Loading and running 65816 code with Super Game Boy

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Nikku4211

Re: Loading and running 65816 code with Super Game Boy

Post by Nikku4211 »

Oziphantom wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:37 pm I might be quirky enough to get a wider "demo" group interest.
Oop SGB-required demoscene.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

It does require the developers to be familiar with both the Game Boy and the SNES. But yeah this would make a great and unique Compo.
calima

Post by calima »

calima wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:59 am Win by default is the best kind of win :beer:
Ami

Post by Ami »

Nikku4211 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 am Ah, nice, storing a SNES game in a GB ROM so that you can play it on a GB flashcart. Real clever.

Anyone wanna play Space Invaders?
NovaSquirrel wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:37 am I'm intending on including a SNES version on a Game Boy Color project I'm working on, since SNES is significantly easier for me so it's no problem. I'm thinking I'm gonna upload a small bootloader to the SNES (probably in Bank 7F since Pandocs says it's entirely unused), JUMP to it, and make the Game Boy side start acting as a block device to fetch the rest of the stuff it needs. I could even potentially share data between the two versions of the game.
tepples wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:01 pm Not necessarily. The ROM I envision would be designed as a polyglot. If burned onto a GB cart and launched through JP $0100 from the SGB, sector reading would make requests from the GB through the ICD2. If burned onto a Super NES cart and launched through JMP ($FFFC), it'd just use MVN. And if burned onto a GB cart and launched through JP $0100 on a handheld or Game Boy Player, it'd play a GB-mode side quest.
Has anyone had any luck doing this?