Atari 2600 Miniature Golf

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Paulous

Atari 2600 Miniature Golf

Post by Paulous »

I don't suppose there are many SNES games quite like this (thank goodness) but it was nostalgic for me and baby steps in learning to program the SNES again.

The original instructions can be found here https://www.atariage.com/manual_thumbs. ... eID=MANUAL

I have mapped:

start = game reset
select = game select
any of A/B/X/Y = joystick trigger
controller 1 top left/right = left difficulty switch
controller 2 top left/right = right difficulty switch
Attachments
minigolf.smc
(32 KiB) Downloaded 240 times

Re: Atari 2600 Miniature Golf

Post by 93143 »

I wondered what this was doing in the SNESdev section. Neat.

I notice you say "again". When were you last programming the SNES?
Paulous

Post by Paulous »

93143 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 am I wondered what this was doing in the SNESdev section. Neat.

Back in the 90s I wrote a couple of homebrews (Astrohawk and Rockfall) using a Super Magicom and my own tools. I lost interest when everything started going 3D but about 6 or 7 years ago I started programming the Atari 8-bit again and now feel like moving on to something different.
d4s

Post by d4s »

Paulous wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:12 am
93143 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 am I wondered what this was doing in the SNESdev section. Neat.

Back in the 90s I wrote a couple of homebrews (Astrohawk and Rockfall) using a Super Magicom and my own tools. I lost interest when everything started going 3D but about 6 or 7 years ago I started programming the Atari 8-bit again and now feel like moving on to something different.
So you're Paul Lay?
Great, I always thought rockfall was pretty impressive, welcome back!
Paulous

Post by Paulous »

d4s wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am
Paulous wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:12 am

So you're Paul Lay?
Great, I always thought rockfall was pretty impressive, welcome back!
Yes that's me and thanks. It will be interesting to see how much difference emulators and better tools make, although I still used my old SPC assembler via DosBox for minigolf (I used ca65 for the 65c816 code as I'd been using that on the Atari).
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

Any chance you would port the 2600 titles "Shooting Arcade" or "Sentinel" to the SNES for use with the SuperScope? That would be amazing. I don't know if you also work with anything from the Atari 7800 machine but "Alien Brigade" or the 7800 version of "Sentinel" would be awesome on the SNES using the Super Scope too :) Any or all using the Justifier would be nice as well. Any flavor of light gun didn't get much love on the SNES so I'm sure there are folks that would like something "new" to play. A lot of SNES gamers where just not around during the 2600 and 7800 days so these games would be brand new to most of them as well.
calima

Post by calima »

Sidetrack: engaged.

Super Scope still needs a CRT and eats batteries, plus it wasn't very ergonomic. We (MegaCat) considered making adapters for NES zappers, since the Hyperkin gun was supposed to work with LCDs. That would enable zapping on a SNES, on LCDs, without batteries, but with the same blinking as NES. Alas, Hyperkin's gun was too bad a quality, so idea: canned. Not worth it for just CRTs.
Nokia3310

Post by Nokia3310 »

I think this SNES port deserves more love. Sure, it's simple but it's faithful to what the original Atari game was and it's fun. It feels nostalgic to me because it plays a lot like a Pong clone console that we had when I was a kid, only it's a little more advanced and utilises the bouncing ball mechanics in a different way.

I was surprised to find that this wasn't particularly well recieved in 1978. It seems people wanted a better representation of miniature golf (we call it crazy golf in England). Maybe if Happy Gilmour already existed, people could imagine placing the pointer further behind the ball as a golfer taking a run up to hit it harder.

Anyway, this is enjoyable as a one or two player game. A bit of simple fun, not to be taken too seriously but also kind of addictive. Definitely an under appreciated Atari game.