The Epic Game of Impossibility

Moderator: Moderators

dougeff

The Epic Game of Impossibility

Post by dougeff »

It has been said that you can't complete a full sized NES game in 3 days. Well, I have proved that wrong. I made this game this weekend, and it is 100% completed.

Get ready for a challenge. Can you beat this game? Do you have what it takes?

Twice as big as Super Mario Bros. and I would have made it even bigger, if I had the room to spare. This game is EPIC! A must play game of 2020.

Attachments
EpicGame.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Last edited by dougeff on Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
yaros

Re: The Epic Game of Impossibility

Post by yaros »

Wow, this game is hard. I could barely pass the first level. Nice job!
calima

Post by calima »

I love the music <3
dink

Post by dink »

Certainly the best game of 2020 so far :)
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I think enough time has passed to discuss.

I could only fit 8 seconds of FMV with audio into 64k. I wanted to do 16 seconds, the entire chorus, but the audio was too lousy at reduced sample rate.

This is PCM at 4000 Hz x 8 seconds = 32k audio. That's pretty much the low end of audio quality. I checked a few other games with PCM, and they are using about 4000 Hz, roughly.

Video is 30x20 tiles (600 bytes per image) 6 frames per second, x 8 seconds = 28800 bytes, with space left over for CHR and programming.

I think the video could have been better. I only made 13 kinds of tiles. If I used CHR compression, I'm sure it would have looked better with 256 tiles. Probably.

The full video is about 3:30, which at this rate would take about 1.7 MBytes. Much larger than any actual mapper would have available. I think a 512 kB UNROM mapper could maybe do 1 minute.

By the way, with a little refinement, this technique could be used to make a special message ROM, like a birthday message or something. Though, I did have to manually take screen caps and convert them to 30x20 images... I did really complete this in one weekend.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
frantik

Post by frantik »

Nice job.. speaking on the audio, 4kHz is pretty low, though it's still possible to tell what the music is. Impressive you were able to stream the video with the audio, it's a bit warbly but that can't be helped with so much happening every frame. You left a lot of headroom in the audio though, with 7 bits you want to use em all up! :beer:

I assume you've seen this...