[demo] SNES Sonic

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

LucianoTheWindowsFan

Re: [demo] SNES Sonic

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

BTW the SNES can do blast processing via the SA-1 chip, which helped reduced slowdown in some games.
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:27 am BTW the SNES can do blast processing via the SA-1 chip, which helped reduced slowdown in some games.
You can literally put anything on a SNES cartridge and, if it doesn't take too much power, it'll work.
A SNES programmmer with way too much time on their hands, probably wrote:hey ghuiz luuk@me i kann do blass procesing on muh snez cart w/ a cortex-a78 instaled
It'll be impressive to get said thingamajig to work in harmony with a SNES, but once you get it to work, it will work.

Poor enhancement chips don't get top billing...

Also nice bump m8.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
strat

Post by strat »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:27 am BTW the SNES can do blast processing via the SA-1 chip, which helped reduced slowdown in some games.
Is offloading calculations onto a second cpu really "blast processing", though?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

A lot of things were called blast processing. The important thing is that it can blast process, not what blast processing is or if it's actually used in any games.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Pokun wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:42 pm A lot of things were called blast processing. The important thing is that it can blast process, not what blast processing is or if it's actually used in any games.
Okay, then I'll say every console is blast processing when I use my very own personal definition of 'blast processing' that means 'exist'.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

While you can do great things with extra processors on the SFC, the moment you use a co-processor to just run Sonic you outright give up and admit that the SFC is inferior to the MD. :roll:
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

That's true. The use of co-processors may be considered part of the SNES' power, but one should at least limit it to the technology available and reasonable at the time of Sonic, which would eliminate the SA-1, Super FX and any modern stuff.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

If you need co-processors on the SNES to make Sonic work, Sega wins, period. The whole fun is making it work on stock hardware.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

You mean Super Processing (TM), since this is the snes.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Nintendo used "Power Processing" in print comparison ads such as "Smashing the Myth About Speed and Power". "Power Processing" in the ad refers specifically to three things: HDMA affecting things other than BGxHOFS, background mode 7, and color math.

It appears Nintendo was choosing specific hardware features to put under the "Power Processing" umbrella to make the company appear more transparent than Sega, which failed to formally define "Blast Processing". If I had to pick anything to be "Blast Processing", it'd be the 68000's support for calculations with a 32-bit result (such as 32+32 add and 16x16 multiply) along with ability of decompression routines and tilemap update routines to perform mid-screen PIO writes to VRAM.
Señor Ventura

Post by Señor Ventura »

tepples wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 amHDMA affecting things other than BGxHOFS
I’m in blank right now... What is this?.
stan423321

Post by stan423321 »

Well, it's H-blank DMA, except for the special case that Megan's VDP could handle by itself (individual pixel/tile row scrolling).
Maxwelthuthu

Post by Maxwelthuthu »

SA-1, the lazy programmer best friend
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Maxwelthuthu wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:53 pm SA-1, the lazy programmer best friend
When you make it harder to manufacture cartridges of your game simply because you don't give a shit.
calima

Post by calima »

Or it's an intentional screw-you to the repro makers profiting off others' work.