trying to make a Faxanadu Restoration repro

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
BokuNES

trying to make a Faxanadu Restoration repro

Post by BokuNES »

hi again, so, like the title says, i tryed to make a faxanadu restoration repro using a hvc-snrom-05, im using a m27c4001 eprom to make this task, and first there was a grey screen, when i investigate i see on the s(x)roms boards that the snrom only can take 2mbits of prg rom, so using the 11 pin of the mmc1a mapper (i lifted) i was able to have the m27c4001 working on the system conecting the mmc1a lifted pin with the /a18 pin of the eprom,so yeap the game work but then i realised that the game freezes when the dialogues text appears, thats because the wram stop working cause the mmc1a pin 11 is used onto the /we wram, so the thing is, how can i fix this, there is a way to modify the board and have the 27c4001 and the wram working together?

pd; i see on the nesdev wiki that the surom boards works with my requirements, but i dont have this kind of board ; (
Quietust

Re: trying to make a Faxanadu Restoration repro

Post by Quietust »

BokuNES wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm hi again, so, like the title says, i tryed to make a faxanadu restoration repro using a hvc-snrom-05, im using a m27c4001 eprom to make this task, and first there was a grey screen, when i investigate i see on the s(x)roms boards that the snrom only can take 2mbits of prg rom, so using the 11 pin of the mmc1a mapper (i lifted) i was able to have the m27c4001 working on the system conecting the mmc1a lifted pin with the /a18 pin of the eprom,so yeap the game work but then i realised that the game freezes when the dialogues text appears, thats because the wram stop working cause the mmc1a pin 11 is used onto the /we wram, so the thing is, how can i fix this, there is a way to modify the board and have the 27c4001 and the wram working together?

pd; i see on the nesdev wiki that the surom boards works with my requirements, but i dont have this kind of board ; (
Faxanadu uses only has 256 KB of PRG ROM, so an SNROM board should work just fine (instead of the SGROM board it normally uses).

What makes you think that you need the SUROM board (which is specifically designed to support 512 KB of PRG ROM by repurposing one of the CHR bank bits and is thus incompatible with all other MMC1-using boards)?
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

cause this is a hack uses all the 4 mbits space (doubles the space) and have save funtion, thats the reason
tepples

Post by tepples »

So the game has been converted from SNROM to SUROM, and now you want to do the same to a cartridge board. This conversion is straightforward. MMC1 CHR A16 output goes to PRG RAM /CE on SNROM. SUROM instead connects PRG RAM /CE to ground and runs CHR A16 to PRG ROM A18.
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

again, thanks for all, it works great, its a very good hack"!