[demo] SNES Sonic

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Pokun
Posts: 2293
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 am
Location: Hokkaido, Japan

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Pokun »

I haven't followed any of Doug's guides from start to finish but I've looked into this one a bit before and I think it seems to be fine, other then the aesthetics. On the other hand Nerdy Nights is also pretty ugly using the back of Mario's head as the ball when demonstrating how to make Pong, despite a more appropriate ball graphics was included in the ripped SMB CHR that were used in the guide. I drew my own Pong graphics (which takes like 1 minute for anyone really) back in the day when I used that guide to learn because I couldn't stand this madness (and because I wanted to try using my own graphics).
TheBrock9867
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 04, 2022 5:12 am

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by TheBrock9867 »

I can't wait to see this project through, this is one of the best if not the best thing to happen in the 2020s period.

I hope the project is going well cause I have tested it on RetroArch from my PC as well as my New Nintendo 2DS XL, and it works perfectly.

Hope to see some more news soon.
User avatar
Nikku4211
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Contact:

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Nikku4211 »

I mean, Tiago did say he didn't intend on porting the full Sonic game, and that this was just to test his engine, which he plans to use for a custom Sonic-like game with unspecified Donkey Kong Country-like elements.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
iNCEPTIONAL

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Nikku4211 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 am I mean, Tiago did say he didn't intend on porting the full Sonic game, and that this was just to test his engine, which he plans to use for a custom Sonic-like game with unspecified Donkey Kong Country-like elements.
Do you think he's still working on that game, and is it even for the SNES?
User avatar
Nikku4211
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Contact:

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Nikku4211 »

No clue, why not ask Tiago?
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
iNCEPTIONAL

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Nikku4211 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:28 pm No clue, why not ask Tiago?
Where?
User avatar
Nikku4211
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Contact:

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Nikku4211 »

Here. Tiago's in this thread, in a previous page.

You can also search 'TiagoSC' in these forums.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
TiagoSC
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by TiagoSC »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:01 pm
Nikku4211 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 am I mean, Tiago did say he didn't intend on porting the full Sonic game, and that this was just to test his engine, which he plans to use for a custom Sonic-like game with unspecified Donkey Kong Country-like elements.
Do you think he's still working on that game, and is it even for the SNES?
I'm not porting the complete Sonic to the SNES because the snes sprite limits really complicate porting 1:1, as I use 8x8/16x16 sprites to maximize the 512 sprite tiles, it would be difficult to make the large objects of the next stages.

I plan to make a game of my own in the style of SONIC, as it's hard to get people to make the assets, I'm learning to make them myself, it will take time, but I intend to make it for PSX/Saturn and maybe a port/version for the SNES.

Here's a demo I made of the Sonic engine running on PSX:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 353#p21353

Image

video:
https://youtu.be/M4VZfUWhM3s?t=6
iNCEPTIONAL

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

TiagoSC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:43 am
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:01 pm
Nikku4211 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 am I mean, Tiago did say he didn't intend on porting the full Sonic game, and that this was just to test his engine, which he plans to use for a custom Sonic-like game with unspecified Donkey Kong Country-like elements.
Do you think he's still working on that game, and is it even for the SNES?
I'm not porting the complete Sonic to the SNES because the snes sprite limits really complicate porting 1:1, as I use 8x8/16x16 sprites to maximize the 512 sprite tiles, it would be difficult to make the large objects of the next stages.

I plan to make a game of my own in the style of SONIC, as it's hard to get people to make the assets, I'm learning to make them myself, it will take time, but I intend to make it for PSX/Saturn and maybe a port/version for the SNES.

Here's a demo I made of the Sonic engine running on PSX:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 353#p21353

Image

video:
https://youtu.be/M4VZfUWhM3s?t=6
That's a very cool version on PSX. Nice touch with the semi-transparent water and wavy reflection.

I'm curious, given that regular Sonic uses two background layers along with sprites in some places for the backgrounds, did you still have BG3 spare on the SNES version, such that you could have used it for a similar semi-transparent water effect as seen in your PSX version if you wanted to?

I really hope you do bring your new game to SNES. SNES needs some more indie love in 2022, especially at the level of quality and polish that you're obviously able to achieve. I can only imagine what you could do there.
User avatar
Nikku4211
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Contact:

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Nikku4211 »

TiagoSC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:43 am I'm not porting the complete Sonic to the SNES because the snes sprite limits really complicate porting 1:1, as I use 8x8/16x16 sprites to maximize the 512 sprite tiles, it would be difficult to make the large objects of the next stages.

I plan to make a game of my own in the style of SONIC, as it's hard to get people to make the assets, I'm learning to make them myself, it will take time, but I intend to make it for PSX/Saturn and maybe a port/version for the SNES.
The PS1 also needs some serious indie love too, because it also receives very little homebrew.

