Why don't we have a SNES Game Jam?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Nikku4211

Re: Why don't we have a SNES Game Jam?

Post by Nikku4211 »

lfg.jpg
drludos wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:47 pm Regarding limitations, I feel that maybe, for a first event, it would be better to avoid any technical limitations / restrictions. Simply coming up a with "theme" so all the entries are somewhat linked together feels better to me (but this is only my personal opinion of course).
What do you mean? Of course you can't get past the technical limitations and restrictions on SNES without using an enhancement chip, which barely any SNES homebrew developer uses(unless you count ROM hacking).
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
calima

Post by calima »

I would probably take part, and it probably would pull random folks from elsewhere too. It's just a matter of someone organizing, for which there hasn't been much volunteering.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

You could try asking on Pouet and RHDN.
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

calima wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:22 am I would probably take part, and it probably would pull random folks from elsewhere too. It's just a matter of someone organizing, for which there hasn't been much volunteering.
Nikku4211 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 am I would happily want to collaborate with you or Dash8m8 for the jam.
When I said this, I meant collaborating with the organisation of the jam.
olddb

Post by olddb »

Someone should make some sort of announcement in the SNES Discord.

We should also do it after March 1, as that's the deadline for the current NES comp. We don't want to overlap the dates, as some of the participants may be the same.
calima

Post by calima »

There's a SNES discord? Because of course there is. inb4 they have had 4 jams already and didn't bother to inform those old cranks on that steam-operated forum thingy.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

olddb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:02 pm Someone should make some sort of announcement in the SNES Discord.
Which one? I'm in Kaydus' SNESDev Discord.
olddb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:02 pm We should also do it after March 1, as that's the deadline for the current NES comp. We don't want to overlap the dates, as some of the participants may be the same.
Yeah, though some of the participants of that comp might simply not be interested in making SNES homebrew anyway, either because SNES homebrew is hard to match expectations for, or they simply were too old when the SNES came out.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Still, there should be many SNES fans among NES fans, and the SNES is similar enough to program for. A lot of people here did grow up with both.
hibber22

Post by hibber22 »

I would join, it's been a while since I've programmed in c for a 16 bit system.
drludos

Post by drludos »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:48 pm
drludos wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:47 pm Regarding limitations, I feel that maybe, for a first event, it would be better to avoid any technical limitations / restrictions. Simply coming up a with "theme" so all the entries are somewhat linked together feels better to me (but this is only my personal opinion of course).
What do you mean? Of course you can't get past the technical limitations and restrictions on SNES without using an enhancement chip, which barely any SNES homebrew developer uses(unless you count ROM hacking).
No, I was simply referring to putting extra "technical" limitations in the Jam guidelines, like putting a limit on ROM size. Of course the fun of such a Jam is making a brand new game fitting with the actual technical limitations of the SNES, and I can imagine that every entry will indeed avoid using any enhancement chip. Although it would be very cool to see a Super-FX powered homebrew game!
Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
Support my work and get access to beta and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos
DarkKobold

Post by DarkKobold »

Nikku4211 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 am There are methods to make SNES games in C, such as PVSNESLib. Sure, it's not optimal for performance, but it probably will be faster to develop, especially for newbies who want to join the community and just have some fun.
I actually chatted with Alekmaul about switching PVSNESlib from tcc to VBC - he seemed interested. So even if PVSNESLib isn't great right now (thanks to tcc) it might be good in the future if they get that collaboration going.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

DarkKobold wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:56 pm
Nikku4211 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 am There are methods to make SNES games in C, such as PVSNESLib. Sure, it's not optimal for performance, but it probably will be faster to develop, especially for newbies who want to join the community and just have some fun.
I actually chatted with Alekmaul about switching PVSNESlib from tcc to VBC - he seemed interested. So even if PVSNESLib isn't great right now (thanks to tcc) it might be good in the future if they get that collaboration going.
Awesome uwu.
olddb

Post by olddb »

Participants so far:

drludos
Nikku4211
olddb
calima
hibber22

How did things go in the discord?
DashEightMate

Post by DashEightMate »

Sorry I've ghosted yall since I posted the thread. I'm glad I could spark this. I'd love to participate as long as the timeframe and technical limitations aren't too restrictive.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:48 pm lfg.jpg
So you're actually going to write some code? :D