitter.com/Lenophail/status/12 ... 3127534593
https://twitter.com/Lenophail/status/12 ... 4365336576

Disch was one of the more prominent nesdev/romhacking folks. He wasn't just known here on the forum for helping people out with miscellaneous NES-related questions, especially audio, but for his mapper documentation (and here) involving both reverse engineering and compilation of existing info. He was well-known for Notso Fatso, one of the mid-generation Winamp NSF players that brought us even closer to accurate audio emulation, including for the FDS. And he was also the author of the NSFe file format. On the romhacking front, he was known as one of "the" people to go to for Final Fantasy (1/2/5/6)-related reverse engineering information. You can visit his website, Slick Productions, for more information.

I don't know the circumstances of his passing, but he will not be forgotten, and will be missed greatly.
Banshaku

Re: Disch has passed away

Post by Banshaku »

Sad new today. I remember "the frame and Nmis" document he made. Feels like yesterday.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Was really sad to hear that.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Really sad news. I just checked, that he last visited here since January of 2018. Didn't notice it has been that long. :cry:
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That's sad to hear. I checked on the old forum, and he had registered in 2003. He had helped many people here over the years.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

Sad to hear of this. Didn't communicate much with Disch myself, but used Notso Fatso quite a bit back in the day, and also remember him being one of the really helpful people on this forum, always taking time to patiently break down explanations for people's benefit.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

This is extremely sad news, he was so awesome. It's really a shock to learn that a major member of both the Nesdev community and Romhacking community passes away, we don't know his age, most likely he was way too young for that.

It's also the first time I can say I hear somebody I only knew anonymously through internet dies, and that I'm really sad because I was attached to him. Thanks for the info koitsu, without you we might just as well not have noticed his disappearance or just thought he moved to other things and stopped being interested in this stuff.

This also brings the question to how to manage internet accounts of dead people and how to continue the tradition of Nesdev in the long run once the people who brought the scene up are no longer there.

Thank you very much Disch for all you did for our community. You will be remembered.
I just checked, that he last visited here since January of 2018. Didn't notice it has been that long.
He was active on RHDN until 2 months ago.

PS : What is this thread doing in NESemdev ? Should probably go somewhere else.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Disch was a monumental help when I was learning 6502, and when I was first learning C++ almost 15 years ago. He's also the reason I use SDL, and basically jump-started a personal project I've been working on for nearly a decade (on and off). I can't believe he's gone.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I didn't know him or have ever talked to him, but I don't think there are many people here that doesn't know of his name or his work. I often recommend the "Frame and NMI" document to newbies as I learned many essential things from it myself when I started out.

Rest in peace Disch.
coto

Post by coto »

It's very sad when users go. Life is definitely not fair, but that's why I also support having great tools like this forum, where people decide to make a hobbyist thing part of a culture, a culture that does not destroy, but creates and gives birth to incredible stuff, community included. My condolences to the family, but i'm sure he gave purpose to more than 1 person.

I remember NotSo Fatso. Thank you for your cooperation, you will not be forgotten Disch.

Coto.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Damn :cry:
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Our community has been enriched by his contributions. He will be missed.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

He also made a Final Fantasy level editor, and a disassembly.

https://www.romhacking.net/documents/401/

I chatted with him lots of times. Good guy.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
strat

Post by strat »

Sorry to hear that and prayers to his friends and family.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

My condolences.