So be it PS1 or SNES, good luck on your game.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
TiagoSC
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by TiagoSC »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:12 am
TiagoSC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:43 am I'm not porting the complete Sonic to the SNES because the snes sprite limits really complicate porting 1:1, as I use 8x8/16x16 sprites to maximize the 512 sprite tiles, it would be difficult to make the large objects of the next stages.

I plan to make a game of my own in the style of SONIC, as it's hard to get people to make the assets, I'm learning to make them myself, it will take time, but I intend to make it for PSX/Saturn and maybe a port/version for the SNES.
The PS1 also needs some serious indie love too, because it also receives very little homebrew.

So be it PS1 or SNES, good luck on your game.
It's pretty cool to program the psx.
My project is aimed at psx and saturn specs and the snes version will be adapted as needed
TiagoSC
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by TiagoSC »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:33 am
TiagoSC wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:43 am
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Do you think he's still working on that game, and is it even for the SNES?
I'm not porting the complete Sonic to the SNES because the snes sprite limits really complicate porting 1:1, as I use 8x8/16x16 sprites to maximize the 512 sprite tiles, it would be difficult to make the large objects of the next stages.

I plan to make a game of my own in the style of SONIC, as it's hard to get people to make the assets, I'm learning to make them myself, it will take time, but I intend to make it for PSX/Saturn and maybe a port/version for the SNES.

Here's a demo I made of the Sonic engine running on PSX:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 353#p21353

Image

video:
https://youtu.be/M4VZfUWhM3s?t=6
That's a very cool version on PSX. Nice touch with the semi-transparent water and wavy reflection.

I'm curious, given that regular Sonic uses two background layers along with sprites in some places for the backgrounds, did you still have BG3 spare on the SNES version, such that you could have used it for a similar semi-transparent water effect as seen in your PSX version if you wanted to?

I really hope you do bring your new game to SNES. SNES needs some more indie love in 2022, especially at the level of quality and polish that you're obviously able to achieve. I can only imagine what you could do there.
Yes, BG3 could be used to make the water reflection in the background, just like Donkey Kong Country 3:

Image

however, Sonic HUD on the Genesis uses sprites, and on the SNES I didn't have space to put the HUD tiles, so I had to use BG3 for that.

SNES has very good hardware, mainly for Backgrounds, excellent palette and color depth (in fact, it's 15bpp equal to psx/sat), the transparency effects are the same as psx too (but with limits of combinations of course), the cpu, when well programmed, performs very well, the most complicated thing is the sound driver, the communication between the 65816 and spc700 made through ports with loop waiting, can generate losses of precious cycles during the active frame, Even so, it's a great console.
iNCEPTIONAL

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

I posted a separate thread about this, but it totally makes sense to just put the comment here too after you talking about being equal to Sat/PSX in some ways: If someone had told me this Trials of Mana boss fight was coming from a Sat/PSX game, I totally would have believed it:

https://youtu.be/TG-KDvn7Rl0

And this one too:

https://youtu.be/xjOU-qL4UNE

I'm not exaggerating when I say both the visuals and sound there could 100% convince me that I was looking at and hearing a game on a 32-bit console.

And that music, again, Christ, it's stunning the ambience and atmosphere it creates.

Sometimes, I realise that I actually have no clue just how good looking and sounding SNES games can actually be in the right hands. :shock:

I kinda wish someone would do a full 4K video of all the bosses in Trials of Mana now.
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiagoSC
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by TiagoSC »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:01 pm I posted a separate thread about this, but it totally makes sense to just put the comment here too after you talking about being equal to Sat/PSX in some ways: If someone had told me this Trials of Mana boss fight was coming from a Sat/PSX game, I totally would have believed it:

https://youtu.be/TG-KDvn7Rl0

And this one too:

https://youtu.be/xjOU-qL4UNE

I'm not exaggerating when I say both the visuals and sound there could 100% convince me that I was looking at and hearing a game on a 32-bit console.

And that music, again, Christ, it's stunning the ambience and atmosphere it creates.

Sometimes, I realise that I actually have no clue just how good looking and sound SNES games can actually be in the right hands. :shock:

I kinda wish someone would do a full 4K video of all the bosses in Trials of Mana now.
Yes, Trials of Mana is a really beautiful game, one of the best in the snes library (which has many), no other 16bit console of the time can replicate this game.
Ray01
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:12 am

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by Ray01 »

This 2D Sonic engine for PS1 and Saturn is really stunning!
Is it open source?

The fellows from the (recently very much growing) 3DO community might be interested.
Post Reply